Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Hi Steve! I remember you thinking a couple of years ago that the auto might be a better bet!

May see you for a Crow's Landing shakedown early next year.
Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Can you cite a source for that information. Nothing I have ever read requires the angle or even the position of the hub for SAI.....regardless of number of ball joints.
The KPI is measured using the upper strut mount through the strut center to the lower ball joint against true vertical. KPI does not include camber and generally is not adjustable. Thus, true vertical perforce is parallel to the hub face. When camber is added the two dimension combine - called the included angle. Cite - SAE Training material. But what if you slot the upper strut mount and push the spindle inboard to create camber. You've just changed the KPI measurement to something other than true vertical given the new hub face position.

Now, enter dual lower ball joints. Which to use to measure your lower point for KPI? Since the use of this design creates a virtual steering pivot, let's use the virtual point. That virtual pivot moves with steering angle; thus KPI moves. This movement can be used in the geometry design to change camber, caster and scrub for optimized traction. But you have changed the design KPI from slotting, adding a camber dimension not considered in the design. This has a cascade effect regarding all other design dimensions.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Dick I'm being lazy but I know you always do the homework. Have you seen FSM documentation for the 2018 slotting procedure? Ordering Konis ... thanks/Des

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Dick I'm being lazy but I know you always do the homework. Have you seen FSM documentation for the 2018 slotting procedure? Ordering Konis ... thanks/Des
Not yet. Helminc shows the FSM CD available 12/30/2017. Keep checking since they said 12/30/2014 for the 2015's and it showed up on the website a week or two earlier.

Of course you could gamble the cost of a 72 hour online subscription to see if it is available that way.

If you haven't done so yet, check out both the Mustang and the GT350 supplement owner manuals in the "track" areas. Note that both the PP2 and the GT350 mention adjusting front camber for track use and then changing back to normal settings for the street. I am very curious regarding how this adjustment is to be made. Since both the PP2 and the GT 350 have MagneRide it MIGHT be built into all MagneRide specific parts or only into PP2 and GT 350 parts. Time will tell . . . maybe:D

EDIT to add: I haven't found similar wording in earlier GT 350 owner manuals.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Thanks, Dick. Konis are on their way but will hold off the work until FSM lands. Appreciate the help!

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I can confirm the '17 and earlier GT350s don't have any easy way to adjust camber. Gotta do the slotting and all of that nonsense... I'm at around -1.8 to -1.9 degrees now, I think. Not sure it's 100% even from side to side but adjusting the subframe side to side is effectively not an option so it is what it is.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Not yet. Helminc shows the FSM CD available 12/30/2017. Keep checking since they said 12/30/2014 for the 2015's and it showed up on the website a week or two earlier.

Of course you could gamble the cost of a 72 hour online subscription to see if it is available that way.
Dick, the language in the 2018 FSM is pretty much identical. 1mm, use smaller-diameter "service bolt" but no specific PN for that. Holler if you need something/ anything else -- the Motorcraft subscription goes for another 48 hours ...

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dick, the language in the 2018 FSM is pretty much identical. 1mm, use smaller-diameter "service bolt" but no specific PN for that. Holler if you need something/ anything else -- the Motorcraft subscription goes for another 48 hours ...
Thanks!

How about the alignment specs for the GT PP cars and whether the MagneRide version has different specs? Anything else I can think of is "trivia" and will wait until I get my CD . . . if they ever release it. ;)

My car shipped 12/29 and is currently freezing its summer tires somewhere between Flat Rock and North Carolina. Basically the same as my 2015 did.

Thanks again!

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Thanks!

How about the alignment specs for the GT PP cars and whether the MagneRide version has different specs? Anything else I can think of is "trivia" and will wait until I get my CD . . . if they ever release it. ;)

My car shipped 12/29 and is currently freezing its summer tires somewhere between Flat Rock and North Carolina. Basically the same as my 2015 did.

Thanks again!
Of course! I don't see anything specific to Magneride re alignment, or anything except diagnostic procedures for the electronics. But here's alignment specs:

Item LH RH Total/Split

Front Camber — (Performance Package Coupe, Track Package Coupe) -1.03° ± 0.75° -1.03° ± 0.75° 0.0° ± 0.75°

Front Caster — (Performance Package Coupe, Track Package Coupe) 6.91° ± 0.75° 6.91° ± 0.75° 0.0° ± 0.75°

Front Toe — (All Models Except, GT350, GT350R) — — 0.0° ± 0.20°

Rear Camber — (All Models Except, GT350, GT350R) -1.50° ± 0.75° -1.50° ± 0.75° —

Rear Toe — (All Models Except, GT350, GT350R) 0.12° ± 0.20° 0.12° ± 0.20° 0.23° ± 0.20°

Thrust Angle — Rear
All Models 0.0° ± 0.5°

Sponsored

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Dick (and other 10A-curious folks), I spent some time on actual dry pavement yesterday, trying to mimic some autox-specific behaviors.

The good news is that the 2-3 combo in sport/manual mode seems to do just what we want. Third, in my EB anyway, functions like the best second gear ever, flexible and strong anywhere from about 32 mph to 68. I can't see having to downshift except for pivot cones, etc.

Upshifts are lightning fast if you're floored. Part-throttle ... nope. Kinda laggy. Same thing on 3-2 downshift, laggy -- and abrupt, too.

The paddle-only controls may be an issue on dogleg starts; manual upshift with the wheel cranked is kinda tricky, and because you won't be flooring it, lag enters the picture. I see second-gear starts in my future. The car also rejects manual downshifts in an over-rev situation (good) but you can't hold the paddle down until speed drops; you have to release it and try again.

The sport auto mode is actually pretty terrific, with snappy upshifts and aggressive downshifts as you enter corners. It does seem to hold onto lower gears if you're driving aggressively but it won't push against the rev limiter at all.

None of this is probably a surprise (and could be wrong!), except I'm more likely to give sport auto mode a try.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Des - Thanks for the detailed update! Sounds encouraging once we learn how to deal with a couple of issues. Sounds like the biggest issue is dog leg starts where short shifting a manual might be used. Of course with the relatively short second gear your idea of a second gear start might be the best approach.

Were you able to separate "shifting lag" from "boost lag" in some of the situations you described? I have no experience with EB's but you certainly do with manual EB's and 2.0L Turbo Camaros.

FYI the last phrase of
In sport (S) mode SelectShift does not automatically upshift, even if the engine is approaching the RPM limit, unless the accelerator pedal is at full travel.
has been removed from the current (1/7/2018) html version of the owner manual. Did you happen to try it?

Also did you happen to see how slow you had to be in 3rd gear for this "feature" to work?
SelectShift automatically downshifts at low engine speeds in order to prevent engine stalls.
I'm hoping my car shows up early this week after being in "frozen transit" since Christmas.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Were you able to separate "shifting lag" from "boost lag" in some of the situations you described? I have no experience with EB's but you certainly do with manual EB's and 2.0L Turbo Camaros.
Definitely the transmission, not the turbo.

FYI the last phrase of -- In sport (S) mode SelectShift does not automatically upshift, even if the engine is approaching the RPM limit, unless the accelerator pedal is at full travel -- has been removed from the current (1/7/2018) html version of the owner manual. Did you happen to try it?
I have not encountered any situation where sport-auto mode does NOT eventually upshift. I fear I am misreading this, but I've beaten on it in the ways I intend to beat on it and not seen this behavior.

Also did you happen to see how slow you had to be in 3rd gear for this "feature" to work?
In mine it did it about 15 mph. (Edit to correct, cuz I checked -- it's about 7 mph!)

I'm hoping my car shows up early this week after being in "frozen transit" since Christmas.
It would probably be worse to already have it in the driveway and be snowbound! Eager to hear your impressions.

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Des - What I meant on the upshift in sport - auto after using a paddle it will be in "select shift" and normally will hold the gear it is in unless you slow enough to force a downshift.

However, in addition, the manual used to say that even in sport - auto manual it would upshift at redline IF at full throttle.

Would have been neat if real.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
What I encounter, after using the paddle in sport-auto, is that after a few seconds of holding that gear, it shifts up or down as normal. (The shift light goes on if you use the paddle but then goes out in sync with the shift as well)
Sponsored