Sponsored

First Oil Change?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks for that it was very interesting to see the changes :cheers: About how long does it take for the results to come in and about how much does it cost? I might have mine tested as well
About 7-10 days after the sample is received. It costs $28 for the base test, another $10 to check the state of the additives.

Following the manufacturer's recommendations for oil, filters, and change intervals seems to be fine in normal daily driving situations. The engine in my car has been solid so far, but it's relatively young.
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I did my own first oil change at 6000 miles and used motorcraft oil and filter! No need to change earlier, and i dont trust any other brand for filters except motorcraft. Never had any issues with my coyote uses no oil between changes!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I changed mine today at 1130 miles, I use a Amsoil and their filters. Even though it’s not needed, I also send off for a UOA, my next change will probably be 10k and then I’ll see from that UOA. “Foreign Material” I expect to be high since it’s the original fill, and will probably be high at 10k, but after that engine will be fully broken in and it should let me know if it has high concentration of Iron from the rattle? If not then I’m not worrying about that at all anymore

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I did my own first oil change at 6000 miles and used motorcraft oil and filter! No need to change earlier, and i dont trust any other brand for filters except motorcraft. Never had any issues with my coyote uses no oil between changes!
I changed mine at 27xx miles but if I can go back I would have waited until 5000 miles at least. The MC oil fill from the factory is good oil and doesnt need to be changed sooner unless the car is driven hard on a regular basis. The second oil change I did was at 10K miles and this time around I used Pennzoil Platinum Ultra with MC FL-500s filter. Sent it off to Blackstone labs for analysis and the oil held up fine as did the filter. Mine is a daily and I will stomp on it once or twice a week for a couple of minutes given the chance. I feel we concern ourselves too much about oil but hey, thats why we are on this forum because we just want the best for your cars :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
2 months/2700 miles is nothing. The factory fill is good to 7500 miles or 1 year (as is every change at least using the OEM filter and 5W20 Motorcraft blend). When the oil % in settings says maybe 5-10% remaining.

There is zero reason to go shorter than the people who made the car say. If Ford could sell you more oil changes/more Motorcraft oil/filters more frequently Im pretty sure they would have.

If anything happened you are within factory spec for warranty doing it when the manual says to. Sooner wont hurt anything, sure, other than your wallet with little benefit.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You will be fine. Even changing at 5000 miles for the first oil change you will be fine.
These engines are so tight there is barely any contamination.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
2 months/2700 miles is nothing. The factory fill is good to 7500 miles or 1 year (as is every change at least using the OEM filter and 5W20 Motorcraft blend). When the oil % in settings says maybe 5-10% remaining.

There is zero reason to go shorter than the people who made the car say. If Ford could sell you more oil changes/more Motorcraft oil/filters more frequently Im pretty sure they would have.

If anything happened you are within factory spec for warranty doing it when the manual says to. Sooner wont hurt anything, sure, other than your wallet with little benefit.
You will be fine. Even changing at 5000 miles for the first oil change you will be fine.
These engines are so tight there is barely any contamination.
Agreed!

Sponsored

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Link to these tests?
I love a good oil thread.
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/articles/amsoils-big-competitors/

This would explain my good luck using this oil after I stopped using Mobil 1 synthetic and Castrol. Back in the day I was a big Mobil 1 fanatic. Just like when you buy stocks, don't do it on emotion. Do it on facts. I no longer buy oil because of fancy marketing ads on TV. Now I look at ASTM testing results. Not only that, but the last 15-20 people I've told to switch to this oil are all still using it and swear by it. Even a guy who ran a lawn cutting business used it in all of his lawn equipment. And before I even started using it I asked him what the big deal was. He said he was super abusive with his lawn mower and was always having to rebuild it. After he switched to Amsoil, all of the breakdowns stopped. Air cooled engines really show you how the abuse is put on an engine.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First oil change on my 2018 was just completed at 9,100 miles.... oh the drama I can already feel coming on after some read this response and the religious OILYS “must change oil at 3k miles or else” or “turbo equipped cars must have oil changed stat or it’s gonna blow”... LMAO... oh, and to throw more kryptonite on the fire out there, the Dealership changed it too...

:inspect: It’s not my first turbo vehicle, nor is it my first Mustang... some folks are sooooooooo spooked by oil changes not happening sooner than 3k miles... it’s not the 40’s and 50’s anymore; oil, oil tech and drivetrain tech has improved lots....
:crackup::cwl:

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
First oil change on my 2018 was just completed at 9,100 miles.... oh the drama I can already feel coming on after some read this response and the religious OILYS “must change oil at 3k miles or else” or “turbo equipped cars must have oil changed stat or it’s gonna blow”... LMAO... oh, and to throw more kryptonite on the fire out there, the Dealership changed it too...
The drain interval depends on the oil. If you use conventional oil, I would change it every 3,000 to be safe. I stopped using conventional oil like 20 years ago. I used to think to myself that synthetic oil was for expensive luxury cars like Mercedes and BMW, etc. Eventually I started doing more research and found that every car should be using this. It wasn't until I had a job requiring me to commute super far that I had to look into longer drain intervals. 5,000 miles wasn't enough. That's when I looked at Amsoil and their 15,000 and 25,000 mile drains. The oil saved me a lot of money over Royal Purple, RedLine and Mobil 1 that I used before. Plus it was also nice having them just mail me what I needed instead of having to run to the auto parts store all the time. I usually keep a car for 150,000+ miles. If I change the oil every 3,000 miles, that's a whopping 50 oil changes!!! With Amsoil it's only 10 oil changes. That's way more convenient. That's 50 times me returning to the parts store with used oil, etc. One trip to go buy the oil. One trip to return the used oil. That's 100 trips to the auto parts store vs. 20 with Amsoil. No brainer.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
Just to Update I made my first oil change at 4156 miles and it wasn't dirty per say but it wasn't clean either. I also drained my UPR catch can it had about 3-4 oz of oil in it, cant imagine that being good going thru the intake... Car said oil life was at 47% remaining, reset that and will change again in another 4 to 5000 miles

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
Based on the 'Bob is the Oil Guy' forums, I'd say Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Amsoil for boutique. I'm using Purolator BOSS for the filter.
Sponsored