Sponsored

Modding a 2018 Mustang GT - Where to start?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Let me first say that yes, this isn't my first rodeo modifying a car, but it IS my first american car. After doing some research on what mods I should invest in first, I'd figure I'd do a sanity check.

What I'm looking to do in the next 3-4 months:
GT350 IM
GT350 TB
Roush CAI
Tune?(Don't know who to go with yet)

I'm noticing a lot of people here are just uploading tunes to their car themselves, sending the stock tunes to a company to tweak and applying the tune the company sends them back. I'm not used to that, all tunes I have ever got were dyno-tested on my own car, which I assumed was always the best idea. Any reason 'at home' tuning seems to be so prevalent?

Also, I was planning on getting all the parts put on at once, then getting a tune. Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in the Central Florida area they could recommend?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
What part of FL are you in? We have a facility in Pompano Beach & can get you situated with a dyno tune & some of the parts you mentioned above (perhaps our 2018 CAI will be available).

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
What part of FL are you in? We have a facility in Pompano Beach & can get you situated with a dyno tune & some of the parts you mentioned above (perhaps our 2018 CAI will be available).

Best Regards,

TJ
I live in Orlando but I used to live in South Florida for 27 years, I know of the area, bit too far but I'll keep it in mind!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The 2018 IM is pretty good. In fact earlier years are upgrading to it as an alt to 350. Roush CAI is appealing due to enclosed design, but Steeda is also going that direction :)

Tune will depend alot on goals, important factors to you, etc.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Find an E85 station and do intake+tune+E85. I am headed that direction, after I get some time with the 93oct PBD tune.

I personally wouldn't do a GT350 IM. If you are going to dump time and cash into that sort of thing, I would look into the CJ IM. But there are a couple guys at or close to 500whp with intake, headers, exhaust, tune, and E85.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
goals and funds is the main deciding factor.. need to know budget, like if you only have 1k then you get a tune/intake maybe e85 if possible. if you have 2-3k you can do intake/tune headers. 5k+ straight to boost

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Orlando but I used to live in South Florida for 27 years, I know of the area, bit too far but I'll keep it in mind!
We also have Valdosta, GA which is a little closer - that is our manufacturing facility w/ full installation capabilities.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Ox1M-BbBKHA[/MEDIA]"]

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Save money and don’t waste it on a warm air intake! I would start with e85 flex tune, then borla attack catback, then headers, mgw shifter, steeda clutch spring, lighter but wider wheels and tires (305’s all around), 170 degree thermostat, gt 350 intake mani( will require cai), aluminum one piece drive shaft and finish it up with ford racing track handling package if you don’t have a magnetic ride control! You are looking at a 500+ whp road coarse warrior even faster than a gt350 around a corner (assuming you have a lighter base car that scales at 3700 lbs)!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Quite honestly I would start with JUST a tune, see how the car feels then start hitting suspension pieces. The biggest gain in power comes from the tune then the bolt-ons are just tossing little numbers to it. I wouldn't waste money on an intake unless you get a really good deal.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Drop in filter and flex fuel tune seem to be the opening best bang for the buck.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Tune it on corn. Headers are a huge expense installed for 20 whp. Unless your doing the ebay ones installed yourself. No thanks.

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
If I where you and if you want to retain your warranty then just wait for the Ford Performance power pack that will by released soon, I guess. ( It needs to installed by a Ford dealership or certified mechanic)

But if you are willing to void the warranty.
E85 tune ( LUND, VMP, PBD ) 12:1 compression in the 2018. So to really take advantage you need E85.

Then I would do headers and X or H pipe. Keep the stock mufflers and if you have the adjustable exhaust then you should be able to keep the sound level within reasonable levels with the headers.

Bigger air intake with bigger MAF sensor is always a benefit. But open intake is a hit or miss specially when you life in very hot climate.

I would not mess with, and simply save my money and not change the intake manifold and throttle body.

The GT350 throttle body seems to hard to tune for the aftermarket.
But it seems to work drivability wise and possible have some gains when used with the Ford Performance Power Packs.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If I where you and if you want to retain your warranty then just wait for the Ford Performance power pack that will by released soon, I guess. ( It needs to installed by a Ford dealership or certified mechanic)

But if you are willing to void the warranty.
E85 tune ( LUND, VMP, PBD ) 12:1 compression in the 2018. So to really take advantage you need E85.

Then I would do headers and X or H pipe. Keep the stock mufflers and if you have the adjustable exhaust then you should be able to keep the sound level within reasonable levels with the headers.

Bigger air intake with bigger MAF sensor is always a benefit. But open intake is a hit or miss specially when you life in very hot climate.

I would not mess with, and simply save my money and not change the intake manifold and throttle body.

The GT350 throttle body seems to hard to tune for the aftermarket.
But it seems to work drivability wise and possible have some gains when used with the Ford Performance Power Packs.
Please stop telling people they will void their warranty for tuning. First off, a dealer can't just VOID a warranty for modifications. Secondly, if his engine happens to break because it actually WAS a manufacturing defect, they have to cover it. Thirdly, not all dealers are anti modifications.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Tune it on corn. Headers are a huge expense installed for 20 whp. Unless your doing the ebay ones installed yourself. No thanks.
TSP are 600.. when people out here spending 1500+ on cat backs.. i mean seems like a good deal to me. ill do headers before i do cat back.
Sponsored