Sponsored

How will GT500 compare to 8 Series BMW?

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
It should be, but heavy + powerful + RWD is tough. If it goes better than 3.3 I'll be surprised (that's what the Z06 does).
Well 3.3 is not 3.6. That’s a big difference. I mean better tires (I hope), improved suspension, some other trickery, it better rip off a low 3 second run.

That heavy comment has me a bit worried though. First time I’ve heard you reference the word heavy. Are you thinking it’s going over your previous estimate?
Sponsored

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
What would be absolutely a win would be for Ford to invest in Lincoln Sport by taking a detuned GT500 chassis and make a Lincoln Mark revival in AWD platform.
Cadillac is listening...

cadillac-promo-1.jpg

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Cadillac is listening...

cadillac-promo-1.jpg
They redesigned the Camaro and slapped a Cadillac badge on it? Side profile looks very similar.

2018-camaro-shared-01.jpg

Reactions: _M_

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Apples to oranges. Both will be great cars in their own right. A Demon to GT500 is the comparison I'm looking forward too. GM will go back to comparing Mustangs to vette's since nothing in the Camaro inventory will touch a GT500

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Apples to oranges. Both will be great cars in their own right. A Demon to GT500 is the comparison I'm looking forward too. GM will go back to comparing Mustangs to vette's since nothing in the Camaro inventory will touch a GT500
By the time the 500 hits lots the 2020 Redeye will be the only dodge it will compete against. The demon is an ‘18 model. And it will lose to a demon.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I've yet to see a demon run the numbers Dodge claims in stock trim with an average Joe owner behind the wheel. I don't like to bench race but if the GT500 is ~3700 lbs with 700-750 HP and a Dual Clutch trans, it will have no problem beating a demon or red eye.

By the time the 500 hits lots the 2020 Redeye will be the only dodge it will compete against. The demon is an ‘18 model. And it will lose to a demon.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I've yet to see a demon run the numbers Dodge claims in stock trim with an average Joe owner behind the wheel. I don't like to bench race but if the GT500 is ~3700 lbs with 700-750 HP and a Dual Clutch trans, it will have no problem beating a demon or red eye.
NOT going to weigh 3700ish. I and most everyone here wish, but ain’t happening. From everything posted here, I’d be happy if it’s under 3950.

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
How do they compare? I'd expect:
- GT500: Fast & Furious with Ford fit&finish
- 850i : Fast, isolated, with soft leather everywhere. but Boring.

They are not made for the same group of people.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How do they compare? I'd expect:
- GT500: Fast & Furious with Ford fit&finish
- 850i : Fast, isolated, with soft leather everywhere. but Boring.

They are not made for the same group of people.
The BMW will be fast. The GT500 will definitely make tire smoke. Whether the GT500 is fast, especially 0-60, is yet to be seen. Heavy RWD platform with a lot of weight in the front could be difficult to launch well. Real world street performance I expect the BMW is going to be faster. Maybe if Ford could have put the DCT in the rear to improve weight distribution...

I agree the BMW will not be a white knuckle ride. With a DCT the GT500 might not be very exciting to drive, unless it's overpowering the rear tires.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
BMW's M-Division is a joke now.... it is run by sales & marketing.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The BMW will be fast. The GT500 will definitely make tire smoke. Whether the GT500 is fast, especially 0-60, is yet to be seen. Heavy RWD platform with a lot of weight in the front could be difficult to launch well. Real world street performance I expect the BMW is going to be faster. Maybe if Ford could have put the DCT in the rear to improve weight distribution...

I agree the BMW will not be a white knuckle ride. With a DCT the GT500 might not be very exciting to drive, unless it's overpowering the rear tires.

Traction at 5MPH is what BMW's nannies are all about and what takes away from their cars. They are no fun and just meant for spec sheet...

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Traction at 5MPH is what BMW's nannies are all about and what takes away from their cars. They are no fun and just meant for spec sheet...
Good to know. I drove an M4 and it seemed fun to me, but not fun enough to buy. The sound of a straight 6 was a big part of the "no fun" equation for me.

Can you turn off the nannies on the BMWs? I have driven some Porsches and I got a similar feeling to what you are describing - too hooked up is boring. It sucks just as much having a car that is fast at the strip or at triple digits but tends to BBQ the rear tires during a launch on the street, though.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Good to know. I drove an M4 and it seemed fun to me, but not fun enough to buy. The sound of a straight 6 was a big part of the "no fun" equation for me.

Can you turn off the nannies on the BMWs? I have driven some Porsches and I got a similar feeling to what you are describing - too hooked up is boring. It sucks just as much having a car that is fast at the strip or at triple digits but tends to BBQ the rear tires during a launch on the street, though.

No, the nannies are built into their e-diff...
So it is always trying to guess what you are doing an adjusting... instead of being consistent & predictable...
Sponsored