Sponsored

Spec clutch review..

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thought you boosted guys might like to read this..
I installed the spec stage 3+ clutch and fly wheel in my car last week. i saw it was a sprung hub and rate to 875 ft/lb which should be nice for my street driven and rarely tracked whipple car right? Did 500 miles in town to break it in. LITERALLY, the first WOT 3-4 shift I did broke 4th gear. 6r80 time I guess..
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Lol, should have gone with the 2+ hybrid I guess. Knock on wood, 16k miles, countless 1/4mile passes, no issues so far.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, should have gone with the 2+ hybrid I guess. Knock on wood, 16k miles, countless 1/4mile passes, no issues so far.

You happy with it's manners?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yeah I would be curious to know how you felt it engaged. How does it slip out and grab? any chatter or ion off feel.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Perfectly happy. It is heavier than stock no doubt (I took the spring out). The only time I ever felt it chatter was after being in stop and go traffic for about 2 hrs going about 3 miles on a 90 degree day, after getting going again it never chattered. I have a stage2+ in a older muscle car, and the hybrid version in the mustang is much smoother.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Perfectly happy. It is heavier than stock no doubt (I took the spring out). The only time I ever felt it chatter was after being in stop and go traffic for about 2 hrs going about 3 miles on a 90 degree day, after getting going again it never chattered. I have a stage2+ in a older muscle car, and the hybrid version in the mustang is much smoother.
So in realty you for someone like me running the Steeda spring, I could put the stock spring back in and get right back to where I am now.

Me like!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yeah I got the SPEC 2 plus as well and it’s heavier pedal, but not bad. This clutch holds lots of power no problem, think it’s rated at 725 TQ. It does have a short engagement and can be a little grabby compared with stock and will chatter a bit if you slip the clutch at low rpm. I do like the clutch, but it doesn’t not slip out as smooth as stock.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium 6 speed
Yeah I got the SPEC 2 plus as well and it’s heavier pedal, but not bad. This clutch holds lots of power no problem, think it’s rated at 725 TQ. It does have a short engagement and can be a little grabby compared with stock and will chatter a bit if you slip the clutch at low rpm. I do like the clutch, but it doesn’t not slip out as smooth as stock.
How long have you had it? In the market for a clutch this month.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thought you boosted guys might like to read this..
I installed the spec stage 3+ clutch and fly wheel in my car last week. i saw it was a sprung hub and rate to 875 ft/lb which should be nice for my street driven and rarely tracked whipple car right? Did 500 miles in town to break it in. LITERALLY, the first WOT 3-4 shift I did broke 4th gear. 6r80 time I guess..
Someone asked for comments on their experience with the Spec Stage 3+ clutch a while back and I gave it to them. I said that it clamps like a gorilla on steroids. It's on and off making it hard to feather. I personally loved the clutch on my 03 Cobra. I have thought about getting one for my Roush.

Edit:
Oh a couple of questions, were you running an aluminum flywheel and did you have to change the output shaft of the MT82?

Last edited:

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
So in realty you for someone like me running the Steeda spring, I could put the stock spring back in and get right back to where I am now.

Me like!

I would assume it should be near the same.
I re-used the factory flywheel (resurfaced), for the price, drivability, and how much abuse I have put it through daily driving 90miles with drag radials, 4200rpm launches with slicks (1.51 60') and 85ms WOT shifts, it has earned my respect. 16k miles so far, 2 differential failures, no transmission failures so far, if the clutch fails tomorrow I will replace it with the same. Everybody else's results may vary.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
I think I'm going with the Mcleod RST... any thoughts on that one?

I'm pushing just over 700whp

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume it should be near the same.
I re-used the factory flywheel (resurfaced), for the price, drivability, and how much abuse I have put it through daily driving 90miles with drag radials, 4200rpm launches with slicks (1.51 60') and 85ms WOT shifts, it has earned my respect. 16k miles so far, 2 differential failures, no transmission failures so far, if the clutch fails tomorrow I will replace it with the same. Everybody else's results may vary.

Great feedback, thank you. I almost wonder if I can get away with a plai stage 2 as I don't track the car.

KiLLjOY47

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Aurthur
Vehicle(s)
It's Silver
I've had the Spec 3+ about 10k miles now. I absolutely hated daily driving the car with this clutch. Every take off it seemed to engage differently.

There's no DOUBT it's a strong unit. I've made several passes at the track on slicks, broken a few parts in the rear end and lost 4th gear aswell. Installed a friends USED trans (had over 100 passes easily) and went back to the track with out power shifting managed a PB. Power shifting will almost always break an MT82 with any aggressive clutch. Ive since added a WOT box and it made a massive difference in how the trans feels.
42007607445_c3701c08a1_z.jpg
42908340931_e7be122c8f_z.jpg
42190266494_dcf6680ecf_z.jpg

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I think I'm going with the Mcleod RST... any thoughts on that one?

I'm pushing just over 700whp
I've got 2000 miles on the RST. Smoooooooooth as butter. I'd say better than stock. I can't tell the difference actually. How much will it hold? No clue. There are no springs in the clutch discs obviously, so I will say it grabs more direct when your aggressive with it. I've managed to spin the tires shifting from 3rd to 4th aggressively.

Edit... sorry for the thread hijack. Answered and then realized this is about the spec clutch.
Sponsored