Sponsored

Places in MD or VA to legally test the car's limits

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Here's another recommendation for learning the car on a race track. You have at least 3 (actually 6 in 3 locations) quite near you. New Jersey Motorsports Park (2 tracks), Dominion Raceway, and Summit Point Raceway (3 tracks). Check their web sites and look for HPDE events. They are the ones that will let you on the track without full race equipment. They will insist that you start with an instructor, but the instructor is well worth it. You will go much faster much quicker with an instructor.

Best,
<TED>
Sponsored

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
appreciate the replys all - getting good info for fun casual drives, and I am thinking that Dominion raceway looks like a great place to get started with an instructor. Guess im not going to find that little known about abandoned runway ive always dreamed of :D

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
appreciate the replys all - getting good info for fun casual drives, and I am thinking that Dominion raceway looks like a great place to get started with an instructor. Guess im not going to find that little known about abandoned runway ive always dreamed of :D
Have you ever driven a car, at decent speeds, on a well-maintained private airstrip - much less an abandoned one? I wouldn't think you'd do it more than once.

I have a good friend who has a strip of black top on his property (he owns more than a couple hundred acres) and he's never figured out what it was for exactly. Just a logging dirt road that turns a corner and becomes smooth black top for @ 3/4 mile then then to gravel than back to a rutted dirt track.

We've used it more than a few times to line various cars up and even had a marker for the 1/4 mile - but not so good for high speed runs.

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Have you ever driven a car, at decent speeds, on a well-maintained private airstrip - much less an abandoned one? I wouldn't think you'd do it more than once.

I have a good friend who has a strip of black top on his property (he owns more than a couple hundred acres) and he's never figured out what it was for exactly. Just a logging dirt road that turns a corner and becomes smooth black top for @ 3/4 mile then then to gravel than back to a rutted dirt track.

We've used it more than a few times to line various cars up and even had a marker for the 1/4 mile - but not so good for high speed runs.
Yea agreed, was moreso just putting feelers out to see if anyone knew of any long expanses of paved road where I could just open it up. Appreciate the input

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

I ran the Texas Mile which was run on an active private airport runway(not a neglected one) and even that was far from smooth. At the 1/4 mile mark and then again at the 1 mile mark were huge drops in the pavement that could make your heart skip a beat when running over them at 150+mph.
Sponsored