Sponsored

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ worth it over the DWS 06?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
EDIT: Nevermind, for my needs the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's in 275/40/19 are what I'll be going with.

But if you know of a coupon code for Tire Rack or somewhere that carries them cheaper I'd be much obliged.

Thanks! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
well the 06 is what a few years old? It's not the newest latest greatest tire on the street like the Mich so there's accounting for quite a bit of the price diff right there.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you want the handling feel and nearly the dry grip of a decent summer tire, while still being plenty capable in cold & wet, the Pilots will be your choice. If you are ok with a less responsive tire that's more focused on inclement weather, the DWS 06 is a good bet.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
love my as+3s ive had dws,s and they just feel mushy when cornering in dry weather.. im sold on the as3,s

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well the 06 is what a few years old? It's not the newest latest greatest tire on the street like the Mich so there's accounting for quite a bit of the price diff right there.
Not sure on when the Pilot 3+'s came out but I see youtube vids with what seems to be them from a 2-3 years ago.

Every review I've seen seems to hold the Pilots in higher regard from the DWS. However, one thing I'm noticing people talk about is they can drive in snow and handle well on wet roads....two things that don't make any difference to me.

I'm curious if there would be a better tire for 50-100 degree temps (40's in late fall before the lay up)...that would handle/stop that much better but maybe in trade for not handling as well in the rain and snow?

...or are the Pilot 3+'s pretty much the best of the best for my needs?

Thanks

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure on when the Pilot 3+'s came out but I see youtube vids with what seems to be them from a 2-3 years ago.

Every review I've seen seems to hold the Pilots in higher regard from the DWS. However, one thing I'm noticing people talk about is they can drive in snow and handle well on wet roads....two things that don't make any difference to me.

I'm curious if there would be a better tire for 50-100 degree temps (40's in late fall before the lay up)...that would handle/stop that much better but maybe in trade for not handling as well in the rain and snow?

...or are the Pilot 3+'s pretty much the best of the best for my needs?

Thanks
What you're describing is a max performance summer tire, or one of the few ultra high performance summers that mixes it up with the max performance category: the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Tons of reviews and happy folks with them on here and elsewhere. I know three locals here with them and they love them. They work fine in cool weather (no issues in the 40s), great in the dry, great in the rain, ride well and wear well.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you're describing is a max performance summer tire, or one of the few ultra high performance summers that mixes it up with the max performance category: the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Tons of reviews and happy folks with them on here and elsewhere. I know three locals here with them and they love them. They work fine in cool weather (no issues in the 40s), great in the dry, great in the rain, ride well and wear well.
Wow! Those look interesting. The treads are night and day from the DWS and Pilots that's for damn sure! I'll have to look into them more.

Any other brands/models to consider?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Those look interesting. The treads are night and day from the DWS and Pilots that's for damn sure! I'll have to look into them more.

Any other brands/models to consider?
I've been pretty happy with my Bridgestone RE760s too. They did fine even in the 30s last fall. Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the newer PS4S are the benchmark and are incredible tires. They're gripper but also more expensive.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been pretty happy with my Bridgestone RE760s too. They did fine even in the 30s last fall. Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the newer PS4S are the benchmark and are incredible tires. They're gripper but also more expensive.
More expensive, yes I see that. The PS4S are almost double the price from the Firehawks. And I'm not sure what more I'd be getting for that money given my needs and the environment the tire will see.

I dunno....looking at the Drifts and the Firehawks, I can see being out the door on brand new wheels/tires for under $1300. That's like getting my SLP LM2 axle back and lockout bushing kit for free compared to what I would have spent on the Pilots.

Only downside on that pricing is that's ordering from Walmart and having them do the mounting and balancing as opposed to paying Ford $100 PER WHEEL!! Otherwise tires shops around here are still high on what they want for m&b.

Thanks for the info!!

EDIT: Nevermind, in that size, walmart appears to not even carry them anymore. Bummer.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
More expensive, yes I see that. The PS4S are almost double the price from the Firehawks. And I'm not sure what more I'd be getting for that money given my needs and the environment the tire will see.

I dunno....looking at the Drifts and the Firehawks, I can see being out the door on brand new wheels/tires for under $1300. That's like getting my SLP LM2 axle back and lockout bushing kit for free compared to what I would have spent on the Pilots.

Only downside on that pricing is that's ordering from Walmart and having them do the mounting and balancing as opposed to paying Ford $100 PER WHEEL!! Otherwise tires shops around here are still high on what they want for m&b.

Thanks for the info!!

EDIT: Nevermind, in that size, walmart appears to not even carry them anymore. Bummer.
Tirerack will deliver to thousands of installers. Order from them! Great tire, you won't be disappointed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirerack will deliver to thousands of installers. Order from them! Great tire, you won't be disappointed.
But like I said, the places around here want and arm and a leg to mount and balance. Walmart is the only one that mounts for free if you buy from them.

What would be nice is if LMR offered the FireHawks already mounted and balanced on their Drifts.

Thanks

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If you can swing it, the A/S3+s are the tire to have. Really good grip in a variety of conditions. Mine had a fair amount of tire noise, but rode well. They wore well too.

Another tire place online to look at is SimpleTire.com. Heard about them on TV. Any reviews?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Walmart might ruin your rims...my local one will only work with stock steelies due to the equipment they have.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walmart might ruin your rims...my local one will only work with stock steelies due to the equipment they have.
I called up a tire shop near my work and was pleasantly surprised. So I won't be using Wal-Mart.

They only want $15 a wheel to mount and balance. And if I buy it from them, mount and balance is free.

For the Firehawk 275/40/19's a set out the door mounted and balanced on my Drift rims would be $754 buying from that shop. I think I'm going to go that route unless I can find a free shipping code on Tire Rack which will save me $60 or so. Plus it's cheaper up front from Tire Rack. It's the shipping and mounting and balancing that would make it cheaper at the local shop.

Anyone know of any coupon codes for Tire Rack??

Thanks

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I called up a tire shop near my work and was pleasantly surprised. So I won't be using Wal-Mart.

They only want $15 a wheel to mount and balance. And if I buy it from them, mount and balance is free.

For the Firehawk 275/40/19's a set out the door mounted and balanced on my Drift rims would be $754 buying from that shop. I think I'm going to go that route unless I can find a free shipping code on Tire Rack which will save me $60 or so. Plus it's cheaper up front from Tire Rack. It's the shipping and mounting and balancing that would make it cheaper at the local shop.

Anyone know of any coupon codes for Tire Rack??

Thanks
I would recommend having them sent to a local Firestone or Discount Tire. Firestone has been ~$65 OTD for mounting 4 tires. On my 275/35R19 they charged more because they're lower profile.
Sponsored

Last edited: