Tob/ Pilot bearing being replaced MT82

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ok got the car back. First thing I noticed is some clutch shudder taking off in first. Not too bad but reverse.... reverse is really noticeable. Maybe i just need to give it more rpm. Just don't want to ride it too much with the clutch being new. They did have 3 test drives on the car with 20 miles put on. Hoping they didn't do any damage. I will call tomorrow just to get it noted.

On to the new tranny. It is in fact bran new, and it shifts so damn smooth. Once I am out of first and rowing gears the engagement is butter. No more vibrations, high pitch whine. Another thing that is gone is the thud noise most of us have when shifting. The shifter itself has alot less play in the gates as well. I also noticed my axle back exhaust seems quieter for some reason. I have to baby it for 500 miles but after that I'll see what it can do.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like rolling the dice went well with the transmission.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
At this moment I am pleased with the new tranny. Hoping after the clutch break in the shudder goes away. They did a lot of work in those six business days. Impressed.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I wonder if they replaced it with the newly updated MT-82 D4 transmissions which the 2018s are using.

I believe it is a direct replacement and has improved internals as well as slightly different ratios.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the same thing.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously doubt that. In speaking with friends in Dearborn, it's not a 100% plug and play.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I seriously doubt that. In speaking with friends in Dearborn, it's not a 100% plug and play.
I've been having ongoing issues with my MT-82 since day 1, which have been exaggerated even more since my Exedy Mach 600 clutch install. Poor cold weather performance (lock out of first and reverse), car drifts forward in first when clutch is pressed to the floor, amongst others.....after countless troubleshooting with the dealer they are about to replace my transmission.

We've reached out to Exedy, MGW, and DSS and they all confirmed the clutch, driveshaft, and shifter will all fit the MT-82 D4s found in the 2018s.

Would you be able to provide some details on what your friends from Dearborn had to say about it not being 100% plug and play. It would be extremely helpful to me as I need to know what else needs to be done to make a 2018 trans fit prior to the dealer ordering it.

Last thing I want to go through is another debacle where a part is ordered and the dealer can't get it to work. ( Car was originally ordered through the dealership and financed with a Ford Performance/ Roush stage 1 kit back in April 2016. Car arrived June 2016 and when they went to flash the PCM for the supercharger- Roush/ FP advised the EPA cert wasn't ready for 2017 model year and I would need to wait 5-6 months until EPA/CARB was approved, essentially making my car a paperweight. I reached out on the forums and Dustin Whipple ended up working out a deal with my dealership and they swapped out the Roush for the Whipple- thus how I came to get my Whipple)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've been having ongoing issues with my MT-82 since day 1, which have been exaggerated even more since my Exedy Mach 600 clutch install. Poor cold weather performance (lock out of first and reverse), car drifts forward in first when clutch is pressed to the floor, amongst others.....after countless troubleshooting with the dealer they are about to replace my transmission.

We've reached out to Exedy, MGW, and DSS and they all confirmed the clutch, driveshaft, and shifter will all fit the MT-82 D4s found in the 2018s.

Would you be able to provide some details on what your friends from Dearborn had to say about it not being 100% plug and play. It would be extremely helpful to me as I need to know what else needs to be done to make a 2018 trans fit prior to the dealer ordering it.

Last thing I want to go through is another debacle where a part is ordered and the dealer can't get it to work. ( Car was originally ordered through the dealership and financed with a Ford Performance/ Roush stage 1 kit back in April 2016. Car arrived June 2016 and when they went to flash the PCM for the supercharger- Roush/ FP advised the EPA cert wasn't ready for 2017 model year and I would need to wait 5-6 months until EPA/CARB was approved, essentially making my car a paperweight. I reached out on the forums and Dustin Whipple ended up working out a deal with my dealership and they swapped out the Roush for the Whipple- thus how I came to get my Whipple)
Trying to get more info, but at a minimum you need a MY18 rear seal retainer and crank sensor to get the '18 MT82 to fit properly. Those are some of the changes on the '18 engine specifically for the revised transmission. I don't believe you have to do anything permanent to make it fit, but just know that it may not be a direct swap with no other hardware changes.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
My paperwork says Transmission A, part # FR3Z 7003 F. The clutch was replaced with part # FR3Z 7B546 F. The service manager didn't mention anything about this being an upgrade. Heck when I mentioned installing the new twin disc and dual mass fly he shot it down.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had my '15 almost 3 years now and it's always shifted smooth and precise. Super quiet, no complaints. I haven't even changed the oil in it yet. You either have a good one or you don't.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My paperwork says Transmission A, part # FR3Z 7003 F. The clutch was replaced with part # FR3Z 7B546 F. The service manager didn't mention anything about this being an upgrade. Heck when I mentioned installing the new twin disc and dual mass fly he shot it down.
They're FR3Z parts. Which means 2015 spec. JR3Z for new for 2018MY stuff.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
the part number above does not appear to be a twin disc clutch.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
that sounds like clutch drag. Have you called the shop that installed the Exedy ?

lock out of first and reverse does not sound like synchros. I think there is post in GT350 section with something similar and they had aftermarket shifter.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
that sounds like clutch drag. Have you called the shop that installed the Exedy ?

lock out of first and reverse does not sound like synchros. I think there is post in GT350 section with something similar and they had aftermarket shifter.
The car had a bit of vibration in the drivetrain from the get go, transmission would thud with gear changes at low speed, shifter was very notchy.....1st fix was adding the CF DS, which helped considerably with the vibration and thud , didn't eliminate it completely. Car also had driver rear wheel bearing replaced.

Had the car on the dyno for the 2nd time to see how the driveshaft might have effected power and clutch started to slip in the upper RPM s (pressure plate wasnt holding). Went ahead and ordered the clutch kit which included flywheel and new slave cylinder, as well a stainless clutch line and the steeda clutch assist spring. I went ahead and had them install the MGW since the transmission was out.

Shifting was way better with the MGW, but then I started to notice that for the first few miles of driving the car after startup, it was extremely difficult to get the car into first or reverse. After a few mintues of driving the problem would go away.

The dealer than attempted to vacuum bleed the clutch on 3 occasions, still the same problem and we confirmed with MGW that the 1-2 shift was properly adjusted.

We went ahead and swapped the trans and diff fluid out with BG synchro and that quieted the drivetrain down some more and made shifts while car was warm like butter. However, the problem with the 1st reverse lockout when cold still remained.

After speaking,with several techs at Exedy, they believe that if it is not a transmission issue, that there is either still air in the system or the retractor clips on the pressure plate were damaged in transit or durring install.

Next step is to have dealer drop transmission and inspect the internals ....while trans is out, they are going to bench bleed the slave, inspect the tob /pb ( they never installed the new one that came with the clutch kit as my car only had a little over 6,000 miles on it), an use a feeler guage to check the retractor clips on the pressure plate.

I'll keep you guys posted on how I make out.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
My new tranny gives me problems getting into first and reverse in the mornings. Like you after a bit of a drive its normal. I'm not going to think anything until after 500 or so miles. Im at 76 miles on new tranny, clutch and bearings.

I had a lot of your symptoms though on the old tranny,clutch.
Sponsored