Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I didn't say slicks. I am not saying these are racing tires. Yes those Cup 2 tires are DOT legal. But they are legal in the sense of...I'm about to do take my car on track and I don't have a trailer. I need to drive it TO the track and BACK home again and I only have 1 set of tires. Mickey Thompson also sells a set of drag tires that are DOT approved. Yes you can drive them on the street...for same reason you would drive a set of Cup 2 tires on the street. You need to drive the car to the track.
Funny, I've got about 1,300 street miles on my cup 2's so far and I think they perform great for a uhp summer tire :shrug:

Ashpian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
If you go full tilt 401a, it was $54k MSRP iirc.YMMV :D

Not my DD, so no winter tires for me either. Hell I may just continue to run cup 2s unless I hear something good about the ps4s on this car.
I put PS4's on mine as well and I think the road manners are much better than the SC2's. Plus I'm not throwing rocks all over the car anymore which was the main reason I swapped them. They also are quite impressive in the rain, even going through standing water. Definitely not something you want to do at speed driving around with SC2's. Lol

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't talking about DIYers, rather the idea that $8,500 can make a base GT as good or better than a PP2.
Less then that. Plus your saving weight with a base GT. I also think the 6 piston brembos isn't a huge advantage on the PP2, other then stopping extra weight.

You forgot another $3K for wheels/tires.
Most people with PP2 upgrade there tires/wheels, so your point on that is moot.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Less then that. Plus your saving weight with a base GT. I also think the 6 piston brembos isn't a huge advantage on the PP2, other then stopping extra weight.

What about the chassis bracing, ABS and TC logic/mapping, radiator, front brake ducts, sway bars, and all of the other seemingly small and irrelevant bits (end links, alignment, suspension mounts, etc) that differ on the PP cars compared to base?

To truly swap ALL of the components that create the PP cars would certainly cost more post-production and using aftermarket parts.

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I put PS4's on mine as well and I think the road manners are much better than the SC2's. Plus I'm not throwing rocks all over the car anymore which was the main reason I swapped them. They also are quite impressive in the rain, even going through standing water. Definitely not something you want to do at speed driving around with SC2's. Lol
How's dry grip with the ps4s compared to the cup 2? Noticeable difference on the street?

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Funny, I've got about 1,300 street miles on my cup 2's so far and I think they perform great for a uhp summer tire :shrug:
1300 street miles across how long a period? Is the car a DD? Do you drive the car in the rain? 1300 miles doesn't mean anything without a time context.

One of the first reviews I've ever seen on the PP2 talked about dumping the tires if you intended to DD the car, as they aren't made for DD duty. :shrug:

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Sorry, but show me one PP2 owner who has upgraded their wheels/tires.
People due swap out the cup2s for a more friendly DD tire if they plan on DD the car. Maybe they keep the wheel, but they pick up a second set for DD purposes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Sorry, but show me one PP2 owner who has upgraded their wheels/tires.
Dunno if upgrade is the right word, but I've already put Michelin PS4s on the stock wheels. Next wheel/tire purchase will be lighter wheels to put the SC2s on next spring.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Dunno if upgrade is the right word, but I've already put Michelin PS4s on the stock wheels. Next wheel/tire purchase will be lighter wheels to put the SC2s on next spring.
I just find it humorous that a base GT without a tire/wheel upgrade (235 a/s on an 8" wheel) is going to compete with a 305 uhp summer tire square setup. I think the stock PP2 wheels and 305 PSC2's could hold their own on the track without a tire/wheel upgrade. To get something similar on a stock GT, you would be looking in the $3K neighborhood.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP

No it's not. We are making an apples to apples build comparison here and the 1LE has forged aluminum wheels that are NOT cheap. The Goodyear F1 Supercar's also run a similar price to the Cup 2's so I'd say $3000 is on the generous side.

That's not counting all the other goodies it has which people aren't mentioning such as a short shifter, HUD, two-piece front brakes with four piston rears.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Now that I've had both...15GT/PP with a bunch of Steeda parts under it, the 1LE is the better car. (chassis/suspension). I don't race it so I don't care if it's "faster" or anything of the sort but this car is better than the Mustang, out of the box, and cheaper too boot.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I've had both...15GT/PP with a bunch of Steeda parts under it, the 1LE is the better car. (chassis/suspension). I don't race it so I don't care if it's "faster" or anything of the sort but this car is better than the Mustang, out of the box, and cheaper too boot.
:cheers:
37263386_10156486564744844_2539750389897494528_n.jpg
Sponsored