Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
After hunting since pretty much day 1, I finally found LE windows a couple months ago. From what I know, you can't just buy them from Ford. Even if you had a VIN. Pretty sure I was told you need an RO and possibly core returns. Still, I found them anyway. Fast forward to the last couple of days, and I finally took the time to tackle this project.

i-M83GhMC-X3.jpg

This is definitely not a project for the faint of heart. Obviously the rear section of interior needs to come out so you can gain access to the window. Just used hand tools to remove the window- feel like you have more control with a hand tool over power to make sure you don't scratch the hell out of the pinch weld. Side note- a second pair of hands does make getting the glass out a lot easier.

i-w8CggBK-X3.jpg

i-NKcsw2S-X3.jpg

After cleaning everything up and prepping the LE windows, it was time to get them in. Removing and replacing the glass isn't hard, but it does get a bit complicated when you factor in the LE's chrome trim, my lack there of and my dislike of chrome haha. So, while I was prepping the glass and tinting it (lot easer to tint them outside of the car on the dining room table), I also de-chromed them. However, this meant that the window would need some sort of trim work to match.

Mitchell suggests Betaseal Express for the job, which has a drive time of 1 hour. However, there's tons of urethanes and some of them are air bag safe in half that time. Once everything is prepped and ready to go, lay down your urethane, press in the windows and viola, it's starting to look like a car again.

i-9fFWcCF.jpg

And what they look like in the car, trim-less

i-fGJrs3C-X3.jpg

From this point, I decided to get the interior back in, then tackle the trim. Since I no longer needed my OE windows, they were the perfect donors for the trim.

i-rPjphWM-X3.jpg

The rubber moulding does not just line up on the LE glass. It took some test fitting and modifying to get it there. However, once it's fitted it does look pretty good. Overall I'm pretty happy with the end result. The trim fits tight against the inner seal on the window- I'm going to mess around with it a bit more though and make it all "one piece", for an even cleaner appearance. It essentially matches the door's 2 piece belt trim.

i-Rpsc8H5-X3.jpg

And, the fruit of my labor...

i-4f7Ft5k-X3.jpg

i-pHHhTcZ-X3.jpg

i-4D2Fb7R-X3.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looks good!

Did you find them on eBay, LKQ or via a online scrap yard locator?

Did you have to cut the black surround off of your originals? I thought the original surround is molded to the window, one piece, and would not be able to be separated?

OP
OP
Terminated

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Looks good!

Did you find them on eBay, LKQ or via a online scrap yard locator?

Did you have to cut the black surround off of your originals? I thought the original surround is molded to the window, one piece, and would not be able to be separated?
Thanks! Yeah, the originals are molded directly to the glass, so it had to be cut and then trimmed for the new windows
Got them from a scrap yard. Totaled out LE

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Very cool! Well done. How much did they cost you?

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
So...like are they functional or simply layered glass?? Do they open???

Sponsored

OP
OP
Terminated

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Very cool! Well done. How much did they cost you?
Thank you. Would you believe me if I said three fifty?
So...like are they functional or simply layered glass?? Do they open???
Just the stepped glass as the LE cars were. Miss the old vented quarter windows like my older Mustangs have...

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Nice!

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG

Sponsored

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
Were the chrome trim pieces bonded to the original glass, or can they be removed and reinstalled? I am getting ready to do the install, but I am painting the chrome trim black to match the car.

Thanks
James

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The chrome is glued over the rubber gasket that surrounds the glass. You could try to remove the chrome, but most likely it will tear the rubber gasket. If even successfully getting the chrome separated, the rubber will have glue deposits and most likely be deformed after removing it if it did not tear first.

Where did you get your LE glass from - salvage?

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Great!
I know you have been wanting these more than ANYTHING.

Cool project with nice results.
Sponsored