Sponsored

SoCal Tracks and Classes

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Hey guys,
So with my '18 GT on order I was thinking that 1. It would be fun to take it to the dragstrip 2. It would be fun to take to a track 3. I should maybe take a performance driving class instead of pretending I was born knowing how to drive a car to the edge of its ability

So...where do you guys go to drag race?

I'd also like to check out the Chuckwalla Valley Raceway- looks great. Any opinions or experience?

Any recommendations on a course to take? Chuckwalla offers one, as does a few others but I'm sure quality varies. Any advice would be welcome. I've been driving for 22 years...I'm assuming there's still much for me to learn though.
Sponsored

Scurd Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
speed ventures and speed district are the ones I go to. They have event all over. Just go to their website and take a look. They also have option for you to opt for a instructor. Hope to see you on the track soon! :headbang:

keltykid350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 GT350
Chuckwalla is a great track, good condition with some elevation change. Took their half day class in the race prepped Mustang GT’s a couple of years ago. The instructor was very experienced. I think all day might have been too long for me. Check for a groupon. You can drive your car on open session days after the class.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chuckwalla is a great track, good condition with some elevation change. Took their half day class in the race prepped Mustang GT’s a couple of years ago. The instructor was very experienced. I think all day might have been too long for me. Check for a groupon. You can drive your car on open session days after the class.
Awesome, that's great news. I think I can use my car in the class too right?

Sponsored

keltykid350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 GT350
Not sure, but just give them a call and they can work something out to get you driving.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
For Track stuff, I recommend starting out w/ autocross first. The skills from there transfer over nicely to track. Speedventures run autocross w/ their track days when they run at Fontana. SCCA runs monthly & there is a large number of american muscle cars that run w/ SCCA now. They also have instruction available officially on Sundays (solo2.com).

Next event is January 13/14. You can also come out on Saturday & get free ride alongs if you haven't done something like this before.

Chuckwalla is also very fun. I had a good time there.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For Track stuff, I recommend starting out w/ autocross first. The skills from there transfer over nicely to track. Speedventures run autocross w/ their track days when they run at Fontana. SCCA runs monthly & there is a large number of american muscle cars that run w/ SCCA now. They also have instruction available officially on Sundays (solo2.com).

Next event is January 13/14. You can also come out on Saturday & get free ride alongs if you haven't done something like this before.

Awesome man, thanks for that. Autocross looks "simple" but I bet it's an absolute blast. This is all new for me so this does seem like a logical place to start.

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

So I did some research and there's a San Diego club that's closer to me, and they have a race next weekend. I'm going to go check it out. Thanks again for the recommendation, this looks like a lot of fun, cheaper, and something I'll do much more often than going all the way out to Chuckwalla.

CarloStraus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech
So I did some research and there's a San Diego club that's closer to me, and they have a race next weekend. I'm going to go check it out. Thanks again for the recommendation, this looks like a lot of fun, cheaper, and something I'll do much more often than going all the way out to Chuckwalla.
Thanks Heavy for the post. I'm looking to start tracking or autocrossing myself. I think I'll start with auto cross cuz just like you said it seems easier to get into, it's closer and a bit cheaper. I've heard auto cross eats up your tires more though...but that's why I have an extra pair :)

I live in San Diego so I will probably going to events in SD. I may see you around :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Heavy for the post. I'm looking to start tracking or autocrossing myself. I think I'll start with auto cross cuz just like you said it seems easier to get into, it's closer and a bit cheaper. I've heard auto cross eats up your tires more though...but that's why I have an extra pair :)

I live in San Diego so I will probably going to events in SD. I may see you around :)
Yeah man, I'm going to swing by this Sunday. If you see a guy with a beard and a little Blue Heeler/ Aussie Cattle Dog on a leash come say hi :)

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1

Our CAM group is getting bigger and bigger....we had 11 cars in CAM-C for Dec alone. We all park and hangout together, if we have 10 or more show up in a class Chad Ryker in CAM-T brings donuts, and we have a potluck bbq from time to time when we have afternoon run time. Everyone is helpful and instructors are available on Saturday practice and Sunday race day, either to ride along or drive your car whatever you like.
Practice days sell out, so sign up early, you will get 12-14 runs normally
Here's Chad's website with a lot of good info
https://www.autoxandtrack.com/socal-guide-autocross-locations/
SCCA Cal Club
https://www.solo2.com/
Hope to see you there
Paul
CAM-C

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I did stop by the San Diego race the other day and got to ride along. Damn, it was a great time. I really stoked about it. I'll definitely be signing up for the novice class and the practice days. I'm really looking forward to it.
Paul, are you in SD or LA? I spoke with a few guys in SD and they were all super helpful.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
Thanks guys. I did stop by the San Diego race the other day and got to ride along. Damn, it was a great time. I really stoked about it. I'll definitely be signing up for the novice class and the practice days. I'm really looking forward to it.
Paul, are you in SD or LA? I spoke with a few guys in SD and they were all super helpful.
I'm in Long Beach, I run with Cal Club in Fontana and El Toro
I'll be down in SD for the Pro Solo this year
Another fun event is the Hotchkis Autocross, it's 4 times a year
you get 12 runs per day no track work is required
https://www.facebook.com/racingbyrds/posts/1162954033837505

OP
OP
HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)