Sponsored

Diy rear seat Delete

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Has anyone of here made one on there own?
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
One guy has but it was a trial and error thing and he doesn't have the templates left.

I have been on this mission lately having reached out to several vendors. If you do a search for "Rear seat delete" you will find several helpful threads. I just revived one last week.

I'm in talks with a local friend with a CNC router and if it all works out we can negotiate something.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I've been thinking about making my own. The thing is, I want a functional rear seat delete. That means the "seating" area should be able to support some weight, and the back portion should retain the fold down ability. I've been waiting for a manufacturer to fill this void, but I haven't really seen anyone step up to the plate.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
There are several kits with folding back/trunk panels. Having a "functional" rear seat delete can probably be done by making a formed cavity/mold.

If you can imagine a sandbag of sorts or any loose bag filled with media allowing support for the top surfaces.

By doing that you might negate any weight savings.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
<snip>...thing is, I want a functional rear seat delete. That means the "seating" area should be able to support some weight, and the back portion should retain the fold down ability. I've been waiting for a manufacturer to fill this void, but I haven't really seen anyone step up to the plate.
Hear hear!

IMO, a thin (lightweight) horiz. panel can still support a "reasonable" amount of weight as long as it's adequately-supported.

I realize that 10 different people are going to have 6 different concepts of "reasonable" weight, but for me -- as long as I can put...say...one mounted tire, or a fire extinguisher-sized tool box, or a modestly-loaded cooler on it -- I think that's "reasonable".

I agree with the beanbag-type media beneath the panel. I'm thinking it could be like installing a bathtub; the tub is metal -- and can support the weight that it will see -- but it needs a cow patty or two beneath it to avoid low spots and/or sagging. The cow patty in our cars could be that saltwater taffy goop that is often used to form molded shipping protection for electronics, or - sure - a couple of sacs of those styro-chippies. The latter would likely be easier to obtain I guess.

IIRC the rear seats weigh 35 lbs.(?) and/but I would be happy to reduce that to...say...16 or 18, which I think is quite possible. Additionally (for me) increased cargo functionality vs. weight reduction is about 65/35 in terms of priority. I've already accepted that I will never put a human back there...so I might as well remove the [easily-damaged] leather seating and convert the space into a space that I can actually use.

Now if we can just get that lazy, no-account '2morrow' guy to fire up his amazing, futuristic CAD system...and focus his lasers...and activate the forward viewing screen...

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hear hear!

IMO, a thin (lightweight) horiz. panel can still support a "reasonable" amount of weight as long as it's adequately-supported.

I realize that 10 different people are going to have 6 different concepts of "reasonable" weight, but for me -- as long as I can put...say...one mounted tire, or a fire extinguisher-sized tool box, or a modestly-loaded cooler on it -- I think that's "reasonable".

I agree with the beanbag-type media beneath the panel. I'm thinking it could be like installing a bathtub; the tub is metal -- and can support the weight that it will see -- but it needs a cow patty or two beneath it to avoid low spots and/or sagging. The cow patty in our cars could be that saltwater taffy goop that is often used to form molded shipping protection for electronics, or - sure - a couple of sacs of those styro-chippies. The latter would likely be easier to obtain I guess.

IIRC the rear seats weigh 35 lbs.(?) and/but I would be happy to reduce that to...say...16 or 18, which I think is quite possible. Additionally (for me) increased cargo functionality vs. weight reduction is about 65/35 in terms of priority. I've already accepted that I will never put a human back there...so I might as well remove the [easily-damaged] leather seating and convert the space into a space that I can actually use.

Now if we can just get that lazy, no-account '2morrow' guy to fire up his amazing, futuristic CAD system...and focus his lasers...and activate the forward viewing screen...
I hear ya, I'm working on it. Im trying to figure this out with all the other stuff I got going on lately.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I just bought the LMR one, then Steeda came out with an even cheaper one. I don't want flat, the LMR one has the depressions so I can throw a bag of groceries (insert your normal purchase here) in there and it'll be there when I get home. With flat it will end up who knows where. The LMR one is super light too, and that's mostly what I wanted it for. These are lardy cars and need all the help they can get in that respect.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I don't get the functional rear seat delete... who wants to drive around some mugs in the back of your car.

Two seater for life!

31917629143_b299f0e207_k.jpg

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I purchased the LMR as well. I found it to be too flimsy and will be sending it back. I thought I could reinforce it some way but even the brackets are too thin.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Hear hear!

This is exactly what I mean by functional. Really all you need to support the weight is some stiff foam blocks. The horizontal panel doesn't need to be super thick. 1/4" plywood should do the trick fine with foam on the bottom and should be plenty light.

Make it out of whatever material the spare tire cover is made out of (I'm guessing fiberglass, but probably wrong), and it would be even more lightweight and stiff.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Just an FYI for those that try the LMR version, once you open the box it is a 10% restocking fee....

OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
16fastback Could you tell me what you used for materials? I’d love to try making one. Did you write down any dimensions and it does fold down?

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Jason Lopez makes a really nice one and it's not expensive! He does custom logos and everything.
Here's the one he built for my car..

and here's his badass mustang.

Some big companies have picked him up, which wasn't his intention.. but Lethal, Steeda and some others..
Top quality, light-weight, looks and feels great.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Jason Lopez makes a really nice one and it's not expensive! He does custom logos and everything.
Here's the one he built for my car..

Looks Great!

That’s CM components right? I talked to the owner about a week ago and he seems like a solid dude. Your pix look very similar to the ones on his Facebook page.

Are you rockin a custom cage? TIA.
Sponsored