Identifying Borla S-type versus ATAK exhaust

OP
OP

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Look right after the cats for an X/H pipe or resonator...either it's a)stock "suit case"resonator, then it's a axleback, b)X pipe built by 2 stamped pieces, then it's a catback, c)X or H pipe built with welded pipes, then it's an "off-brand" X or H pipe.
I just went out and took a look. There is no resonator. So it's either a full Borla cat-back system or a Borla axle-back with some other mid-pipe. I am going to have to get it up on the ramps so I can get under it far enough to see if I can identify if it's an x or h pipe.

Thanks for the pointers in identifying this full system.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Borla mid pipes between the X and the mufflers will have fewer small bends, smoother. Compare to pictures of the stock catback. If you have those, you have the catback.

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Quick question, my mufflers say Borla s type however they are not the oval type they are canister type (look like the Roush cans) but when I look at the s types in all the sights (american muscle, CJ pony, LMR) they are oval. do they make different types for the S550.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Quick question, my mufflers say Borla s type however they are not the oval type they are canister type (look like the Roush cans) but when I look at the s types in all the sights (american muscle, CJ pony, LMR) they are oval. do they make different types for the S550.
Sounds like they may be modified s197 mufflers? I believe they were round like the Roush mufflers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like someone bought some universal Borlas or modified the S197 ones. Thought those were oval too though but maybe not.

Sponsored

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I HAD THESE INSTALLED BY A LOCAL SHOP HERE IN S FLORIDA, I REQUESTED THE S TYPE BORLAS, BUT THEY ARE CANISTERS NOT OVAL, ARE THESE AS GOOD AS THE S550 S TYPES?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I HAD THESE INSTALLED BY A LOCAL SHOP HERE IN S FLORIDA, I REQUESTED THE S TYPE BORLAS, BUT THEY ARE CANISTERS NOT OVAL, ARE THESE AS GOOD AS THE S550 S TYPES?
Hard to know. [MENTION=23056]david borla[/MENTION]

Lisa@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Borla Performance Industries (Oxnard, CA)
Website
www.borla.com
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
-
Hello,

We'd be happy to help you figure out what Borla exhaust you have!

Do you know if you only have Borla mufflers, or do you have a whole Borla system (axle-back or cat-back)?
(If you do not have Borla tips, then you probably have just mufflers.)

Would you be able to post a photo of what you have?

Thank you,

Lisa@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.borla.com
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
-
The Atak Mufflers say ATAK on them. The S Type just says Borla.
Mine say s type on them

Axle backs, not sure if that matters
my S -types say Brola S Type on the bottom side of the muffler.
Looks like I found my answer after wiping away a bit of road grime.

Then I tried to start it up and nothing but clicks. I checked out the battery with my tester and it was only showing 10 volts. Hopefully it's just a case of it sitting too long in the Illinois cold at the dealership before I bought it. It's on the charger now.

-Photo-
Interesting, mine just say Borla. Yours must be a newer revision.
Mine looks like the one above.. Add headers and they sound amazing.
Mine say just Borla as well. Very happy with the S-Type catback.
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that we didn't start embossing our S-Type mufflers with "S-Type" until sometime in 2016 so that is why some of you have the embossing and some of you don't. The systems are the same though besides that!

Thank you guys for supporting the Borla brand!

Lisa@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.borla.com
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
-
Now I need to figure out if I have the S-type cat-back version or axle-back version. I am finding the volume a bit too boisterous for my tastes (yes, I am a geezer :)) and may go back to the stock exhaust or at least a tamer substitute.

Any pointers on how I can tell how much of the exhaust is Borla versus Ford?
Hello,

Our S-Type systems for the 2015-2017 Mustang GT look like this...

Axle-Back:
https://www.borla.com/products/mustang_gt_axleback_exhaust_stype_part__11887.html
11887.jpg

Cat-Back:
https://www.borla.com/products/mustang_gt_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140590.html
140590.jpg

Hope that helps you! If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thank you,

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
If you find the s-type catback too loud which is 100% what you have they sell a resonator for pretty decent price that replaces the x-pipe. It basically converts the s-type into a touring catback.
Sponsored