Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
Im pretty sure the middle section of the bumper has some body color in it. They just happen to only show us the lower bottom black part in the video.
Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Raptor does it too
This^

Many of the SVT, now FP vehicles stay the same.

Usually because there is something unique from a body panel perspective that costs too much to retool for refreshes.

I am happy the previous headlights on there, I like them

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Raptor does it too
Raptor is different, because that was already out. The reason this is so concerning is because it's like "Hey, here's this great, brand new model!", but then they say "Oh, and by the way, our new halo mustang is based on the old model". It does 2 things negative; 1. It looks outdated, and therefore gives it less of a "halo car" appeal, and 2. it makes people think "Well, if this new platform is supposedly so good, why did they have to build the best model yet on the old platform?". Imagine what a mess it would have been if the GT350 debuted in 2015 on the S197 platform

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Raptor is different, because that was already out. The reason this is so concerning is because it's like "Hey, here's this great, brand new model!", but then they say "Oh, and by the way, our new halo mustang is based on the old model". It does 2 things negative; 1. It looks outdated, and therefore gives it less of a "halo car" appeal, and 2. it makes people think "Well, if this new platform is supposedly so good, why did they have to build the best model yet on the old platform?". Imagine what a mess it would have been if the GT350 debuted in 2015 on the S197 platform
2018 Mustang is only a refresh, not a new platform. Same thing with the F150...just cosmetic updates and a few new tech and performance goodies. I get what you're saying though, it does ruin the continuity of the look across the models (even though I prefer the old headlights). But remember like M said, Ford spent money and time working the GT350 to get it right and make it it's own thing. The GT500 is going to take that knowledge to the next level.

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I understand why it happened on the GT350. They got caught needing an extra MY.
They're not gonna re-tool the fenders and front facia for a 1 year run, just keep the plant rolling as is for MY18.

Seems like the GT500 was always gonna be a MY18 at least. Why not incorporate the new headlights?

Anyway, It's the best of times right now, Gents. We get to complain about the headlights on a 700+HP DCT Monster Mustang in the year 2018. In a land of Priuses and Hybrid Camrys.

Life is good.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's drastic enough that I feel comfortable calling it a new platform. Its basically the same differences between 2009 and 2011... Different engine, different transmission, different body, different interior, different options, etc. yet similar enough to be part of the same generation. But same applies to that, there would have been outrage if the 2010+ GT500 stayed on the 2005-2009 body style. I understand they put a lot of work into the GT350, but the only thing that wouldn't be able to transfer over to the 2018 is the front bumper, which 1. seems completely different from the GT350 anyway, and 2. the 2018 front was improved upon using what was learned from the GT350. I really think it's just that Marketing wouldn't let Ford drop the GT500 in 2017 because the GT350 was already selling so well and they wanted to milk as much as they could. Now that GT350 sales are slowing, they can drop the new monster (Also possibly why PP2 started arriving at dealerships when it wasn't slated for another 2 months). It's also a possibility that the engineering team fell behind, but I doubt that... Hell, they developed the whole new Ford GT platform in less than 2 years, and they're telling me it took them twice the time with more staff to put a different engine in an existing platform?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To me the new design headlights are so similar to the previous design that very few people would even notice unless they are really looking at them, or they are car geeks like us.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It's drastic enough that I feel comfortable calling it a new platform. Its basically the same differences between 2009 and 2011... Different engine, different transmission, different body, different interior, different options, etc. yet similar enough to be part of the same generation. But same applies to that, there would have been outrage if the 2010+ GT500 stayed on the 2005-2009 body style. I understand they put a lot of work into the GT350, but the only thing that wouldn't be able to transfer over to the 2018 is the front bumper, which 1. seems completely different from the GT350 anyway, and 2. the 2018 front was improved upon using what was learned from the GT350. I really think it's just that Marketing wouldn't let Ford drop the GT500 in 2017 because the GT350 was already selling so well and they wanted to milk as much as they could. Now that GT350 sales are slowing, they can drop the new monster (Also possibly why PP2 started arriving at dealerships when it wasn't slated for another 2 months). It's also a possibility that the engineering team fell behind, but I doubt that... Hell, they developed the whole new Ford GT platform in less than 2 years, and they're telling me it took them twice the time with more staff to put a different engine in an existing platform?
Well, not really…. Physically (speaking about the GT’s, not the GT500) the change looks more like the one that the mustang had between 2012 and 2013, it was not that drastic like the one between the 2009-2011. Or wait…. I got a good one:
It would be like the BOSS302; imagine not having a BOSS302 in 2012 and but until 2013 and that the 2013 BOSS302 looked like the first one and not like the second one. IMHO I like the first one better, maybe it’s the same thing with the new GT500.
BOSS.jpg

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I got a good one:
It would be like the BOSS302; imagine not having a BOSS302 in 2012 and but until 2013 and that the 2013 BOSS302 looked like the first one and not like the second one. IMHO I like the first one better, maybe it’s the same thing with the new GT500.
The Boss was more of an after thought...as in what parts can we stick on a GT
to increase it's performance and make it look like a Boss? Ford Performance went another route with the GT350 and really took a deep dive which really altered the car's sheet metal and proportions from a standard GT. Not to mention the specialty engine, first Mustang with Magride etc. The Boss is a great car but it's apples to oranges in my opinion.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I guess I'm in the minority. I really like the body color bumper.
Having two TY 350s it's different, that's why I like it. Something unique to set it apart... the interesting part will be how does it translate outside a rendering.