Sponsored

4th gear, going 80, check engine light flashing

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hey Guys,

As stated in the title, I was going around 80 in 4th gear, waiting to pass someone and all of a sudden my check engine light started flashing at me.

I put the car in 5th and just cruised till it went away (within 30 seconds). I did not notice any performance issues besides my AC going from cold air to just basically a fan.

I do not have a tune, just an X-pipe, catback and intake.

Hoping this was 1 time thing and nothing is effected? Maybe someone had a similar experience?

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If the CEL was flashing then it picked up a misfire. How many miles? Curious if the spark plugs are due for replacement.

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would start with pulling the plugs. Check the gap and condition of each to verify they are okay. You could also run a scan on the OBD to see if it set a historical CEL. The code may tell you which cylinder it detected the misfire. At least then you could see if you have a defective coil that might be working intermittently.

The reason I mention doing the work yourself is that the dealer is unlikely to diagnose without an active CEL.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Hey Guys,

As stated in the title, I was going around 80 in 4th gear, waiting to pass someone and all of a sudden my check engine light started flashing at me.

I put the car in 5th and just cruised till it went away (within 30 seconds). I did not notice any performance issues besides my AC going from cold air to just basically a fan.

I do not have a tune, just an X-pipe, catback and intake.

Hoping this was 1 time thing and nothing is effected? Maybe someone had a similar experience?

Any help is appreciated!
I thought you need a tune to not throw a CEL with breather mods, especially the intake? Does your intake not require one?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cplennon17

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I would start with pulling the plugs. Check the gap and condition of each to verify they are okay. You could also run a scan on the OBD to see if it set a historical CEL. The code may tell you which cylinder it detected the misfire. At least then you could see if you have a defective coil that might be working intermittently.

The reason I mention doing the work yourself is that the dealer is unlikely to diagnose without an active CEL.
I will play with that this weekend, thanks again!

OP
OP
Cplennon17

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I thought you need a tune to not throw a CEL with breather mods, especially the intake? Does your intake not require one?
I've had an Air Raid intake for 2 years with no tune and haven't thrown a code yet. Looking to get a lund tune soon regardless.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
Probably plugs. Same exact thing happened to me. The code was random misfire. I swapped plugs and it hasn't happened since. It happened to me at 15K miles but I'm boosted so I expected my plug life to be a little shorter. Hopefully that's all it is for you too.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Surprising on N/A and that low mileage but I would also check the plugs. Flashing CEL means misfire. Giving it alot of gas in higher gears can cause more stress/heat and may have contributed to it.
Sponsored