Sold it back.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Should have gone for a stick shift, less complicated, less issues more fun.
Um.... Have you seen the TSB for the 18 MT82?? Mass manufactured cars will always have an issue here and there. Since it was a new car with few miles the OP could have lemon lawed it.
Sponsored

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Both manual and auto 18 mustangs are having some issues. Seems like a lot of people are bending the shift forks in the manuals and ford is replacing whole transmissions because parts are on back order to just fix them. It looks like the 15-17 cars had the most reliable MT82s even though once the shift fork issue gets solved I think the 18s will have the strongest MT82s.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Thread starts out with OP having issues with a car that was clearly defective straight off the assembly line and it turns into ANOTHER manual vs. Auto debate. What is wrong with people on here? OP had bad luck, could happen to anybody with any transmission. It's a car, there's always a risk that it wont work right. I know people with $100K Porsches and BMWs that they drove off the lot with single digit miles that had a ton of problems. Sh*t happens. OP should have lemon lawed or fought with Ford for a new Stang. You jumped in that bath and came out on the worst end of something that isn't even your fault.

In b4 lock :lock1:

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
It is a shame that one has to experience issues with 'things'. Alas, you were able to get some type of resolution, albeit, not your choice of resolution.

Fingers crossed that you are able to get into a Mustang of your choice now.
I have had my '18 Mustang GT PP (automatic) for about 3 weeks now (almost 4). And, that is with it spending a week at the dealer (various issues - plenty of threads I have posted about it). So, I feel your pain, a little.

rvercoe218

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 convertible
Something is fishy here... the dealer can install a recorder that will verify your complaint and save the codes when it occurs... also there is a lemon law that protects you as long as it's a same repair they have attempted 3 times without success... Ford hotline it's self would have helped.... selling back to the deal at a wholesale price is just nuts... don't know of many dealers who would buy a car with an issue like that... huge liability...

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Something is fishy here... the dealer can install a recorder that will verify your complaint and save the codes when it occurs... also there is a lemon law that protects you as long as it's a same repair they have attempted 3 times without success... Ford hotline it's self would have helped.... selling back to the deal at a wholesale price is just nuts... don't know of many dealers who would buy a car with an issue like that... huge liability...
I have no idea on the recorder. I figured the ecu logged them. It only threw codes the first time. And the dealer replaced a bunch of parts including the valve body around 2,000 miles. The next time to service department the tech said the tranny was going through the relearning process. After that it happened a couple more times. Where it would either “miss” an upshift and act like I was in neutral or downshift so hard it would skid the rear tires. All of this while I was in auto.

The tech said there was nothing he could do if he couldn’t recreate the malfunction or pull the error codes. It wasn’t throwing error codes though.

I was at the point I didn’t want to drive the damn car anymore. The last time it locked up the tires shifting from 3-4 coming out of a sweeping corner. I almost spun out and slammed into it the guard rail. So I was done risking my life while waiting for it to throw a error code.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What was the name of your Dealer..?

They should be outed, for not initiating a Ford Motor Co buyback, & instead hosing you over..

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe I’m off. But I can see the dealers point of view.

Think how many people would start lemon law’ing a car they were tired of or had buyers remorse if all it took was a complaint of a problem that the dealer had no proof even happened or couldn’t replicate. I under stand and if it was throwing codes or happened enough to replicate on a test drive, but it wasn’t.

Sponsored

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
I heard that manual mustangs are more fun and that the auto equipped cars smell like farts inside. True story

Ya sure.. its all fake news those transmission issues on the 2018's. Sure. That's why Ford immediately had a recall on the 10 speed and they just issued a second service bulletin last week for the 6 speed manual. Something about "inability to shift into 3rd or 4th due to breakage of the shift linkage" ( to quote Ford). Pass the Kool-aid.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wow, another automatic transmission issue....even on the GT. I just took a huge bath, lost 11K in one year on my 2017 Camaro RS with the 8 speed automatic. That GM A8 is just terrible. I'll never, ever buy an automatic transmission car again. The RS was my first automatic in a car- ever and I am almost 60 years old. If you don't drive a manual, learn how- the simplicity and fun driving one is one of the greatest things period. Ya it might not be the fastest at the drag strip but rowing your own gears- which when you shift properly is so fun- and you can drive spirited to get the most performance or you can drive for fuel economy and beat an automatic. Manual is the way to go on any sports car.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Wow, another automatic transmission issue....even on the GT. I just took a huge bath, lost 11K in one year on my 2017 Camaro RS with the 8 speed automatic. That GM A8 is just terrible. I'll never, ever buy an automatic transmission car again. The RS was my first automatic in a car- ever and I am almost 60 years old. If you don't drive a manual, learn how- the simplicity and fun driving one is one of the greatest things period. Ya it might not be the fastest at the drag strip but rowing your own gears- which when you shift properly is so fun- and you can drive spirited to get the most performance or you can drive for fuel economy and beat an automatic. Manual is the way to go on any sports car.

That's a shame to here about your Camaro. I've not shopped for a new domestic vehicle in a very long time and now I know why. It's hard to believe that after all these years the "big 3" still has more and more major quality issues. It's a shame. With the Mustang the new 10 speed auto had a full recall right out of the box as it was not indicating what gear it was in properly ( or so I read ) and now they are on their second TSB for the manual with the bad aluminum shift fork issue so if you want to drive one of these cars you have to pay the man and take your chances. Strange.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Did you take the Ford tech on one of these spirited drives to show him the issue? Or did you just trust they would drive it and find out?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I've not shopped for a new domestic vehicle in a very long time and now I know why. It's hard to believe that after all these years the "big 3" still has more and more major quality issues.
We are lucky that the big three still make these vehicles at a cost that many can afford.

Would be much easier to make boring econo boxes like everyone else and get the magazine awards for best quality.

If making a 450+ HP super reliable vehicle for 35K was so easy everyone would do it.
Sponsored