Sponsored

Exhaust Valve/Motor Doesn’t Align???

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK, how does the motor on the exhaust valve operate? Got my Borla muffler. Took the motor off the stock muffler to move over to the Borla muffler. With the valve completelely closed on both mufflers, the slots on top of the valve that accept the spring/coil thingie are a solid 45° off from matching. Thus, the motor and coil thing will not sit down into place on the Borla muffler. In addition, at no where in the range of motion between full open and full closed will it align with the coil on the motor.

I can get a screwdriver in there a Force the coil into the two slots, but being indexed that far away from each other, I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do. Don’t understand how the motor works; more specifically how it references open/closed as starting points.

Currently awaiting a reply from Borla but thought I’d pitch it to you guys while I’m waiting to see if you had either seen this or had some advice.
Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So if anyone cares, Borla said take a screwdriver and force the coil spring into the slots and bolt the motor the rest of the way down. Said it will learn/figure out its new open/closed positions on the next start up when the valves run through that cycle.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
So if anyone cares, Borla said take a screwdriver and force the coil spring into the slots and bolt the motor the rest of the way down. Said it will learn/figure out its new open/closed positions on the next start up when the valves run through that cycle.
Have you had any issues with one of your valves sticking? Mine will be fine for multiple driving cycles and then all of a sudden it'll stick and it won't allow me to change drive modes. Sometimes cycling the car on and off once will fix it and other times I have to cycle up to 20 times. Let me know.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Nope, no issues at all. I forced the spring into the slots on the new valves like stated, it apparently learned the new stopping points, and now cycles completely normal. Have yet to have an issue on stock exhaust or this one.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Nope, no issues at all. I forced the spring into the slots on the new valves like stated, it apparently learned the new stopping points, and now cycles completely normal. Have yet to have an issue on stock exhaust or this one.
Thanks for the reply. I posted it generally and it seems to be pointing to the electrical connection for the motors. I’ll keep digging but thanks for responding!

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Have you had any issues with one of your valves sticking? Mine will be fine for multiple driving cycles and then all of a sudden it'll stick and it won't allow me to change drive modes. Sometimes cycling the car on and off once will fix it and other times I have to cycle up to 20 times. Let me know.
I bought my used gt350 a week ago. Experienced sticking valves ( appeared to be the driver side only) twice the first two days, figured I'd take it to Ford when I could next week but the rest of this week it's been fine. I thought maybe it was that the car sat for a while and the valves we're gunked up.

That doesn't help you, but from when it's happened to me it seems to be related to the "self check" upon startup. Sometimes it catches or whatever and it denies all mode changes exhaust and driving modes.

The multiple restarts are what's getting you to recheck the valve sure and eventually it works. Not ideal of course.
Sponsored