Sponsored

Bolt-ons opinion

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Hello there, I'm planning to do some shopping this Christmas and wanted to have your input on my shopping list. Note that i have no experience in modding cars before (only motorbikes :D ) so any input will help!

List:
1- cp-e Intercooler Kit Front Mount Delta Core.
2- MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System Race 3" Black Series.
3- MBRP Downpipe Off-Road 3".
4- JLT Cold Air Intake.
5- cp-e Blow Off Valve Kit Exhale.
6- COBB tune.

I have no intentions to upgrade my turbo or engine.

Also, what's the approx HP gain from the items above?

Thaaanks!
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Hello there, I'm planning to do some shopping this Christmas and wanted to have your input on my shopping list. Note that i have no experience in modding cars before (only motorbikes :D ) so any input will help!

List:
4- JLT Cold Air Intake.
6- COBB tune.

If your looking for Hp gains you are not going to see much with just those bolt ons . More than any thing that intercooler will help with lower charge air temps and keeping the engine from experiencing heat soak during hot ambient teperatures ..

That down pipe will give you a few head aches when you start smoking out your new exhaust .don't worry too much though there is a fix and you will have to gut your PCV system .

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Good list..

Injine intercooler I would look into it is bad ass..
Save the head scratch get catted down pipe no c.e.l
Only 5hp between off road down pipe and catted.
I like flow master dbx muffler my self keep all the same
Plumbing resi deleted and y pipe two dbx out back..I would
Put a.e.m charge pipe on the list they come with two 1/8inch
Inlets on cold side if you go meth or nitro now were talk in
I need meth all the time careful that stuffs addictive

You tube gt2300 I have sample clip

Stage 3 on access port with the list above will put you 336whp
And 370 torque not bad for a daily and 30mpg at 70 mph..good
Starting point tell tuned..I ran stage 3 for a year it was fun and
Quick..:cheers:

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

List:
4- JLT Cold Air Intake.
6- COBB tune.

Thaaanks!
I would recommend the regular MBRB race system, not the one that is part aluminum, part aluminum painted black. My black coat has rusted and looks awful and it has only been a year since I got the system. The paint flat out sucks.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Having been down this road before I'll add what my experiences are,

Excellent choice, nuff said

I like the way the MBRPs sound and the price can't be beat, See below for more.

I thought the MBRP was just a little too obtrusive (I'm getting old)and have heard they get louder and drone a bit (very subjective, but have heard it from multiple sources) with an off road pipe. Downpipes don't add a lot of power but do allow the turbo to breathe better higher in the rev range so you can shift at 6k rather than 5.5. Downpipes are also a warranty killer so keep that in mind. I think I'd recommend leaving the stock one on until your warranty is up.

4- JLT Cold Air Intake.
Cold air intakes do nothing on this car, they just sound better, Some actually flow worse than stock! Get a drop in filter (I prefer the green filter) and call it a day. That being said, I really do miss the sound of my MAP Intake. If you really want to, the airraid tube flows a tiny bit better than stock, but unfortunately, is just as quiet. Not really needed till you go big turbo.

Only a slight improvement over stock and again mostly for sound. I went for the GFB upgrade to the stock valve which gives you all the same performance benefit at a lower price while looking stock. If you really like the BOV noise and are willing to pay the price for it then that's perfectly fine.

6- COBB tune.
No off the shelf tune can really maximize the benefit of all the different mods you have, plus again you have to assume the warranty will be gone if you do. Even Cobb will tell you that you shouldn't use their stage 2 or 3 with different parts.
If you go this route, you should go for a custom pro tune from your vendor of choice. I prefer tune+ but I think you will be fine with any of the others on here

What I recommend for you is the Intercooler, and the Catback, leave the downpipe alone + the blow off valve if you really want the noise, GFB if you can live without it.

You should get the Ford racing tune (which comes with the GT350 CAI which makes good noise) which will preserve most of your power-train warranty (3yrs-36k miles). Have fun with the car and have some peace of mind in case the worst happens.

After 3 years, you can be confident that the motor is stout, then get a catted DP Cobb AP and protune with E30 for a good 360whp and 420wtq.

I went all out on day one with my car and it has handled all of the abuse the German autobahn can throw at it flawlessly for over 30k miles but that wasn't really smart, I would have been SOL if I did have a manufacturing defect. That's not a position you should put yourself in unless a $6-$7k repair bill won't hurt you that badly. I have the money put away for a built engine some day and if the motor survives at my current power (400/400 at the wheels) I might disconnect a coil and convince the wife that it's blown:ninja:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I went all out on day one with my car and it has handled all of the abuse the German autobahn can throw at it flawlessly for over 30k miles but that wasn't really smart, I would have been SOL if I did have a manufacturing defect. That's not a position you should put yourself in unless a $6-$7k repair bill won't hurt you that badly. I have the money put away for a built engine some day and if the motor survives at my current power (400/400 at the wheels) I might disconnect a coil and convince the wife that it's blown:ninja:
Very true, since you've had your car up to 175 mph.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Very true, since you've had your car up to 175 mph.
Yep, Like I said, not terribly smart. :lol:I think these are good stout motors but when you are approaching 200hp/per liter any manufacturing flaws will make themselves known quickly. I'd like to think I have a "special" engine but in reality I don't think I was lucky, I think a very small number of people were very unlucky (less than .5% according to some Ford insiders, I have no proof so take that number with a grain of salt.) and were, understandably, very vocal about it.

That my mustang has a "Special" driver, I dont think there can be any doubt:doh:

Reactions: Ebm

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I went all out on day one with my car and it has handled all of the abuse the German autobahn can throw at it flawlessly for over 30k miles
Glad to hear that your combo's been working out for you! (especially since we have similar mods). Which wheels and tires are you running now? I'm still on my PP ones and I find that they easily lose traction when I get on it, even when the road is warm and from a roll.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
All very good choice mods! Instead of running the cobb tune Id say get a protune if you are looking for more/more reliable power. There are many who use the accessport as their platform. However, if you looking to keep warranty and remain on good terms with ford, I suggest the ford performance tune. You just cannot have an aftermarket downpipe, BOV, mods like that. You can still have catback, FMIC, CAI (the tune comes with one but I replaced it with the mishimoto, sounds way better).

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Having been down this road before I'll add what my experiences are,

Excellent choice, nuff said

I like the way the MBRPs sound and the price can't be beat, See below for more.

I thought the MBRP was just a little too obtrusive (I'm getting old)and have heard they get louder and drone a bit (very subjective, but have heard it from multiple sources) with an off road pipe. Downpipes don't add a lot of power but do allow the turbo to breathe better higher in the rev range so you can shift at 6k rather than 5.5. Downpipes are also a warranty killer so keep that in mind. I think I'd recommend leaving the stock one on until your warranty is up.

4- JLT Cold Air Intake.
Cold air intakes do nothing on this car, they just sound better, Some actually flow worse than stock! Get a drop in filter (I prefer the green filter) and call it a day. That being said, I really do miss the sound of my MAP Intake. If you really want to, the airraid tube flows a tiny bit better than stock, but unfortunately, is just as quiet. Not really needed till you go big turbo.

Only a slight improvement over stock and again mostly for sound. I went for the GFB upgrade to the stock valve which gives you all the same performance benefit at a lower price while looking stock. If you really like the BOV noise and are willing to pay the price for it then that's perfectly fine.

6- COBB tune.
No off the shelf tune can really maximize the benefit of all the different mods you have, plus again you have to assume the warranty will be gone if you do. Even Cobb will tell you that you shouldn't use their stage 2 or 3 with different parts.
If you go this route, you should go for a custom pro tune from your vendor of choice. I prefer tune+ but I think you will be fine with any of the others on here

What I recommend for you is the Intercooler, and the Catback, leave the downpipe alone + the blow off valve if you really want the noise, GFB if you can live without it.

You should get the Ford racing tune (which comes with the GT350 CAI which makes good noise) which will preserve most of your power-train warranty (3yrs-36k miles). Have fun with the car and have some peace of mind in case the worst happens.

After 3 years, you can be confident that the motor is stout, then get a catted DP Cobb AP and protune with E30 for a good 360whp and 420wtq.

Man, those details on every point are really rich input to me!
I wasn't really planing to install the downpipe anytime soon (not before the warranty is over). Same for the the tune.

I purchased the Cat-back last night along with K&N drop in filter. Regarding the intake, I've seen many people saying a CAI is not really worth so I got an AIRAID modular intake tube.

Can't wait for my parts to arrive to install them!!!

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Man, those details on every point are really rich input to me!
I wasn't really planing to install the downpipe anytime soon (not before the warranty is over). Same for the the tune.

I purchased the Cat-back last night along with K&N drop in filter. Regarding the intake, I've seen many people saying a CAI is not really worth so I got an AIRAID modular intake tube.

Can't wait for my parts to arrive to install them!!!
Good choices.
The Protune is slightly weaker than the Cobb stage 1 but still miles better than stock while maintaining some warranty. The GT350 intake looks and sounds good too. You should leave the blow off valve stock too and just save the money.

As I said before the Airraid tube won't get you much on the stock turbo but is still a nice piece to have, Especially as you can make it look stock with a sticker. It will even work with the GT350 intake you will get with the tune.
Below is what people see when they look at my engine bay.
Enginebay.jpg
Turbo.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Glad to hear that your combo's been working out for you! (especially since we have similar mods). Which wheels and tires are you running now? I'm still on my PP ones and I find that they easily lose traction when I get on it, even when the road is warm and from a roll.
Shitty P-zeros, I drove my friend's EBPP with just the Cobb stage 1 OTS and was having similar problems

I am on General G-max AS-03 all seasons for the winter, which do much better than expected, I have to really be careful in 1st and second and just roll on the throttle to keep them from lighting up on a good day. On the autobahn, 3rd gear and 3k rpm I have no issues WOT if it's dry.

Wheels are in my sig, they are the lightest wheels I could find without paying silly money, Fronts are 18 lbs backs are 20lbs without tires. so less about 2/3rds or less of a complete pp wheel.
Sponsored