8" Android Head Unit Review

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So, I picked up one of the units called the AND-8550.1 and here are some initial thoughts. I'll reserve a few posts below this for later thoughts and whatnot.

Please keep in mind, I got it pretty late last night, and I was trying to install it in the dark, while it was 40 degrees out- and raining- so I haven't spent ANYWHERE enough time with it as I'd like for a full review.

Initial thoughts- Unboxing it, everything seemed packed quite well. It's nothing to hem and haw about, out of the box it looks almost exactly like a TomTop, with another unit that replaces the factory CD player.

Installation was kinda wonky. Before attempting to install one, I recommend watching the videos on installing a TomTop- It's nearly identical when it comes to swapping over the HVAC board. I don't know if trimming is required on the back plastic, because mine was already trimmed from having a TomTop before.

Assuming at this point you understand the installation process of a TomTop or Moddiction unit, I'll move forward.

Installing the host (the box that replaces our CD player) didn't seem to want to align as it should reusing the factory braces from our CD player, and the wiring harness to the screen plugs in to the TOP of the host, which interferes with a cross-brace. (Again, it could be I wasn't paying attention) but I decided to mount the host with the screen wiring harness side DOWN, and the brackets flipped to the opposite sides. This helped a lot.

The wiring that connects the host to the car is somewhat cumbersome. Not because it's complicated, just that it kinda gets in the way. There is (1) GPS antenna, (2) 4GLTE antennas, an external USB to run to the Glove Box, and an external SIM Card Harness (ran to the glove box as well.)

With some creative shoving, I got all the wires tucked in, and fired it up to test. It was nice having my HVAC instantly ready, 'cause I was freezing cold and shaking like Michael J, Fox on a paint mixer.

It has a generic boot logo, which is very easy to change, and overall boot time is rather quick. Initial boot ran through and did all the Android Upgrading stuff of an initial start, and was still negligible in wait time. It picked up the 2.4Ghz WiFi network in my house 80 feet away without issue. I installed Waze and Spotify, they work great, especially with their own mutual integration.

There is minimal "Engrish," in fact I only saw it once, when the car starts, it warns you that your headlights are off if it's dark, but it says something like "Caution, the lights are closed." So far, everything else is VERY clean looking- Fresh as hell, with an OEM'ish look, but MUCH smoother. Despite the claim of being Android 7, it's not. it's Marshmallow (6) but I'm not complaining. Anyone who thinks it needs to be Nougat or Oreo to be viable needs to spend less time on xDA and get a girlfriend. (A real one.)

General Section Thoughts

Sound - It sounds stellar! I have a single 12 in my trunk that sounded good with the stock system, but now it's hits harder than Chris Brown on Rhianna's face if I want it to. I can hear her face starting to swella, ella, ella.

Display - Very responsive to touch, with a very intuitive UI.

Installation - Do this in the daytime. Take your time, and use zip ties.

Bluetooth - I didn't stream any music, but I will come back later to update, as well as checking things like OBD2 usage with Torque.

Hands Free Calling - This integrates with STYNC, but I'm pretty sure I can eliminate that. I called my house and left a message. I'll report back tonight when I check it, to see how it sounds with the integrated mic.

USB Ports - My Center console and under-radio ports might still work... I forgot to check. I know they're connected to something in there.

SWC's (Steering wheel controls for those of you that are new to this) They all work. Perfectly. Changing "Mode" is accompanied by what sounds like a tiny Asian Adjacent female audibly announcing what you've selected. (You Hentai pervs will love this, but your mom would be ashamed.)

Backup Camera - Mine is offline, so I didn't get a chance to check. Will update when I reconnect mine.

Screen Mirroring - Worked Flawlessly (via USB, didn't try WiFi) with my Galaxy S8+. I will never use this. Anyone who says they will, I wanna know why.

Android Auto - Didn't check. I can if you want, but I lump this with screen mirroring, because the unit itself is a damn Android, why do you need Android Auto to connect the Android in your Auto to the other Android in your Auto?

RCA Output - Yep. It has em. Did I try em? Nope. I'm tapped into my rear deck speakers. You're on your own, Cochise.

Disappointments -
1. Installation being a little awkward, trying to cable-cram.

2. Any time you change a setting on your HVAC, it pops up on the screen to remind you that you just did that thing you did, and stays on the screen for 10 seconds just to remind you that you turned the fan speed down.

3. No MicroSD slot. Not a deal breaker for me, it has USB out the wazoo.
No installation instructions. If you've never installed a TomTop/Moddiction unit before, it will take you longer than an hour.

A couple quick pictures:

Taken late at night, during installation test.

NightTestRun.jpg

Waze with Spotify integration:

WazeSpot.jpg

Spotify alone:

Spotify1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Developers and people who like to break shit only]

If you're interested in the Modding side of things, keep reading.

I found menus that I probably wasn't meant to find, and was able to get into some decent meat and potatoes here. The boot loader can easily be unlocked, and I think the entire software package is on GitHub for the unit.

It can also be selected to use the head unit as a USB HOST or DEVICE, which tells me ADB is a likely option here.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Reserved for updates/more pictures.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The jealousy is real. Looks good in there!

Any idea if it could support a Sprint SIM for 4G? Trying to decide if I'd want to do hotspot tethering, Freedompop free plan ($20 activation), or just tack on a ATT SIM for $10 a month.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The jealousy is real. Looks good in there!

Any idea if it could support a Sprint SIM for 4G? Trying to decide if I'd want to do hotspot tethering, Freedompop free plan ($20 activation), or just tack on a ATT SIM for $10 a month.
I'm not sure, I can take the SIM out of my HotSpot and pop it into the dongle and see if it works. It's supposed to support any 4G/LTE network, but it's also supposed to be Android 7.1.

Also, be not jelly- Didn't you order one that is supposed to be there any day now?

Last edited:

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Looking good so far!

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
[Developers and people who like to break shit only]

If you're interested in the Modding side of things, keep reading.

I found menus that I probably wasn't meant to find, and was able to get into some decent meat and potatoes here. The boot loader can easily be unlocked, and I think the entire software package is on GitHub for the unit.

It can also be selected to use the head unit as a USB HOST or DEVICE, which tells me ADB is a likely option here.
If the software package is on GitHub then the nerds on XDA can update it to 7.x and even 8.x once its released..... if you can find somebody on there to take it on.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If the software package is on GitHub then the nerds on XDA can update it to 7.x and even 8.x once its released..... if you can find somebody on there to take it on.
I'm not too worried about it, since there aren't any features in Android 7+ that would be beneficial to have in a head unit. I'm more interested in rooting it without bricking it.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
I saw the voice calling uses STYNC, i wonder if anything else does like the SWC? what happens if you yank the STYNC module?

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the voice calling uses STYNC, i wonder if anything else does like the SWC? what happens if you yank the STYNC module?
I'm going to try that this weekend when I have daylight hours to play with. It allows you to program the SWC to do whatever you want for the most part, the only reason I left STYNC in there was to retain the factory USB ports. Without it, they will definitely stop working, because they won't be plugged in to anything. (Although there is a cable they sent that I could use to connect one of them to the Head unit itself) I initially installed it with STYNC module removed, but the SWC's did nothing, and didn't even register. Then when I was reconnecting the STYNC module, I realized I forgot to connect the CAN harness. So, I never got to actually test it without STYNC. I'd much rather use Google Voice Search/OK Google/Google Now than the speech crap built into STYNC. I'll definitely try to get a video recorded and uploaded tonight.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone wants me to test anything on my drive home today or this evening, let me know. Bluetooth OBD is first on my list. Any other requests or ideas?

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
looks promising, thanks for installing and reviewing! Any chance you could record a video of you flipping through screens, etc? Pretty interested to see responsiveness, as well as curious about how long that HVAC adjustment notification hovers, and if you are able to make it go away my tapping the screen elsewhere, etc.

Also curious how waze functions - is it smooth as you are driving around?

Thanks again

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of questions here....

1. Does the backup camera work immediately at start before the unit boots up?
  2. With the temp control indication, does it give you anything that tells you where the heat/cool knob is positioned? Or is it just a static image? I've noticed the factory indicator on the knob is terrible to see unless lit up at night. Would be cool (pun not intended) if it showed heat/cool percent or bars. (Like the fan speed is currently.)
  3. What is feeding bluetooth audio from a phone like? I listen to tech podcasts and currently I can play through the factory radio with controls from the head unit. I'm expecting show names and pause, next, etc.
  4. How do the controls below the screen function? Arrows, eject, etc. Does the Tune knob work anywhere except a radio app?
  5. Would also like to see some video showing boot, backup cam, switching apps, navigation.
  6. Regarding install. Is there anything that needs to be done that would complicate return to stock? (I generally want to know this about any mod.)
  7. It sounds like your SWC Voice button is still tied to Ford Sync. What does it look like when you are interacting with sync? Just an overlay?
  8. Do both the Android OS and Sync have access to music on a UFD?
  9. I agree with you on getting the voice to work with something besides sync but I see an issue. What if I want to use OK google to play a song on the HU but want to place a call or send a TXT from the phone using OK Google? It seems like this might work better with Android Auto where all your data and communication is going through the phone. Doesn't Google Assist/OK Google require a data connection? Then again if assistant was tied to the button and not the "ok google" voice prompt this may work better. Just not sure how this integration would go. I would find myself wanting to use the head unit to access and control content from the phone.
  10. How is the screen in the sun? Wearing sunglasses?
  11. Does the clock support AM/PM format?

Last edited:

overd0sed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Do you have the link to this unit? Thanks!

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the link to this unit? Thanks!
From a quick search of the unit name he put, it looks like mustangrad.io. Not available for full orders yet, just early unit.
Sponsored