Sponsored

Another Predator Engine Pic

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
SC2 almost certainly.
Don't be so sure. From my understanding there will be more than one way to option out the GT500 and the MPS4S will be in the mix.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
McLaren P1 and 720S, LaFerrari, F12 all have similar outputs and have DCTs. All also have fabulous launch control setups.
And that’s what I’m hoping!! But this isn’t an ME car or exotic so there’s not much to compare to! I’m really hoping it makes a huge difference and on stock tires (assuming MPSC2) can run consistent 1.6-1.8 60 ft and pull mid 10’s. Fingers crossed

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Don't be so sure. From my understanding there will be more than one way to option out the GT500 and the MPS4S will be in the mix.
That’s fine, I just hope you don’t have to order an over the top track package to get the tires, specially if that’s the only way to get CF wheels.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Great question. I don't know the answer but it's fun to think about before hearing the actual information.

In a low power setup the torque converter allows more low RPM slippage prior to locking up - helping get the engine up into the power band. I would think that there is some variation in how a torque converter transmits power though. A torque converter might not be the best way to control launching in various different conditions. I'm not sure whether modern torque converters have controls on them to change lockup based on a computer signal or not.

My assumption would be that when regulated by a computer a clutch can more easily control the amount of slippage while the computer also regulates the engine power output.

I'm interested to hear from the experts here.
Torque converters also provide torque multiplication during the vortex flow period, or during acceleration. During steady state cruising, rotary flow occurs and the input and output are usually within 10% of each other, or better with newer high efficiency torque converters. This is also the time when a lock up torque converter will engage, controlled by the computer. On the first lockup converters, lockup wouldn't occur until you were in the highest gear with low engine load. Now, the PCM's can lockup the converter in almost all the gears depending on engine load for higher fuel efficiency. With a converter, any launch control would be a function of engine controls, and the converter is just doing its job regardless of whats happening. It wont lock/unlock at any point to control slip during acceleration like this. A DCT car will be controlling slip with a combination of clutch engagement at first, and engine output.

Sponsored

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Stock HP level is always fun to guess at, but as a former GT500 owner, I can tell you that it's not really super relevant. In our Mustang club, which had at least a dozen other GT500's in it, exactly 0 were stock. Everyone had at least a tune, CAI, and pulley combo. For around $800, you add anywhere from 90-140hp, depending on the package / pulley size. Since this comes factory boosted and will have at least 700+, I'd say it's quite affordable to up it any asinine level that you may desire.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Torque converters also provide torque multiplication during the vortex flow period, or during acceleration. During steady state cruising, rotary flow occurs and the input and output are usually within 10% of each other, or better with newer high efficiency torque converters. This is also the time when a lock up torque converter will engage, controlled by the computer. On the first lockup converters, lockup wouldn't occur until you were in the highest gear with low engine load. Now, the PCM's can lockup the converter in almost all the gears depending on engine load for higher fuel efficiency. With a converter, any launch control would be a function of engine controls, and the converter is just doing its job regardless of whats happening. It wont lock/unlock at any point to control slip during acceleration like this. A DCT car will be controlling slip with a combination of clutch engagement at first, and engine output.
Great write up, thanks. So overall a DCT should provide a much better and consistent launch.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Y I'm sure the guys that were getting the info at ford on the dyno were reading in RWHP not BHP, but could be wrong, but hoping so.
Ford doesn't use rollers to rate engines. They're using AVL engine dynos. Rollers in the OE world are for emissions and they aren't DynoJunk 248s.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ford doesn't use rollers to rate engines. They're using AVL engine dynos. Rollers in the OE world are for emissions and they aren't DynoJunk 248s.
yes, I know what an engine dyno is, we have one at my local performance shop. I didn't think they would be sitting a car on rollers, backfiguring drive trane loss lol.
I actually thought at the time of that post that someone had tested the engine on a roller dyno in the test cars...lethals post.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
yes, I know what an engine dyno is, we have one at my local performance shop. I didn't think they would be sitting a car on rollers, backfiguring drive trane loss lol.
I actually thought at the time of that post that someone had tested the engine on a roller dyno in the test cars...lethals post.
You said the "Ford dyno" I'm telling you what and how Ford is doing it because you expressed consternation at "how" they were rating it. Now I see you edited what you said.

Nice collection of Honda's. Our guys in motorcycles would be proud.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You said the "Ford dyno" I'm telling you what and how Ford is doing it because you expressed consternation at "how" they were rating it. Now I see you edited what you said.

Nice collection of Honda's. Our guys in motorcycles would be proud.
Aye Captain, thanks, I love minis

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Great write up, thanks. So overall a DCT should provide a much better and consistent launch.
I wouldn't exactly claim that. DCT's can be good if properly tuned, but can also have issues (Fiesta). Almost every drag car you see built will have a torque converter and AT because they work and work repeatedly. But the DCT gives you a lot more options on modulating power delivery at launch, and can probably shift faster even than the A10, and support more power.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I wouldn't exactly claim that. DCT's can be good if properly tuned, but can also have issues (Fiesta). Almost every drag car you see built will have a torque converter and AT because they work and work repeatedly. But the DCT gives you a lot more options on modulating power delivery at launch, and can probably shift faster even than the A10, and support more power.
I totally see your point. And yes the vast majority of purpose built drag cars are TC autos. I’m just viewing it from building an all around production car.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I totally see your point. And yes the vast majority of purpose built drag cars are TC autos. I’m just viewing it from building an all around production car.
We've seen how good the A10 can be in the ZL1, but I believe if a DCT is implemented, it would outperform the A10.
Sponsored