Sponsored

Stealthy Exhaust Upgrade Completed

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I recently completed my stealthy turbo back exhaust upgrade, which was done in phases.

Phase 1, 3" Corsa catted downpipe:

I chose the catted version to avoid stinky exhaust and for noise control. It still triggered intermittent CEL for rear O2 sensor, which was taken care with via tune. Other option is to use O2 sensor spacers.

Another reason I chose Corsa was that it came with end pieces that allowed me to mate it to the 2.25" inlet pipe of the stock resonator, with an option to upgrade to 3" piping later. I put the header wrap on the upper portion of the DP to reduce the under hood temperature. You can see in the picture below how the stock DP narrows down to 2.25" inch after the flex joint.

39475155875_6742fd963c_b.jpg

Phase 2, Borla Pro XS muffler, 3" inlet, dual 2.25" outlets:

Next step was to get rid of the next restriction in the exhaust flow, which was the resonator due to this 2.25" inlet. I chose Borla Pro XS muffler as it is basically a Y-pipe in a muffler. I stuck with dual 2.25" outlets as surface area of two 2.25" circles are greater than a single 3" circle. With stock mufflers in place, this setup sounded almost stock. I ran this setup for almost year.

39661173664_7942f9ebc1_b.jpg

Phase 3, GT stock mufflers:

I was content with my setup until I saw a post by [MENTION=11292]PewterCam[/MENTION] showing insides of a stock EB muffler. I never realized how restrictive stock mufflers were until I saw these pictures. Exhaust gases are forced to go through a restrictive screen first, followed by entering the inner piping that is less than 2" in diameter, before doing a 360 turn through that piping in order to exit the muffler.

39475608085_748917718b_b.jpg

26500812158_feae5af19a_b.jpg

While there are several great sounding axle back mufflers, they all come with noticeable increases in noise. I decided to look into stock GT mufflers as they can be picked up cheaply or even free from folks who upgraded their exhaust. If GT mufflers are good enough for 435-460 HP Coyotes, I figured they are good enough for stock internal EBs.

I found a picture of an opened up GT muffler and saw that it seems much less restrictive:

26500815128_2ec98a8a90_b.jpg

Added bonus is that rolled tips on GT (bottom) mufflers look better than EB ones (top) in a subtle way.

39661171464_d152258c65_b.jpg

39661172604_c3c6931d6f_b.jpg

Driving impression:

It might be just in my mind, but throttle response seems to be noticeably better with GT mufflers over EB ones. Perhaps bigger turbo flows enough exhaust for EB mufflers to become a choke point.

As for the sound, I hardly noticed any sound increase unless I was in a parking garage with windows rolled down. I'm thinking Ford should've made it easy and used GT mufflers for EBs as well, but perhaps they went out of their way to strict EBs as much as possible.

So there you have it; if you're going for a sleeper effect, catted DP, Borla Pro XS, and GT mufflers will do the trick. If you like loud exhausts, this is definitely not the way to go.
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I recently completed my stealthy turbo back exhaust upgrade, which was done in phases.

Phase 1, 3" Corsa catted downpipe:

I chose the catted version to avoid stinky exhaust and for noise control. It still triggered intermittent CEL for rear O2 sensor, which was taken care with via tune. Other option is to use O2 sensor spacers.

Another reason I chose Corsa was that it came with end pieces that allowed me to mate it to the 2.25" inlet pipe of the stock resonator, with an option to upgrade to 3" piping later. I put the header wrap on the upper portion of the DP to reduce the under hood temperature. You can see in the picture below how the stock DP narrows down to 2.25" inch after the flex joint.

39475155875_6742fd963c_b.jpg

Phase 2, Borla Pro XS muffler, 3" inlet, dual 2.25" outlets:

Next step was to get rid of the next restriction in the exhaust flow, which was the resonator due to this 2.25" inlet. I chose Borla Pro XS muffler as it is basically a Y-pipe in a muffler. I stuck with dual 2.25" outlets as surface area of two 2.25" circles are greater than a single 3" circle. With stock mufflers in place, this setup sounded almost stock. I ran this setup for almost year.

39661173664_7942f9ebc1_b.jpg

Phase 3, GT stock mufflers:

I was content with my setup until I saw a post by @PewterCam showing insides of a stock EB muffler. I never realized how restrictive stock mufflers were until I saw these pictures. Exhaust gases are forced to go through a restrictive screen first, followed by entering the inner piping that is less than 2" in diameter, before doing a 360 turn through that piping in order to exit the muffler.

39475608085_748917718b_b.jpg

26500812158_feae5af19a_b.jpg

While there are several great sounding axle back mufflers, they all come with noticeable increases in noise. I decided to look into stock GT mufflers as they can be picked up cheaply or even free from folks who upgraded their exhaust. If GT mufflers are good enough for 435-460 HP Coyotes, I figured they are good enough for stock internal EBs.

I found a picture of an opened up GT muffler and saw that it seems much less restrictive:

26500815128_2ec98a8a90_b.jpg

Added bonus is that rolled tips on GT (bottom) mufflers look better than EB ones (top) in a subtle way.

39661171464_d152258c65_b.jpg

39661172604_c3c6931d6f_b.jpg

Driving impression:

It might be just in my mind, but throttle response seems to be noticeably better with GT mufflers over EB ones. Perhaps bigger turbo flows enough exhaust for EB mufflers to become a choke point.

As for the sound, I hardly noticed any sound increase unless I was in a parking garage with windows rolled down. I'm thinking Ford should've made it easy and used GT mufflers for EBs as well, but perhaps they went out of their way to strict EBs as much as possible.

So there you have it; if you're going for a sleeper effect, catted DP, Borla Pro XS, and GT mufflers will do the trick. If you like loud exhausts, this is definitely not the way to go.
[MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] Are you still using the factory 2.25" piping from the Borla Y-pipe to the GT mufflers? The GT mufflers are 2.5" correct?

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Why not just get a cut out?

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
[MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] Are you still using the factory 2.25" piping from the Borla Y-pipe to the GT mufflers? The GT mufflers are 2.5" correct?
That is correct. I had the muffler shop weld them on, but someone with a pipe cutter and pipe expander should be able to slightly expand the 2.25" pipe, slip it into the 2.5" pipe, and clamp it.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Only comment I have is your assumption that the factory resonator and mufflers are restrictive based on visual examination has been proven to be incorrect.

After market cat back exhausts that are straight through and would appear to visually be the least restrictive have proven on the Dyno to add no or very little power.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Only comment I have is your assumption that the factory resonator and mufflers are restrictive based on visual examination has been proven to be incorrect.

After market cat back exhausts that are straight through and would appear to visually be the least restrictive have proven on the Dyno to add no or very little power.
Can you provide those dyno figures, especially for upgrade turbos? This article on WGDC suggests that full 3" turbo back does make a difference for upgraded turbo. "With the OEM turbo for example a 3″ catback on the Focus ST only yields 5-7whp because it is not a big restriction with the K03 turbo in place. With a GTX2867, a 3″ catback is worth 20-30whp at the 400whp output mark."

Secondly, GT mufflers are definitely not straight-through and I don't see a point of having 3" downpipe just to have it reduced down to 2.25" before the resonator. I'd probably kept the resonator if it wasn't for this since it doesn't seem to be as restrictive as the stock ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I looked back at my pre and post DP+resonator delete datalogs while I had the stock turbo. Following are WGDC% from peak estimate HP RPMs:

Pre
55.45% WGDC @ 5990 RPM

So it seems that even stock turbo can benefit from DP and resonator delete. The article above did mention that even the stock turbo gained 5-7 WHP, not as much as with upgrade turbo, but better than nothing.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The point I was making is you can not make an assessment on how restrictive (or not) an exhaust is by looking at it. The Ecoboost exhaust is very good from a flow standpoint because you see little or no gain by swapping in a full cat back exhaust. And, 5-7 HP is little or no gain, it's not enough for the butt dyno to feel.

I have a cat back on my ecoboost with straight through mufflers. As expected I see no butt dyno measureable gain in power. I made the change to change the sound which it was a success.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
The point I was making is you can not make an assessment on how restrictive (or not) an exhaust is by looking at it. The Ecoboost exhaust is very good from a flow standpoint because you see little or no gain by swapping in a full cat back exhaust. And, 5-7 HP is little or no gain, it's not enough for the butt dyno to feel.
I disagree, since you can visually tell that stock DPs neck down to 2.25" in order to connect to the resonator. This difference is even more noticeable with aftermarket 3" DPs. If stock Ecoboost exhaust is very good, I shouldn't have seen WGDC improvement from turbo-back exhaust upgrade. Stock exhaust system may have adequate enough flow to hit the target boost but I imagine the restriction induces lag and possibly reduce turbo efficiency.

And this doesn't account for lag reduction for larger turbos (which do show bigger gains with upgraded turboback exhaust). Even with VS2+, 285 width tires, cradle bushing lockout kit, and vertical link upgrades, I can easily spin the tires by mashing the throttle from stop or slow roll. I didn't see or feel any lag difference from VS2+ over the stocker during my data logging for tune revisions.

I've had older turbo'ed cars in the past and those see even bigger lag reduction (they are laggy to start with) with DP upgrade.

Finally, 5-7 HP gain is at the peak may be small but does it account for tune change? I hate using vendor dyno results, but Cobb showed 16 WHP increase from their Stage 2 tune by upgrading the turbo-back and adding Stage 3 tune.

I have a cat back on my ecoboost with straight through mufflers. As expected I see no butt dyno measureable gain in power. I made the change to change the sound which it was a success.
You didn't get rid of the first chock point, which is the DP that necks down to a single 2.25" pipe. That was one of the major points in my post, getting rid of that choke pint first, followed by getting rid of the second choke point in the mufflers.

If you went the turboback route, I don't expect to see noticeable increase in power, since torque target is set in the tune. Perhaps it would've helped with the lag reduction/butt dyno. Many forum members felt the difference in the butt dyno with DP and WGA upgrades.

Not sure why the article I shared mentions HP gains with a catback when the test was done with a 3" turboback.

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I looked back at my pre and post DP+resonator delete datalogs while I had the stock turbo. Following are WGDC% from peak estimate HP RPMs:

Pre
55.45% WGDC @ 5990 RPM

So it seems that even stock turbo can benefit from DP and resonator delete. The article above did mention that even the stock turbo gained 5-7 WHP, not as much as with upgrade turbo, but better than nothing.
The other parameter you can cross reference is Airflow Mass (lb/min) to see if it correlates with WGDC to quantify gains. Airflow mass should increase at the same RPM.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
The other parameter you can cross reference is Airflow Mass (lb/min) to see if it correlates with WGDC to quantify gains. Airflow mass should increase at the same RPM.
Unfortunately, Airflow Mass wasn't one of the parameters used by TUNE+, so I don't have it logged.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Thanks Bull Run...do you know which Borla muffler you would need to replace the stock setup? The resonator they make is only for the full cat back. I got the axle back from them so the rest is still stock.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Thanks Bull Run...do you know which Borla muffler you would need to replace the stock setup? The resonator they make is only for the full cat back. I got the axle back from them so the rest is still stock.
Mustang EcoBoost 2015-2017 Resonator part # 60560 has an offset 2.25" inlet with duel 2.25" outlets, so it matches the stock resonator piping.

Otherwise, you can also use a 3" to 2.25" adapter with Borla ProXS muffler with a 3" inlet and dual 2.25" outlets. This will give you an upgrade path you if decide to go with a 3" DP later.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Recent ambient temperature has been similar to a month ago when I ran some datalogs with same setup as I do now, except for the GT mufflers. I decided to run one using the same road to match the conditions as much as possible.

Not surprisingly, peak torque numbers (using LTT Torque Final) are within 1 lb/ft of each other. I was hitting the tune's target torque numbers with stock mufflers, so I didn't expect to achieve higher peak torque using the same tune.

However, peak torque was reached about 150 RPM sooner with the GT mufflers. This setup also showed less torque drop off at the higher RPM. For example, at around 6220 RPM:

Stock Mufflers
Torque 349.4
HP 414

GT Mufflers
Torque 357.2
HP 423

I had to end the run at that RPM as there were cars ahead, but the HP figure was still climbing. I'll try to run another datalog this weekend to see if there is more HP that can be squeezed out at higher RPM.
Sponsored