'17 GT non-PP Brembo/PowerStop rotor swap

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Looks great, hope the rest of the install goes smoothly. The gloss black of the 50th Anniversary calipers is definitely more attractive than the satin w/red decal imo.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION]! I did quite a bit of research before assembling the calipers. Glad to hear I did it correctly. Only thing I did not do was put a little grease on the edges of the pad where it meets the caliper. Makes sense to do that, so I will. I did put a shot of grease right where each pin goes through the ears in pads and smeared it in there as best I could. I'm looking forward to getting this done. Aiming for this coming Saturday.

And I definitely agree on the 50th Anniversary calipers with the white Brembo logo looking better than the stock Brembos with red letters....especially since my car is white. It should look pretty cool. I will be painting the rear calipers black with a G2 paint kit.

ps
As i don't have the finned control arms, is there any value in converting to the PP splash shields? I did buy them, but at $8.00 for the pair it won't break my heart to not use them.

Judging from the install pictures, it looks like the installation of the pads was done perfectly. It always put a wee bit of grease - very thin - on part of the pad that gets the pins through it. I've found that keeps my track pads when they're cold from squeaking like a somabich while just driving around - or at least reduces it. I also put a little bit on the edge of each pad where it slides into the caliper. Feel like this seems to get overlooked with the Brembo brakes, and may not actually be necessary per say, but a bit of grease in these locations seems to do a body good. Well done.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hey Mike how are the new pads/rotors? Thinking about getting them and sticking with my painted base calipers to save some money.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I wouldn't know, unfortunately. All the parts are on the bench in the exact same spot they've been for weeks now. Life has a habit of happening to me. :frusty: Had some family issues lately and combined with a demanding job, a family and house to take care of, it doesn't leave any time for wrenching.

Adding to it is that my GT is my DD and b/c I must work, I am super-paranoid about rush-jobing any mod that could potentially take the car down and then I can't drive. Wrenching has to be on a Sat so that if something goes wrong, I have Sunday to fix it. Like I said, super-paranoid.

I hope to do it this coming weekend...I'm due a break, IMO. Thanks for asking though.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Adding to it is that my GT is my DD and b/c I must work, I am super-paranoid about rush-jobing any mod that could potentially take the car down and then I can't drive. Wrenching has to be on a Sat so that if something goes wrong, I have Sunday to fix it. Like I said, super-paranoid.
I'm in the same boat so I can totally relate to that.... never wrench on the car on Sunday unless I'm off on Monday.... :)

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Didn't mean to sound so dark...I mean, I'm luckier than a lot of folks I know. It's just that when it takes 2+ months to do about 6 hours of wrenching on the car...it gets depressing. You know how it is: Last weekend you had half of Saturday "to yourself" but the lawn had to be done, kid had soccer and then normal weekend errands. Instant "No wrenching this weekend."

Hopefully this weekend ye'olde pile'o'brake parts will become one with my GT. :)

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Just found this thread. Hope you made some progress. Interested in doing same upgrade.

HypeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
Could you link where you got all of those parts at that price point?

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I would think a combo of Ebay for rotors/pads and caliper/parts through Levittown or Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. Autonation has better prices when you include shipping at least to my zip.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think a combo of Ebay for rotors/pads and caliper/parts through Levittown or Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. Autonation has better prices when you include shipping at least to my zip.
Tasca looks like they have the parts needed including the calipers at $242 each. AutoAnything has the Powerstop/Z26 rotor/pad kit for $501 and has a 18% code making it $411. I'm coming up with around $1140 including the SS brake lines. Would love to hear an update from mikes2017gt

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Tasca looks like they have the parts needed including the calipers at $242 each. AutoAnything has the Powerstop/Z26 rotor/pad kit for $501 and has a 18% code making it $411. I'm coming up with around $1140 including the SS brake lines. Would love to hear an update from mikes2017gt
It's $292 ea. You're forgetting the $50 core charge. Plus the shipping through Autonation is cheaper than Tasca and that's not including the 15% off shipping since they are a forum vendor.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's $292 ea. You're forgetting the $50 core charge. Plus the shipping through Autonation is cheaper than Tasca and that's not including the 15% off shipping since they are a forum vendor.
Good to know. Thanks for the headsup
Sponsored