Sponsored

Anyone ever owned a GTI? experience?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
So title says it all. Anyone ever owned a Golf GTI? Pref a MK7?

I drove one a few times and LOVED it. Not the fastest thing, but it was just awesome. I dont fit as well in focus st, wrx etc. but the GTI really grew on me. But i heard they are crap build quality. wondering if anyone has some first hand experience with VW? The plastic engine components were another big drawback, never seen an entire timing chain cover as complete plastic.
Sponsored

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I had an r32...

4156047302_12ef22dc3e_o.jpg

4059920752_a08ec727cb_o.jpg

3887539105_c9b68d595f_o.jpg

I loved it... very solid and well made, zero issues. It was heavy and slightly underpowered, but a joy to drive.

Now I have an Alltrack...

36407957225_8e32ae48f4_k.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not a GTI, but I've got a 2011 4-Motion Tiguan in the fleet that has been an anvil for the 7+ years I've had it. Still solid and rattle free after all this time.

It was my first foreign car, and one of the best...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The VW R32 was/is one of the best sounding engines of all time.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I had an r32...

I loved it... very solid and well made, zero issues. It was heavy and slightly underpowered, but a joy to drive.

Now I have an Alltrack...
Great car! R32 In all fairness thats better then a GTI hahah I love the sound of those things.

My girl does not like the GTi, like at all. She says its a step down from my GT. But iDK why, i just loved driving it. And a Golf R is just kinda out of my price range at around 40k. I'd like to keep it under 30.

The GT gas is also kinda killing me a bit. Its fine and all but im around 400 a month just about my payment on it, so im entertaining other ideas

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I drove some of the first ones back in the 80s. They were so toss-able and fun, handled like it they were on rails. I'd love to try a modern one.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I drove some of the first ones back in the 80s. They were so toss-able and fun, handled like it they were on rails. I'd love to try a modern one.
The new ones are quite a bit underrated, even though rated around 225hp they are dynoing around 250 and 270 trq. stock. Drove a DSG and manual, and the manual was way more fun. Clutch was light enough for daily driving too, the handling on them is fantastic and they are dead silent at 80

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've got a MK7 Golf R. Absolutely love it, and I loved my MK6 GTI as well, but the Golf R is so much more fun with AWD than it is with the FWD GTI's.

GTI's of course are very practical for everyday use, they're peppy and fun, get good gas mileage, surprisingly lots of space inside with the rear seats folded down. Turbo lag is noticeable on the Golf R, but a tune fixes that up nicely.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
My Dad just traded in his 2011 GTI that he bought used with very low miles <5K back in 2012. He didn't put a ton of miles on it (about 40K).

He had the DSG and loved it. Nothing ever went wrong with it. He only traded to get into something different.

I've test driven the DSG and was impressed. I like the Focus ST better though. Feels more raw. I don't know what you mean about not fitting in the Focus though. I had an ST1 Focus (non Recaros) and can't imagine anyone not being able to fit in it.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I've got a MK7 Golf R. Absolutely love it, and I loved my MK6 GTI as well, but the Golf R is so much more fun with AWD than it is with the FWD GTI's.

GTI's of course are very practical for everyday use, they're peppy and fun, get good gas mileage, surprisingly lots of space inside with the rear seats folded down. Turbo lag is noticeable on the Golf R, but a tune fixes that up nicely.
Curious hows your gas average in it? I can fiind a low mileage Golf R for around 30, that is very tempting. I dont need AWD (dosnt snow here) but i know once i tune the GTi ill be wanting more traction. Had an 05 cobalt SS S/c stage 2 many years ago, and it was always a balance between understeer, spinning, and making a turn. Not the most finess going through a mountain lol

Sponsored
OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
My Dad just traded in his 2011 GTI that he bought used with very low miles <5K back in 2012. He didn't put a ton of miles on it (about 40K).

He had the DSG and loved it. Nothing ever went wrong with it. He only traded to get into something different.

I've test driven the DSG and was impressed. I like the Focus ST better though. Feels more raw. I don't know what you mean about not fitting in the Focus though. I had an ST1 Focus (non Recaros) and can't imagine anyone not being able to fit in it.
Yeah man cant do the ST. Clutch pedal is much to high and close to the driver, and those seats are tight. Im not over weight either. But at 6ft 4, long legs and built a bit wider then most, it felt too small to be comfortable. Trust me, I love focus ST's i would have had one already. But i just dont fit right in it. The GTI on the other hand sits lower, which made the most difference. I dont want to deal with after market seats, besides I like the idea of trying something foreign for the first time. Live dangerous lol

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Curious hows your gas average in it? I can fiind a low mileage Golf R for around 30, that is very tempting. I dont need AWD (dosnt snow here) but i know once i tune the GTi ill be wanting more traction. Had an 05 cobalt SS S/c stage 2 many years ago, and it was always a balance between understeer, spinning, and making a turn. Not the most finess going through a mountain lol
Wife drives the Golf R, I drive the X5 every day but I can tell you for sure if I drove the Golf R, it would get way worse mileage than my wife gets. On the highway though, 30MPG-33MPG is pretty average. Even with mixed driving we're seeing around 25-26MPG, but when I'm in it's probably closer to 22-24MPG since I'm a bit heavy footed.
Sponsored