Sponsored

State Tax Experts..

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So I start a new career on the 26th of this month. I live in IL and will be working in MO. WTF should I do?? The withholding form asks what state the state tax to be withheld and for which city the taxes will be deducted in.

Since it asks those questions, I assume I need to list St Louis and MO. But then what do I file at the end of the year? Do I even have to file an IL return? Yes, I am an IL resident physically living in IL. Thanks guys.

Yes, I do plan on asking some folks who work there and live here like I do what they do.
Sponsored

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2016 F150 XLT
I would expect that you'd have to file in both states, since your salary would be from Missouri but things like property taxes and vehicle registration fees would be paid to Illinois.

It's an annoyance, but with software might not be so bad since it would automatically handle the issues like "what percent of your total income was earned in Missouri".

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
State tax goes to Illinois..city tax to st.Louis I'd suppose.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
As is often the case, you'll pay income tax to MO, where you work. When you file your state tax return it should have a provision (credit) for taxes paid to another state.

Since every state has its own tax law quirks, your best bet is to discuss with a tax profession who knows MO tax law. Here on the forum, you get what you pay for.

VertMustang98GT

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
As is often the case, you'll pay income tax to MO, where you work. When you file your state tax return it should have a provision (credit) for taxes paid to another state.

Since every state has its own tax law quirks, your best bet is to discuss with a tax profession who knows MO tax law. Here on the forum, you get what you pay for.
The 1st part of the above statement is applicable in most cases but the as referenced in statement #2....Contact the appropriate tax professional and they will be able to answer these questions for little to no fee.

Now, the filing may cost you some but it'll be done right.
Sponsored