Sponsored

Let's talk Ford continuing production of the GT350/R

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
I find this topic intriguing in the sense that the GT350 and especially the GT350R are limited production vehicles, ie, they are only sold to FP dealers and in limited #'s (or allocations). Those that bought may or may not have expected production to continue past 2017 or 2018, but now we have rumors of a 2019 model.

I have a friend that was lucky enough to get a Dodge Demon (he was a huge Hellcat fanboy and rode that into his Demon allocation) and Dodge is willing to hold it's production numbers down to a one year, 3300 unit production run, even though people are paying $30K-$50K++ above sticker. Certainly all of the development costs aren't paid for by Dodge, but they have decided to not go forward. My friend even told me that Dodge has been threatened by it's current owners that they would sue if Dodge produced more than "promised".

So why doesn't Ford want to give it's customers a limited run car that carries a ton of hype instead of just making more?

This is just for conversation and consideration here and to talk about Manufacturers making limited run cars to hype their brand.

And if Ford just wants to make money, why not make more Ford GT's? Why not allow dealerships to add ADM's to them? Why ADM's on the R but not the GT?

I found this article about the Demon interesting since it kind of relates to limiting production of special cars:

https://www.motor1.com/news/229567/no-dodge-challenger-demon-2019/

DODGE CHALLENGER SRT DEMON WON'T BE COMING BACK FOR 2019MY

Production remains capped at 3,300 units.

If you’ve been hoping to get your hands on a brand new 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, we will have to disappoint you. The automaker has no plans to produce the car in more than the initially announced 3,300 examples. And, actually, this fact hasn’t changed since the vehicle's debut.

Over the last couple of weeks, Demon fans have been sharing information from their local Dodge dealerships, fueling rumors that Dodge might continue to assemble the drag beast for another model year. However, the Demon will remain a 2018-only model, with no 2019 Demons coming.

“2018 only, one-and-done. The people who sit back and wait for next year are going to miss out,” Dodge boss Tim Kuniskis told Allpar.com during an interview. Through the last year, he has commented several times to media representatives that the Demon will remain a 2018-only model.

Of course, FCA could eventually go against what executives have said and produce more Demons, but this will put the automaker in a very delicate situation. Some people purchased the Demon only as an investment, based on the fact that it is limited to only 3,300 units and could become more expensive than originally paid. If the company decides to build, say, 3,000 more, those people won’t be happy at all. In addition, such a move could result in a number of lawsuits for false advertising.

But the production end doesn’t mean the Demon won’t live on, as Dodge is reportedly planning to use some of its components in an upgraded version of the Challenger. Chances are the next generation Challenger could also receive a similar version to the Demon, but it won’t have a negative impact on the value of the current Demon.

The fastest quarter-mile production car as certified by the National Hot Rod Association has a starting price of $84,995, but you could always spend nearly three times more and buy it from eBay.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
2019 is a band aid because the 500 isn't ready. What's to discuss?

OP
OP
MustangGT350

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Ford's ridiculous business practices with production of special vehicles (my opinion). So when people were paying $10K over for a GT350 and $20K over for an R, why didn't ford pump out more to meet demand? They certainly could have! Now that demand is suffering, they're going to continue to produce a "special" model another year while low mileage used samples are everywhere at blow out prices?

So what the GT500 isn't ready. GT350's are not moving off dealer lots as it stands...lots of them just sitting. Why? Because it's a $60K mustang, and a $60K mustang should be something Special! A 5th year model run, while the 4th year saw tons of models sitting, doesn't make sense.

Other Manufactures see the value in making something "special" by limiting production.. it helps hype the brand, increases enthusiasm, and brings positive attention and desire to it. Now it's one of those "I saw one of those at carmax for "X dollars", boy they sure have tanked in value" cars.

The GT350 doesn't need to be a "Band-aid" to put on a wound that doesn't exist. A 5 year model run for the GT350 in it's identical form just seems like too much.

If anything, the 2018 PP2 should be the "band aid" if they need one. I think most of us here didn't expect a MY2018.. and now we're talking the exact car in 2019?

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I overall don't care I didn't pay ADM.

More cars are good for aftermarket support but I thought when I bought the car 2017 would be the last year.

As for them not selling if I dealer has 500 cars they are not really motivated to sell the one or two gt350 they have.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It sounds like you're upset the value of your car might be less than you anticipated it would be based on more cars than you anticipated hitting the market?

I'd suggest this isn't Ford's problem. I'm not quite sure how the enjoyment of one's vehicle is based on how much other's perceive it to be worth or how many are available --- unless I bought it as an investment... which -- for a late model Ford Mustang - is making a pretty risky gamble in the first place.

I'm happy there are "plenty of GT350s" available. That means, at some point down the road, I'll be able to acquire more parts for mine --- or buy another one for a reasonable price when this one is driven into the dirt.

That said - I still have yet to see another R, and I've only seen one other GT350 in the 8mos of owning mine.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ford has a void, and they are filling it with continued GT350 production until the 500 comes. That's about it. If you want to talk ADM'S, there is a thread for that. I paid 2k and 5k and I don't have a problem with that.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Here is my view. Ford is a for profit company with an obligation to share holders. Their obligation to customers is providing a good product along with service. Did Ford promise only a 3 year run excluding the 2015 limited run? I agree 100% with the assertion that if you bought a GT350 for an investment you were misguided. The GT350R however may appreciate beginning in 5 years or so from MRSP. Those who paid the ridiculous ADM are out of luck for the next 15 years, at least getting back their initial investment.

With that being said, I bought mine non -R with no illusion of making money even if a were alive in 50 years. I would have done better investing the money in the market. I did buy with the hope it would depreciate less than the GT all the while I am enjoying a truly wonderful car.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Did I miss something over the last few days with respect to the GT350/R being continued for the 2019MY otherwise I would suggest all of this is pure conjecture.

Off hand I don't know the total of GT350's produced for the first 3 model years but do know that there were ~1505 R models built for the first 3 MY's therefore in my mind that certainly qualifies a limited production vehicle.

BTW, I would also suggest that the number of R's for the 2018MY will be less than 400 cars which would still keep the total number of R's around 1900 cars for the first 4 MY's.

Certainly no problem from my standpoint.

;)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Did I miss something over the last few days with respect to the GT350/R being continued for the 2019MY otherwise I would suggest all of this is pure conjecture.

Off hand I don't know the total of GT350's produced for the first 3 model years but do know that there were ~1505 R models built for the first 3 MY's therefore in my mind that certainly qualifies a limited production vehicle.

BTW, I would also suggest that the number of R's for the 2018MY will be less than 400 cars which would still keep the total number of R's around 1900 cars for the first 4 MY's.

Certainly no problem from my standpoint.

;)
Oh, and congrats Harry. I bet you are looking forward to that base R. I suspect yours and Mulligans may be sister cars.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I don't understand how anyone can be upset that other people have an opportunity to enjoy these cars. You have your car already. I have my car already. Who cares if they keep producing the car for more than we all initially expected? Yeah, some of us paid ADM but that's just the way it is. If you weren't comfortable paying it, then you shouldn't have bought the car. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to sign the check.

The longer they produce the GT350, the better it is for us owners because of better availability of parts down the road and better aftermarket support. Would it have been cool to have a more "rare" car than it ended up being? Sure. But I think purchasing a brand new car as an investment is a stupid idea so who gives a shit what the resale value is? Enjoy your car. Let others have the chance to enjoy one for themselves too!

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Oh, and congrats Harry. I bet you are looking forward to that base R. I suspect yours and Mulligans may be sister cars.
Thanks Tom as greatly appreciated.

It took much more work than anticipated based on some factors that came into play at the last minute but it all worked out in end with some tremendous help from some key people at Ford.:ford:

My car is scheduled to be built a week from this Monday (March 5th) and as you indicated I am hoping that Chris, Richard and myself will have all of our cars moving down the assemble time all at the same time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tom as greatly appreciated.

It took much more work than anticipated based on some factors that came into play at the last minute but it all worked out in end with some tremendous help from some key people at Ford.:ford:

My car is scheduled to be built a week from this Monday (March 5th) and as you indicated I am hoping that Chris, Richard and myself will have all of our cars moving down the assemble time all at the same time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes, I know, I caught the other half of the story. It all worked out.

I need your blend date. Google "ford window sticker" and click on the research maniacs link to view your sticker. I spoke to our friend about your car and you are good to go. When you have your sticker, I will put you in contact with him.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
To the OP

3300 Demons in 1 year limited production is way more than the 4 year total # of units the GT350R will have. So a 4 year run of (maybe 5 years) vehicles will still be more rare than the Demons.

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
It's still not confirmed, though, right? Or am I missing something? There's a lot of conflicting information out there about this topic.

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
I am VERY surprised that the GT350 run has lasted this long. Also, I am VERY happy that it has lasted this long. In my opinion no matter how many they make the GT350 will be a great car to hold on to for years to come because of the motor it has in it. I always felt like that and that feeling was solidified when my 20 year old son told me that he would rather me pass down a GT350 to him and his son that the 1965 fastback that is sitting in the garage (he also owns a 65 coupe).

Like I said before the GT350 should have had a 2.5 year run and we should be in year 1 of the GT500 now. What I believe will help some of you that want some rare special car is if they make the 2019 came with an A10 or the DCT that is going in the GT500.
Sponsored