Sponsored

Focal Flax Cone Component Speakers?

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Anyone here running these Focal Flax Cone 3-Way Component speakers in their S550?

I'm contemplating upgrading my factory Shaker 9 speaker system with these Focals for a bit more clarity and fidelity.

Rear stage will be upgraded with the PC165F 2-way coaxials pictured below. All up, a ~$1k set of speakers.

Just trying to decide on the amp and maybe a JLA Stealthbox too :confused:
5734.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have never heard the Focals, but I personally find metal dome tweeters too harsh for my tastes... YMMV.

Many folks on this forum have had good luck with just replacing the speakers with raw drivers running off the factory amp. If you are more hardcore, you can obviously use a aftermarket amp as well... it all depends on how serious you want to get.

There are tons of cheap raw drivers that really improve over the factory speakers available from Parts Express. Brands like Dayton, Peerless, FaitalPRO, etc...

If I were to recommend something that I have heard, it would be the Audiofrog GS series. They would come in less than $1k, are super smooth and rich sounding and would leave you room in your budget for the amp.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I went the JL Amp, sub, housing and Focal Flax in front and Focal 3 ways in rear, with sound deadening. Night and day difference.

OP
OP
Type550

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, I went the JL Amp, sub, housing and Focal Flax in front and Focal 3 ways in rear, with sound deadening. Night and day difference.
Awesome! Were the fronts a drop in replacement or were custom mounts required?

I didn't realise Focal had a 3-way 6.5" for the rear! What's the model#? I'll need to Google that! :thumbsup:

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford had bass speakers in the back, we ripped them out and wired up 3 ways, which combined with the sub does enough! Hope that helps.

Sponsored

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if the fronts needed special mounts, I think they did. I didn't do the install.

OP
OP
Type550

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Ford had bass speakers in the back, we ripped them out and wired up 3 ways, which combined with the sub does enough! Hope that helps.
Ah OK, so you put in 3-way components in the rear too? Not 3-way coaxials?

Sounds like an awesome setup. How's it sound? Night and day I bet?! :thumbsup:

The OEM 9 speaker Shaker system is OK, but definitely lots of room for improvement with the Focals and JLA Stealthbox + Amp ;)

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the rears are co ax, the improvment all round is remarkable. Clarity all the way with volume.

Motopopo80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Izzak Hoch
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Anyone here running these Focal Flax Cone 3-Way Component speakers in their S550?

I'm contemplating upgrading my factory Shaker 9 speaker system with these Focals for a bit more clarity and fidelity.

Rear stage will be upgraded with the PC165F 2-way coaxials pictured below. All up, a ~$1k set of speakers.

Just trying to decide on the amp and maybe a JLA Stealthbox too :confused:
5734.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Did you ever install the 3 way component in the front? If so, how does it sound?

OP
OP
Type550

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever install the 3 way component in the front? If so, how does it sound?
Sorry for the late reply! No I haven't upgraded the speaker system as yet. Other priorities took over, so I've put it on hold for now.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You need fabricated mounting rings as the readily available mounting rings from Metra et. al. are too thick for the Mustang. The midbass will hit the door panel if you use them.

Just watch the entire series from 5StarCarStereo on youtube on the S550 Mustang. They install the Focal Flax 3-way set in there.

OP
OP
Type550

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need fabricated mounting rings as the readily available mounting rings from Metra et. al. are too thick for the Mustang. The midbass will hit the door panel if you use them.

Just watch the entire series from 5StarCarStereo on youtube on the S550 Mustang. They install the Focal Flax 3-way set in there.
Cool! Thanks for the info!

I've been looking at the Hertz Mille Pro 3-way components too, and they look like an awesome speaker. I'm told the Focals would be brighter, but the Mille Pro's would give better bass.
Sponsored