Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
What gets me is when they say..

"The visibility is fine if you use the cameras"

..hint:

If you need an external camera to safely operate the vehicle..the visibility isn't fine.
I drive one every day. I have never said “The visibility is fine if you use the cameras”. What I have said is the visibility is not the big deal that everybody who doesn’t drive one tries to make it. I have also been known to say I have driven other vehicles with much worse visibility.

Mustang has better visibility than Camaro. Ham sandwiches taste better (to me) than bologna. Doesn’t mean bologna isn’t a good sandwich.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Again Norm, blind side red light runners...first at a light. I curse every-time a car pulls up past the stop bar, as it immediately blocks your cross traffic vision.
Understood. And it'd be only a tiny bit different if you were driving a typical intermediate-size FWD sedan instead of a Camaro, and most of that would be from the difference in eye-level height.

In this case, it's the other driver's inconsiderate driving that's at fault, not the level of outward visibility in the car you happen to be driving.

Norm

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say, being someone of odd proportions (I'm 6'2", but extremely short torso'd... a lot of my 5'10" or shorter friends will appear taller than me when we're both seated), the biggest issue for me with the Camaro is the high beltline... When I move the seat up enough to be able to see over the dash, I can't have the wheel in a position that isn't touching my knees due to my abnormally long legs. When I adjust to have the steering wheel in a comfortable position, I find trouble trying to see over the dash. So I find myself in a constant limbo of trying to find the least compromising, yet still uncomfortable, seating position possible. I don't have this issue in the mustang because it has a much lower beltline. That's just my experience, and it probably isn't shared by many others

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm sure the front end of the Camaro does a great job of cooling and directing air flow, but that lower barbecue grill just ruins it for me. Also inside, those two huge bug-eye gauges are hideous.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mustang has better visibility than Camaro. Ham sandwiches taste better (to me) than bologna. Doesn’t mean bologna isn’t a good sandwich.
Bologna is a bad sandwich. There's no question.

Sponsored

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
I had a 16 Camaro, i drove for 2 years. I personally never had a problem with visibility. I traded the car in for a 18 daytona 392 charger 5 months ago and am now moving on to a 18 mustang gt premium, it should arrive next week. I will give a honest opinion after i get the mustang. My first week with the car i am making a 1800 mile trip, so i should be able to give a pretty goood review on both cars. I was actually going to get a 19 camaro again because i loved the 16 camaro, until those photos released.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I drive one every day. I have never said “The visibility is fine if you use the cameras”. What I have said is the visibility is not the big deal that everybody who doesn’t drive one tries to make it. I have also been known to say I have driven other vehicles with much worse visibility.

I disagree. I think you have become use to the enclosed feel.

And again, most here are talking in comparison to the S550, not to how use you have gotten to it's poor visibility & ergonomics. Although, I'd like to hear your opinion on a few test drives of the S550 and the visibility difference & comfort level, etc.

Myself, I don't know how anyone can sit starring at the interior of the Camaros, the design is gimmicky.

Glad to see you interested in the Mustangs.. :ford:

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392

And again, most here are talking in comparison to the S550, not to how use you have gotten to it's poor visibility & ergonomics. Although, I'd like to hear your opinion on a few test drives of the S550 and the visibility difference & comfort level, etc.

Myself, I don't know how anyone can sit starring at the interior of the Camaros, the design is gimmicky.

Im not gonna lie, after driving a 16 camaro, then going to a daytlna 392 for 5 months, then test driving a s550 it felt really enclosed gettin into that s550, but i figure i will get use to it again real fast, thats one of the biggest things i hatrd about the charger 392, it felt like i qas in my wifes truck.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... have become use to the enclosed feel.
I'm sure that happens, and I'm equally sure that it's going to bother some people more than others. Especially initially, which would work against those new to considering a Camaro.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And again, most here are talking in comparison to the S550, not to how use you have gotten to it's poor visibility & ergonomics.
Although, I'd like to hear your opinion on a few test drives of the S550 and the visibility difference & comfort level, etc.

I have an interest in ALL cars and try to approach them as objectively and analytically as possible. That approach has fed my family and sent my kids to college :D . Mustangs and Camaros happen to be among my favorites.

I must say it is a little pretentious of you to "disagree" with what I see everyday, as if I am wrong in thinking I see what I see. Especially when you yourself have no real point of reference. And as for the "become used to the enclosed feel".... On any given day I drive any one of four vehicles in my household. Only one is a Camaro. There is ZERO adjustment that I need to make for visibility going from any one vehicle to another. Z...E...R...O

In the picture below, my front tires are on the white line. This is representative of over 90% of the intersections I travel through. So what is the visual problem again?

The visible field from the Mustang cockpit is broader and you can see more. Doesn't make the Camaro field of view subpar or dangerous. I see more than I need to see from the Camaro. I see a bit more than that from the Mustang. One is better. Neither is bad.
View from Camaro.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I have an interest in ALL cars and try to approach them as objectively and analytically as possible. That approach has fed my family and sent my kids to college :D . Mustangs and Camaros happen to be among my favorites.

I must say it is a little pretentious of you to "disagree" with what I see everyday, as if I am wrong in thinking I see what I see. Especially when you yourself have no real point of reference. And as for the "become used to the enclosed feel".... On any given day I drive any one of four vehicles in my household. Only one is a Camaro. There is ZERO adjustment that I need to make for visibility going from any one vehicle to another. Z...E...R...O

In the picture below, my front tires are on the white line. This is representhative of over 90% of the intersections I travel through. So what is the visual problem again?

The visible field from the Mustang cockpit is broader and you can see more. Doesn't make the Camaro field of view subpar or dangerous. I see more than I need to see from the Camaro. I see a bit more than that from the Mustang. One is better. Neither is bad.
I don’t think anyone is saying your thinking is wrong. Your opinion just isn’t what the majority think. I traded a 5th gen Camaro. Because I hated the sight lines and the interior that damn much. Loved the rest of the car. LS3, design styling. And the 6th gen didn’t improve visibility. Even magazine reviewer that fawn all over the 6th gen gripe about the interior and sight lines.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think anyone is saying your thinking is wrong. Your opinion just isn’t what the majority think. I traded a 5th gen Camaro. Because I hated the sight lines and the interior that damn much. Loved the rest of the car. LS3, design styling. And the 6th gen didn’t improve visibility. Even magazine reviewer that fawn all over the 6th gen gripe about the interior and sight lines.
Fair enough. The way it was worded led me to believe otherwise, but it's really no bother. For the sake of fairness, here's pretty much my worst case situation. Now, for this shot I pulled the phone back and down a bit, until it was literally touching my nose, so it shows part of my dash. When I snapped the pic, I could not see the RED light but I could clearly see the GREEN (the important one) and part of the YELLOW.
Worst case view.jpg

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase

In the picture below, my front tires are on the white line. This is representative of over 90% of the intersections I travel through. So what is the visual problem again?

If the visibility out of the Camaro is worse than the average car on the road then it, by definition, is sub-par.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Be careful. Chances are that visibility out of the Mustang is worse than that of the average car, too.

Norm
It absolutely is, but it's not enough where major driving adjustments have to be made.
Sponsored