Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
As a short term "we can do that too" car, a Roush supercharged 5.2 would be awesome. That could make near 800hp, just offer the car stripped with some sticky tires and the 10 speed auto and it would run circles around a Demon
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
As a short term "we can do that too" car, a Roush supercharged 5.2 would be awesome. That could make near 800hp, just offer the car stripped with some sticky tires and the 10 speed auto and it would run circles around a Demon
That's basically what the GT500 already is engine wise.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
No need for a Mach 1 to be supercharged in my eyes.

For me, they could make it the PP1 plus:
5.2 CPC n/a V8 (525 hp / 450 lb/ft)
10-speed auto option
MagneRide

Specific Mach 1 wheels/grille/graphics/interior trim.

Not track screamer like the GT350, but a comfortable bruiser that can handle itself on the track, if necessary, but dominate the street.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm agreeing that all of this would be cool as an enthusiast - just saying that I don't know that Ford will be interested in building single-purpose cars, at this point. People expect them to do it all. Ford has also kinda always done it's own thing - I don't think they'd double-down by 1 - making an unbalanced car just for the sake of winning a drag or roll-race...and 2 - Narrow their marketing for a particular car down to compete with one car from one competitor.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm agreeing that all of this would be cool as an enthusiast - just saying that I don't know that Ford will be interested in building single-purpose cars, at this point. People expect them to do it all. Ford has also kinda always done it's own thing - I don't think they'd double-down by 1 - making an unbalanced car just for the sake of winning a drag or roll-race...and 2 - Narrow their marketing for a particular car down to compete with one car from one competitor.
If Ford cared about enthusiasts we would have had a new SVO trim by now with a 2.3T tweaked with things from the Focus RS.

I'd actually really like that. A 2.3T pushing 350-360hp, and the PP2 suspension kit. Maybe a couple bits borrowed from the GT350. Lighter front end would make for a very nicely balanced car.

Make it a 8K option and on a base model it would still be less than a base GT, and on a Premium just 3k more. I know a few guys that would give up the v8 if it meant a great handline ride.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know a few guys that would give up the v8 if it meant a great handline ride.
And that's exactly why they won't do it. they can't have a 4 cylinder car that would just take away sales from the GTs that they can get more money out of. Maybe if an SVO required premium package, and a base SVO came out to about the base price of a GT premium, I could see it making sense

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
And that's exactly why they won't do it. they can't have a 4 cylinder car that would just take away sales from the GTs that they can get more money out of. Maybe if an SVO required premium package, and a base SVO came out to about the base price of a GT premium, I could see it making sense
They didn't have a problem with it in the 80's. or the turbocoupes. And those were making almost the same power.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But then again, it was the mid-late 80s, same time period that they were considering replacing the mustang with a turbo-4 FWD car... the SVO was seeing if the V8 guys would go for it

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The 350 is more comparable to the BOSS cars, they were the corner carvers. The Mach1 was the light to light street brawler. Putting the 5.2 in a GT with a setup that more keeps it straight would be more Mach1 like.
Spot on.

In fact, the BOSS was meant to be called a Shelby.

But there was a dispute with good ol' Carroll and so the BOSS program began.

The BOSS was the same "type" of car.

The 350 is the same spirit as the. BOSS.

The Mach 1 was originally a different deal.

I think the 03-04 Mach was the most ambitious considering its era.

The Cobra engine (minus supercharger), better suspension, etc.

In that regard, I think the Mach was the BOSS/GT350 of its time.

So it would be great to see the Mach 1 return (as a z28 killer MUSTANG) and have a full lineup of Mustangs available.

The SUV can happen - so long as it doesn't steal the Iconic MUSTANG trim nomenclature.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

10-speed auto option
MagneRide

Not track screamer like the GT350, but a comfortable bruiser that can handle itself on the track, if necessary, but dominate the street.
100% agree.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If Ford cared about enthusiasts we would have had a new SVO trim by now with a 2.3T tweaked with things from the Focus RS.

I'd actually really like that. A 2.3T pushing 350-360hp, and the PP2 suspension kit. Maybe a couple bits borrowed from the GT350. Lighter front end would make for a very nicely balanced car.

Make it a 8K option and on a base model it would still be less than a base GT, and on a Premium just 3k more. I know a few guys that would give up the v8 if it meant a great handline ride.
Ford does care about track day crowd.
PP2 is not on Ford build site to keep it limited to enthusiasts who know like forum peeps. Expect further developments in this area.

1BlinkGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various

10-speed auto option
MagneRide

I like this!! And not a stripped car, either, fitting your criteria. I'd buy it! Methinks too many are jaded with HP numbers. With RWD the laws of diminishing returns sets-in keeping those two tires gripping beyond a certain point in HP/TQ. Not that I wouldn't want more....lolololol

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I know this is sort of an old thread, but I wasn't a member here when it was ACTIVE and I saw no need to start a new thread, so here goes....

I wouldn't be too concerned about what Ford is doing here. I expect they are hearing what the Mustang community feels about use (misuse?) of the Mach 1 name. There are a couple paths that I think are possible for where Ford is going with this.

Ford, with Hackett's push, is trying to get caught up in battery electric vehicles. They are seeing the growth in performance EVs that are coming fast. Tesla P100D is a beast, whether you're talking the sedan (Model S) or CUV (Model X). Faraday Future is coming soon with an even better performing CUV, and NIO EP9 will outpeform that. Set that aside for a minute.

VW, Mercedes, and BMW have all established stand-alone brand names for their EVs. VW is I.D., Mercedes is EQ, and BMW is i-Series. I think Ford is trying to do the same thing and was thinking about using Mach 1 as the umbrella name for electric performance vehicles, ranging from something in the Mustang sports coupe range all the way to an Explorer SUV range of vehicles. With all the hell that you guys have raised (rightfully so) I would expect that they will continue with their plan, but find another name for their electric performance vehicles.

The clues are in Raj Nair's response that it would have a different platform than Mustang, since it will be 100% electric. Only Levine said anything about a CUV, but then, he is a truck guy and would not be one to speak on the sports car side of it. I expect that ford will field a flat-floor EV platform with Lithium Ion batteries mounted in the floor. The platform will be capable of compact sport sedans, mid-sized luxury sedans, and CUVs with different top hats and battery / motors sized for whatever the application is targeted to be. They just need a name for it. Obviously, Mach 1 shouldn't be it.

On a different note, the Mustang Hybrid is definitely happening, that's a completely separate program. It will NOT have a V8, but the output of the electric motors should push whichever engine is chosen (2.3 EB or 2.9 Nano) to V8-like performance. Whether or not the V8 continues is likely tied to how long the V8 stays in F150. I think it's safe. Might be restricted to low volume specialty models, but it is likely very safe. I think Ford was thinking a Mustang lineup would range from 4-cylinder with mild hybrid (48V, small battery), include a full hybrid with V8-like output, a few specialty V8 powered cars, maybe with 48V, maybe not, and an all-electric Mach 1 on the separate EV platform, but also use the Mach 1 name on other range-topping EV configurations.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
On a different note, the Mustang Hybrid is definitely happening, that's a completely separate program. It will NOT have a V8, but the output of the electric motors should push whichever engine is chosen (2.3 EB or 2.9 Nano) to V8-like performance. Whether or not the V8 continues is likely tied to how long the V8 stays in F150. I think it's safe. Might be restricted to low volume specialty models, but it is likely very safe. I think Ford was thinking a Mustang lineup would range from 4-cylinder with mild hybrid (48V, small battery), include a full hybrid with V8-like output, a few specialty V8 powered cars, maybe with 48V, maybe not, and an all-electric Mach 1 on the separate EV platform, but also use the Mach 1 name on other range-topping EV configurations.
Oh man, trust me on this one... both F150 and Mustang Hybrid will be V8 powered. Don’t expect a hybrid L4 or V6 in a Mustang because it ain’t happening (at least not in the short term). Both “base hybrid” and the “BEAST” that once BmacIL mentioned will have a V8 on it.
Sponsored