Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
My wife's Benz has the stop/start feature, but it does come with a button where you can turn it off....
....each and every time you start the car.
Sponsored

Blue 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Going with the look of the 17 GT and 350 over the 18. Good decision.
Except it's not.

It's just keeping the 2015 V6 headlights.

Poor decision in my opinion.

the headlights on the 18 are one of the best parts of the redesign and look thoroughly more modern and aggressive.

The more pedestrian design on the brand new top model just seems... cheap.

the GT350 made sense. A car that was already available and it stayed the same.

But a new car not even out yet with old headlights that can be found on a 3 year old base model V6? Very poor choice. Hopefully that element gets worked out between now and availability.

Even better if they do something specific for the Gt500 that is different from other Mustangs.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Except it's not.

It's just keeping the 2015 V6 headlights.

Poor decision in my opinion.

the headlights on the 18 are one of the best parts of the redesign and look thoroughly more modern and aggressive.

The more pedestrian design on the brand new top model just seems... cheap.

the GT350 made sense. A car that was already available and it stayed the same.

But a new car not even out yet with old headlights that can be found on a 3 year old base model V6? Very poor choice. Hopefully that element gets worked out between now and availability.

Even better if they do something specific for the Gt500 that is different from other Mustangs.

As petty as it may sound to complain about headlamps, I completely agree. But we'll never get agreement as looks are, of course, subjective. You and I prefer the 18 lamps, others prefer the older design.

I prefer them for the reasons you state...I think they look a lot more aggressive. And that surely fits with the GT500 theme.

However, the CGI video certainly made them look like they've blacked out some components of the headlamp, so that may help.

Strangely, I seem to recall on one video from the '18MY introduction (I believe it was Jim Owens) indicated the "vent" under the headlamp was there for a hi-po model in the future. Hmmm.....will need to hunt that video out!

Sponsored

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Strangely, I seem to recall on one video from the '18MY introduction (I believe it was Jim Owens) indicated the "vent" under the headlamp was there for a hi-po model in the future. Hmmm.....will need to hunt that video out!
I remember reading something like that. Now it does make perfect sense. They are using the older headlights because of the location of the "vent" was problematic (or not that functional) with the '18 headlights and they decided to go with a side vent instead.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they could have still used the 18 headlights though... they have more of a downward orientation that makes them look more aggressive. The top line of the 15-17 headlights is, for the most part, parallel with the ground, and the back corner near the fender is what makes them look mean. By covering that corner and adding a vent, I have a feeling its going to give the front end a "drowsy" look rather than a "mean" look

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
the only think I didn't like about that 18 headlight is the orange marker at the bottom. get rid of that and it's ok in my book.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think most don't dislike the MY18 headlights, but (as previously stated) make the front end appear to frown from some angles.

As for the GT500, this could be a case of simply not wanting to re-tool the front end. Remember, the GT350 is wider up front and has a unique front carbon fiber support that likely dictates the location and shape of the headlights.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
See, people keep saying it's due to retooling, but 1. the GT500 bumper is different anyway, and 2. the bumper on the GT350 is no wider than a standard S550 bumper. The carbon fiber support would make sense, but I'm pretty sure the 2018 headlights are interchangeable as long as you have the bumper cover to support them.

Only think I can think is since the 2018 hood sits WAY lower than even the GT350, and we've seen how much height the supercharger adds to the top of the hood... maybe they simply weren't able to fit the engine without lowering it to a dangerous place for the oil pan or without adding a very unsightly "Cowl" (Sort of like the ZR1 corvette)... maybe that could explain why it took so long. Perhaps they intended to go with the 2018 refresh front end, but ended up with serious fitment issues

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
That brings up a good point about front end height and I instantly think Dodge is fucked.

The Challenger and Charger are both minature Mack Trucks with tall flat front ends.

Anyone know how the Dodge is going to get away with the safety standards or is it just Ford thats making the front ends so much lower so it can still be a "global" market car?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Lot of gymnastics going on here.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The whole "Low front end" deal is a European standard, and as far as I know, they don't sell chargers and challengers over here (At least not that I've seen... the only ones I see are either imported or are owned by Americans). That's why it matters to the mustang, but even at that, the standard 2015 GT is still within european regulations. They just lowered the front of the 2018 more to address aerodynamic and visibility discrepancies

Bossssssss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302
New member here (old school guy that owns a 1970 Boss 302).

I looked very carefully at the one picture of the large rotor (where the fellow has his hand on it to show the size). If you look closely at the hub and zoom in, you can see it is a splined rotor (or that center section is probably the hub).
I have never messed with 'new' mustangs and by that I mean anything later than a 1973 (yes, I am a really old school guy).....so tell me, do all the new mustangs have splined rotors in the front? I know front wheel drive cars have splined hubs to allow for the axles to plug into.......so if these are splined for axles, is the new GT 500 going to be All Wheel Drive??????

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
splined front hubs mean nothing. Its entirely possible the bearing/hub was swiped from something else like a Ford Explorer. Or a whole different make of car, as suppliers work across most if not all brands today.
Sponsored