Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Nong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual Fastback Lightning Blue
In fact after reading the statements by Ford Australia again it's all just corporate gobildy goop. They just go around in circles and of course don't mention what happens outside warranty with a known defect from manufacture. Really pathetic behaviour.
Sponsored

STG302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe A6
Yes I did I had Xforce headers CAI tune and no worries on my part.
New engine and removed the stupid oil cooler first chance I got.
When you say you removed it the first chance you got do you mean you fitted the streetfighter fix?

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A good overview here: https://www.accc.gov.au/business/treating-customers-fairly/consumers-rights-obligations

The spirit of the legislation is to provide broad consumer protections, and the period of reasonable warranty varies with the value and intended purpose of the good or service. A 50 dollar coffee machine would not attract much of a warranty period in the eyes of the ACL, whereas buying a fridge, an airconditioner, a car would progressively increase the expected lifespan and thus warranty coverage of said item, regardless of the warranty offered by the retailer.

Certain parts of a car would be considered needing to be working beyond three year warranty period, specifically things critical to the operation of the vehicle eg oil coolers in this discussion. Worn trim, a broken taillight etc would be less likely to be covered under the ACL outside a warranty period, but I would suggest shocks and steering components that outright fail would be covered - perhaps not items that are simply worn out.

Even if a retailer wanted to argue the point, most large companies these days are averse to potential bad press/loss of business on not covering items just outside warranty and will often just replace the faulty part or fix the issue if it is a sudden /unexplained failure rather than worn out. This is generally found at the corporate level if not with each outlet.

The ACL is a fantastic piece of legislation that provides genuine recourse for consumers not seen in a lot of other countries.
The left hand rear shock failed on our Subaru xv about 2 months out of warranty and Subaru Australia told me “too bad that’s what we would expect” and they would not cover it .. so I had to pay to replace them and the car only had 30,000k on it

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Hmm, interesting. I think it would be hard once multiple years have passed since your warranty expires, but good luck to you.

Fair enough when its an Oil Cooler, A/C Evaporator or something that Ford themselves have documented and are known to fail but you can hardly expect them to cover the cost of a Shock absorber or a steering component as an example, when its impossible to track the road conditions you have driven on for the life span of your Car.

Its a machine made of perishable items...... even when sitting in a Garage, seals can go dry, rubber can oxidise and go brittle, tons of things to factor in.

How long would you expect to be able to claim warranty on a vehicle? Ive never seen or heard of an original 65 Mustang pulling in to a dealership today saying replace my muffler, it has a hole in it, simply because he/she has all documentation
Everyone knows there are perishables on a car that wear out, irrespective of use. Disc pads, tyres degrade over time even if a car is parked. Ideally cars need to be driven.

I am talking about failure of structural parts, especially when there are known faults. Ford's obligations will extend beyond expiration of the warranty period as the other poster has eloquently summarised.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
As expected, no contact from Ford. I will ring them on Monday. I'll probably get someone who is trained in avoiding the real issue. If my prediction is right then the next step is approaching the ACCC.
Thanks Peter. Good to see you're anticipating avoidance, the extent of which can be confronting. :headbonk:

I wonder what they'd say if you asked them how many failures have been reported, other than they don't know or won't say. If it's as rare as Ford suggests, you'd think they would be open with the numbers.

I wonder if they'll tell you whether the issue has been fixed on the MY18? I'm not really wondering ;)

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
oil cooler being replaced tomorrow on my MY17GT. Will report back how it all goes
so just to clarify:
the oil cooler is being replaced just on your request/inquiry, it hasn't shown any symptoms of any problem?
Thks

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
so just to clarify:
the oil cooler is being replaced just on your request/inquiry, it hasn't shown any symptoms of any problem?
Thks
Correct.

When I had my three month inspection I asked them to check the oil cooler. They said that upon checking they elected to replace in accordance with the service bulletin.

There have been no indications of failure. My car is a MY17 built in May 17

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Bloody amazing!
I think you are making history here and certainly creating a legal precedent for Ford Aus and its warranty programs
Let us all know when its completed
many thks

Sponsored

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Bloody amazing!
I think you are making history here and certainly creating a legal precedent for Ford Aus and its warranty programs
Let us all know when its completed
many thks
Will do. All being well I will have it back this afternoon. Also getting the common issue of glove box realignment done.

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
My oil cooler was replaced by my Dealer yesterday

Supplied and fitted new engine oil cooler assembly as per TSB 16-2092
Road tested. All ok.
FOGR3Z6A642D - Cool Asy Oil

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454
My oil cooler was replaced by my Dealer yesterday

Supplied and fitted new engine oil cooler assembly as per TSB 16-2092
Road tested. All ok.
FOGR3Z6A642D - Cool Asy Oil
Does the oil cooler look any different to the old one?
Have they put in a different position?
Thanks

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Does the oil cooler look any different to the old one?
Have they put in a different position?
Thanks
I'll take a stab and say:

1. No
2. No because there's no where else to put it without re-engineering the set up.
Sponsored