Sponsored

Paint Chip Repair

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Several months ago I bought a Dr Colorchip, Grabber Blue paint repair kit, knowing at some point I would get a chip. Well I had two small chips in the plastic section of the front end just below the hood line. After using the repair kit, the chips are impossible to see or feel. Worked great.:headbang:
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Good to hear! :cheers:

What kind of weather conditions did you apply it in? I'm wondering when the best time and temperature is to do mine.

OP
OP
Weasel1

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Good to hear! :cheers:

What kind of weather conditions did you apply it in? I'm wondering when the best time and temperature is to do mine.
In my garage at about 60 degrees.

Swedish Meatballs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium - California Special
Several months ago I bought a Dr Colorchip, Grabber Blue paint repair kit, knowing at some point I would get a chip. Well I had two small chips in the plastic section of the front end just below the hood line. After using the repair kit, the chips are impossible to see or feel. Worked great.:headbang:
Awesome, ordering one now!

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to start a thread on this. A car in front of me today threw a piece of a tire onto my hood. It left a black streak. I came home washed the streaks off, now have small paint chips (7). Thanks

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
just ordered the kit for J4 from amazon.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I bought a motorcraft pen for grabber blue at the dealership parts counter after I picked up my car back in december thinking that would be the best way to deal with paint chips. I actually already had one on the edge of the rocker panel when I got the car!

I was about to pull it out and use it today when I found a rather nasty rock chip on the rear valence next to the passenger exhaust tip, and decided to look here first.

Once again, it's going to pay off. I'm going to try this first. Thanks a bunch.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
So what's the secret with this dr color chip stuff? When using per the directions (put dab next to the chip, then rub it flat into/over the chip), it's taken me about 20 layers of that and my chips are still only about half-filled. They were all the way to the aluminum on my hood. Is it better to glob the paint into the chip itself and just use the sealact stuff to level it down flush? Or should I just continue adding micrometers of paint via their directions over the course of the next 3 years?

Swedish Meatballs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium - California Special
So what's the secret with this dr color chip stuff? When using per the directions (put dab next to the chip, then rub it flat into/over the chip), it's taken me about 20 layers of that and my chips are still only about half-filled. They were all the way to the aluminum on my hood. Is it better to glob the paint into the chip itself and just use the sealact stuff to level it down flush? Or should I just continue adding micrometers of paint via their directions over the course of the next 3 years?
Ha yes I could see immediately that what I put on there wasn't enough, applied and smeared about 3x but it's still not entirely filled. I'll just make it count next time I guess.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I filled in a scratch and it came out pretty good, but I tried to use the pen tip and fill in some of the small rock chips. Didn't come out too good, the color is not exactly the same since the touch up paint is newer and you can see all the spots I applied it.

Definitely the right color though and it came from Ford, any ideas what I did wrong?

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Dr color chip is good for small spots or thin scratches. Deeper and thin is best for it. I had a guy side swipe my back bumper and it left two easer head sized spots (along with a big indent line) and this took a while to fill and never really looked right. Other small chips you need to get really close.
Sponsored