Sponsored

Broken Valve/ Motor Blown

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
On Saturday, March 3rd I was driving on an hour long road trip with my wife to visit her sister and new baby. About 30 minutes into the drive, going about 50-60mph, 6th gear, it suddenly started vibrating from the engine something fierce. I clutched in, put it in neutral, and while still going about 50mph, the car shut off.

I was able to get it to the shoulder(this is a two lane rd) and tried to re-start it. It fired, but clattered terribly and shut itself off again. My wife is 4 months pregnant, so the side of the road with 50-60pmh traffic wasnt ideal, and there was an empty parking lot 15 feet away, so I restarted it, gave it gas to keep it running, and as soon as I got into the lot, shut it off and let it coast as far as i could.

[/url]29340037_10211403129570668_7923583794848727040_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

I called ford roadside assistance, which sent a tow truck out to tow it to the dealer.

[/url]29314105_10211403129770673_1988049823407800320_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29249355_10211403129370663_488028470895443968_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got it towed in, and my poor (never seen rain, snow, salt, etc) car got to sit outside for a few days. I called the dealer on monday to make them aware of the car and the situation, and was told that they would do what they could to get it in and let me know what is going on. Also to note, this is the dealer the car was bought from, as well as my wifes 16 escape titanium as well. We have a VERY good relationship with our salesperson. I had texted him on saturday as well, just to let him know what was going on, and i figured if i could let someone know it would help out.

On tuesday, my sales guy texted me a picture of the car, and let me know they have their best tech working on it.

[/url]29314503_10211403130050680_1698006228027834368_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

So the week goes by, and I havent heard anything. Im trying my hardest to let the guys do their thing, but the anticipation was killing me at that point, so I called the dealer on friday in search of an update. I talked to the advisor handling my car, and he said that they found a valve broken and inside cylinder number 1. There are multiple holes in the piston, and they have had to communicate back and forth with ford in regards on what actions to take. He said they had to prove to ford that there was no aftermarket software on the car that could have cause the failure(the car was NOT tuned) and that any modifications to the car (res. delete, axle back, jlt oil catch can, and k+n filter) did not cause it either. He told me that now that ford has authorized repair, they have to finish tearing the motor down and see if the block was damaged, and what other damage has occurred.

So, I at least had an update on my car. The following week(this week) i had not heard anything back, so I called again on wednesday. The advisor thats working with me was in a meeting, but i was assured he would be calling me back momentarily. Three hours go by, and no word from them. I was out of work at that point, and the dealer is about a 30 minute drive from my work, so i figured i would just pop in there and talk to him face to face(dealership is an hour away from my home.)

Stop in there, and the advisor doesn't recognize me(both cars go to that dealer regularly) so i let him know who I am and which car is mine, etc etc. He runs to the back and brings me out some pieces of my motor. He told me that they still have to remove the other side cylinder head and inspect for damage still. At this point, he thinks they are going to replace one cylinder head and the short block, because they found the piston wall has scoring that is non-repairable.

Here is the carnage:

[/url]29244428_10211403130290686_5897889420610109440_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29261011_10211403130490691_3890391727587983360_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29243798_10211403130930702_5559507020580651008_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

While I was there I did stress my concern as far as the condition of the vehicle in the way of getting scratched, damaged, etc etc because i have been a service advisor at a dealer previously, and I know what can happen, even with a tech is as careful as can be. He reassured me that the whole front of the vehicle is covered(which im sure will cause swirling and scratches in the paint)

He told me that at this point, he is hoping to have an answer back at the end of the week as far as what route they are going to take(short block and one cylinder head, or a complete long block) but I still have not heard anything.

I will say that the little interaction with the dealer that I have had has been positive, however, I kind of expected more communication, especially with something as severe as what happened. My patience is running thin though, and i don't think it should be taking THIS long to get to the bottom of it. I would have thought in week 1 of it being there, at max the beginning of the second week, it would have been torn down, and parts ordered.

Oh, and the car is a 2017, base model, 49XX miles on it. Was a birthday present from my wife for my 30th birthday, so I definitely have some sentimental attachment to this car, and just keep praying that it wont get irreversible damage from sitting there for so long..

Any DECENT advice? I have never been in the situation before where i have a massive engine failure on a brand new car before..
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I hate to see that.

Only advice I would have is about squeaky wheels. I doubt anyone involved was resting but if there is more work than hours (common for the best techs), the owners calling every day or the quicky jobs are going to get more than their share of the time.

That and if close to a coin toss, push for a long block. Statistically, the odds of future problems will be lower. The dealer techs don't build this model engine day in and day out so more likely to make a mistake.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you called the Ford 800 # to get a Ford Regional CSR involved and to get a Case # so that everything is being documented?

That’s my first and foremost recommendation - EVEN IF you have an excellent rapport with the Dealership and/or Service Dept. By talking with the Reg CSR, you can not only voice your displeasure with the product - being that you’re paying on a brand new vehicle which is now inoperable due to what appears to be a manufacturing issue BUT you are getting the Case #, that moves your car to the top as a Priority at the Dealership. They will have to talk to the Reg CSR and report their progress with getting the car repaired.

If you make it a point to your displeasure - as a courtesy your CSR may offer 1 of the following (and you can only pick 1):
1) 1 month car payment refund (only IF the vehicle has been at the shop for 3+ weeks or more).

2) 45k Maintenance plan (free oil changes, etc)

3) 75k Extended bumper/bumper warranty plan

IF the CSR does not offer anything to you, make it a point as to how upset you are about the situation.

—
Another thing to consider, depending on State laws, if the car is inop and at the shop for 30 consecutive days, you do have Lemon Law/Buy Back rights. Review your State’s Auto laws for additional info.

It’s one thing to be emotionally attached, it’s another to be made whole again and to have your vehicle back in your possession to enjoy. You’re not paying to drive a (hypothetical Ford Fiesta) loaner, you paid for a Mustang.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I hate to see that.

Only advice I would have is about squeaky wheels. I doubt anyone involved was resting but if there is more work than hours (common for the best techs), the owners calling every day or the quicky jobs are going to get more than their share of the time.

That and if close to a coin toss, push for a long block. Statistically, the odds of future problems will be lower. The dealer techs don't build this model engine day in and day out so more likely to make a mistake.

Yea, I just hate to have a rush job done, and things damaged, job not done correctly, etc etc. I definitely get your point, but, being on the receiving end of phone calls for customers as an advisor, most advisors start to not want to help you out if you're calling every day, twice a day, etc etc. I figured I would at least start out slow, and then start pushing for more updates more often.

Have you called the Ford 800 # to get a Ford Regional CSR involved and to get a Case # so that everything is being documented?

That’s my first and foremost recommendation - EVEN IF you have an excellent rapport with the Dealership and/or Service Dept. By talking with the Reg CSR, you can not only voice your displeasure with the product - being that you’re paying on a brand new vehicle which is now inoperable due to what appears to be a manufacturing issue AND by gettkngbthebCase #, that moves your car to the top as a Priority at the Dealership. They will have to talk to the Reg CSR and report their progress with getting the car repaired.

If you make it a point to your displeasure - as a courtesy your CSR may offer 1 of the following (and you can only pick 1):
1) 1 month car payment refund (only IF the vehicle has been at the shop for 3+ weeks or more).

2) 45k Maintenance plan (free oil changes, etc)

3) 75k Extended bumper/bumper warranty plan

IF the CSR does not offer anything to you, make it a point as to how upset you are about the situation.

—
Another thing to consider, depending on State laws, if the car is inop and at the shop for 30 consecutive days, you do have Lemon Law/Buy Back rights. Review your State’s Auto laws for additional info.

It’s one thing to be emotionally attached, it’s another to be made whole again and to have your vehicle back in your possession to enjoy. You’re not paying to drive a (hypothetical Ford Fiesta) loaner, you paid for a Mustang.

LOL. I didn't even take a loaner vehicle. The mustang is simply a fun weekend/nice day car for me. I never drive it to work(it would get destroyed) and its only driven on nice days, so I have a daily driver for those duties.

I have looked at lemon laws in Indiana, and they pretty much make it easy as cake, however, at this point in the game with it being an 8 month old car, the amount I owe vs what its worth(or even its msrp) would mean I would have to pay thousands out of pocket if it did even qualify for lemon law.

I haven't called the 800# for a local rep yet. I guess i'm just in denial that it would have to go to that point.. I can definitely call them and get that ball rolling, but my fear is that if they start getting involved, rush work could ensue and potentially be in a worse off situation with a fixed but damaged car.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Also, I cant imagine that Ford is going to actually go through with replacing a short block and just one cylinder head. The potential for metal shavings to get into the other side is pretty high, and the amount of work to R+R a short vs long block would probably be cheaper labor wise to do a long block and call it a day. So many more parts to transfer from one block to the other, plus all the time in gasketing, etc etc. I just cant imagine that a short block in this case would be a viable option.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have nothing to add, but just looking at that damage makes me sick. Man, I'm feelin' for ya. No sh*t.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
17LightningGT you are being a prince about this. I ordered a new 1982 Mustang GT and after it came in I had tons of stuff wrong. The dealer could not find an intermittent problem after taking it there many times. Finally I got my VOM out and after a couple of hours found that the power wire into the back of the fuse box had not been snapped in properly at the factory. Quick fix.
Then about a month after I owned this silver GT I was sitting on my front porch looking at the car and could see the red primer showing through the silver paint. Apparently they never put enough coats on to properly cover the primer.
Mind you I ordered this car new. I finally got ticked off enough to contact Ford and make a BIG deal out of it.
Finally the Ford rep said "good grief, what will make you happy?" I said " a new car". He said that wasn't going to happen (today I'm not so sure about that). So they re-painted the lower 1/2 of the car. It looked just fine, but no excuse for the re-paint.
Moral of the story: as previously stated, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you think you are being too aggressive, you aren't. Just don't be disrespectful in your words, but be firm. I would make sure they put a new long block in. No reason not to. That crap flies around in the crankcase and can damage other parts. Remember the area we are referring to includes oil galleys. Nope. Tell them you want, you demand, a new long block. Just my opinion.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
DEMAND A LOANER CAR. ANOTHER MUSTANG GT WITH A MINIMUM OF THE SAME OPTIONS. The more pain FOMOCO feels, the more likely they will get it done soon.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I have nothing to add, but just looking at that damage makes me sick. Man, I'm feelin' for ya. No sh*t.

Yea its not ideal in any way shape or form. I just want my car back, in one piece. The weather has been shit since then, but I still like to open the garage door and see my car there. Its spot in the garage is bare, and it depresses me on a daily basis lol

17LightningGT you are being a prince about this. I ordered a new 1982 Mustang GT and after it came in I had tons of stuff wrong. The dealer could not find an intermittent problem after taking it there many times. Finally I got my VOM out and after a couple of hours found that the power wire into the back of the fuse box had not been snapped in properly at the factory. Quick fix.
Then about a month after I owned this silver GT I was sitting on my front porch looking at the car and could see the red primer showing through the silver paint. Apparently they never put enough coats on to properly cover the primer.
Mind you I ordered this car new. I finally got ticked off enough to contact Ford and make a BIG deal out of it.
Finally the Ford rep said "good grief, what will make you happy?" I said " a new car". He said that wasn't going to happen (today I'm not so sure about that). So they re-painted the lower 1/2 of the car. It looked just fine, but no excuse for the re-paint.
Moral of the story: as previously stated, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you think you are being too aggressive, you aren't. Just don't be disrespectful in your words, but be firm. I would make sure they put a new long block in. No reason not to. That crap flies around in the crankcase and can damage other parts. Remember the area we are referring to includes oil galleys. Nope. Tell them you want, you demand, a new long block. Just my opinion.
Definitely can relate to ya there. Maybe its time for me to start hounding them and see if I can get some results. At the same point, if it gets to be past 30 days, I can look into my buyback options and if ive been nice through the process, it could help me later down the road to get what i want/deserve too.

DEMAND A LOANER CAR. ANOTHER MUSTANG GT WITH A MINIMUM OF THE SAME OPTIONS. The more pain FOMOCO feels, the more likely they will get it done soon.
I can only wish lol.

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I agree I would say you want a long block.. End of story, not worth the risk

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
So, if you go 30 days without the car, they have to buy it back? That sounds really good. To be honest, this is a good example of why I like buying used cars with some miles that haven't had issues. I figure if the car goes 15-20K miles stuff like this has already happened...

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I agree I would say you want a long block.. End of story, not worth the risk
Totally agree. I would think Ford would look at it from the same standpoint. If they just do a short block and call it good, they still have to warranty that engine for another what, 4 years and 45k miles? Either way I would be covered, but id rather have the peace of mind in having a factory sealed motor back into the car.

So, if you go 30 days without the car, they have to buy it back? That sounds really good. To be honest, this is a good example of why I like buying used cars with some miles that haven't had issues. I figure if the car goes 15-20K miles stuff like this has already happened...

I wish it was that easy. If it is out of service for more than 30 business days, then i can either pursue lemon law through the state/bbb, or, try to get ford to purchase the car back. Either way would take months, and cost me a decent amount of money.