Sponsored

EU model news: Why it's different, ordering reduction coming, Gen 7 in the works

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Also if ford Europe is involved in the next gen spec and design from day one, then there is no reason why the halo variant won’t be available for export too! They may even build export market cars outside of the USA too to take advantage of reduction in import duties.
I guess there's a lot of work necassary to make the GT350 or GT500 fine by EU regulations (noise, pollution, etc). But if they are involved in 7th gen from the start, maybe they find a way to make the next big models fit for EU.

By the way, I was also told that if they make another special model like the Bullitt they are interested in bringing it to Europe too.
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I had the chance to talk with Jan Herzog, the head of Mustang for Ford Europe at the Mustang Event in Hasselfelde, Germany. We talked a lot about why things are different on the european Mustang and what Ford Europe wants for the Generation 7.

[*]Memory seats and BLIS are not available in Europe because they only have one pair of wires in the door/mirror and they prefered to use that for electric folding mirrors

Thanks for the info, and the translation sir. This point is an odd one in my mind. One would think the safety aspect of the BLISS option would out weigh the convenience of folding mirrors. But, I'm not as smart as the ones that make these type of decisions. :shrug:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
"First test of hybrid engine were crazy, they had no chance to get the amount of power on the road."

Huh? Does this mean the car was making too much power or desired power figures could not be met? Or, regulations could not be met?

thanks for the info btw its very informative.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
"First test of hybrid engine were crazy, they had no chance to get the amount of power on the road."

Huh? Does this mean the car was making too much power or desired power figures could not be met? Or, regulations could not be met?

thanks for the info btw its very informative.
I meant the engine was producing so much power that their car setup was not able to handle it :D
Of course you should not conclude anything about the final hybrid model out of this since this was just a test and production cars usally are tuned to a good mix between power and durability. I guess it's more interesting for the next Halo models

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I wish Ford would forget about the Mustang for Europe.

Trying to make it work in North America and Europe is going to drive up prices, and hurt aesthetics and performance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)

Trying to make it work in North America and Europe is going to drive up prices, and hurt aesthetics and performance.
It's not that hard to make a car that fits both laws. Mostly it's all about adding bigger mirrors with included turn signals for EU, adding sidemarker orange and red sidemarkers for US market and change turn signal color on the rear (orange for EU, use the brake light for US).

Of course you have to adjust the exhaust and engine for european pollution and noise laws, but it's really just Ford who went blind into joining the european market and stumpled over the laws. I really doubt it would have hurt any aesthetics to just develop rearlight turn signal that are bright enough to allow red lenses in Europe. Audi is doing it, so it's just a question of will.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Reduced numbers will be good news for Americans stationed in Europe..."how much for this 'slightly-used' Mustang?"

Thanks for the info, and the translation sir. This point is an odd one in my mind. One would think the safety aspect of the BLISS option would out weigh the convenience of folding mirrors. But, I'm not as smart as the ones that make these type of decisions. :shrug:
Logical from a European perspective. Folding mirrors are a near-must because parking spots and garages are so much smaller than in the States. It's amazing that cars don't tend to have door dings considering how you have to squeeze in and out. Speaks to respect I guess...and the fact that you pay a deposit for a shopping cart...

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

You're confusing Europe for the EU and it's associated regulations. Once/if the UK leaves the EU, the regulations will be less strict and as Ford is making RHD cars for Oz (plus Japan etc) it may as well make them for the UK!

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
It's not that hard to make a car that fits both laws. Mostly it's all about adding bigger mirrors with included turn signals for EU, adding sidemarker orange and red sidemarkers for US market and change turn signal color on the rear (orange for EU, use the brake light for US).

Of course you have to adjust the exhaust and engine for european pollution and noise laws, but it's really just Ford who went blind into joining the european market and stumpled over the laws. I really doubt it would have hurt any aesthetics to just develop rearlight turn signal that are bright enough to allow red lenses in Europe. Audi is doing it, so it's just a question of will.
He does have some points. The headlights are kinda janky for 18+ to fit EU laws. The hoodvents are atrocious in the 18s. They look like tacked on afterthoughts while the 15-17s are much sleeker. As you said earlier, the taillights need to be 5cm smaller, international engine pollution are stricter. This adds up and can change and make the car less aesthetically pleasing.

Not entirely deal breakers but I'd hate to have downsized engines to fit emissions regulations because itll be more practical to not make US specific engines. Turbocharged have so much power gains with aftermarket tunes but Id hate to have cylinders lopped off for regulations. Though, based on what you said Ford Eu/US want to maintain V8s so thats a plus for the near future.

Out of curiosity, since you own a Camaro SS in Germany, how much did it cost price wise as well as the taxes?

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Fully loaded (no sunroof) in Sweden from dealer

We got a new tax regulation so the car will 2k EUR more in taxes per year for the first three years.

With the shitty valuation of the Swedish exchange rate that is 42300 EUR for the Camaro.
Screenshot_20180720-081015_Blocket.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Out of curiosity, since you own a Camaro SS in Germany, how much did it cost price wise as well as the taxes?
I paid 50k€ (including 19% tax here in Germany) for my 18 Camaro 2SS, which is fully loaded with NPP and MR, only Recaros missing. A similiar 2SS in the USA would be $47k net price.

If I build a 2018 Mustang GT in Germany with MR and the stuff I want it's pretty much the same price as my camaro. But somehow Chevy has not tuned down the Camaro for europe (Chevy only sells Camaros and Corvettes in europe) so it's pretty much the same car in Europe besides bigger mirrors, clear sidemarkers and no 3rd+4rd DRL, but it has similiar performance to the US model and also the 3.73 drive Ratio.

So I don't think the design flaws of the 18 model are really caused by EU laws, I just think they went a little overboard with going for a more european appearance :ninja:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks for the post [MENTION=10422]Ace[/MENTION]

I'd love to understand in more detail the regulations situation for the red taillights/sequentials/tri bar drls. I.e. are they regulations for the entirety of Europe, or was it a regulation for one country & that meant that everyone in Europe suffered? If so, which country spoiled it??? :paddle:

MyStang59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY18 RC GT 5.0 10 Speed Auto, Magneride, Spoiler.
That would be a massive investment in tooling up another factory. Not impossible, but unlikely, I'd say.
Agree its unlikely Ford will build off shore factories now.

Wouldn't think that would happen with Ford USA, given what Trump has been saying in interviews as recently as two days
ago. But as you say, "not impossible".

Last edited:

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
In Australia we have to cop what Europe wants Read somewhere more Mustangs are sold in Australia than any other export market - including Canada and Mexico combined. Guess we are grateful for what we get.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
So... how can a US owner add those EU power mirrors while maintaining BLIS? :p
Sponsored