Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My favorite color for a '67-'68 too.

Best part is that it won't be (over)restored, but left alone. As it should be.

It'll be an awesome piece once cleaned up and detailed.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Someone already bought it - I wonder how much of a steal they got that for.

"Give you 40k for that beat up old Mustang out there in the barn."

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Someone already bought it - I wonder how much of a steal they got that for.

"Give you 40k for that beat up old Mustang out there in the barn."
True story.....

When I was 17 and in my first year of college (General Motors Institute in Flint, Mi.) I was walking past a house not far from campus that had an older white Mustang with blue stripes sitting in the driveway with a For Sale sign. One time when I was walking by there was a young guy (but older than me) washing it, so I asked him about it. He said his grandfather had recently died and left him the car. He was looking to sell it and buy a new Camaro (Flint is a Chevrolet town on steroids. An engine plant, back then a couple stamping plants and a truck plant). He wanted to get $2,500 for it. To him it was just an old Mustang. I noticed the stripe on the lower sill read ā€œGT 350ā€. Went to the bank for a loan.

I was under 18, so they said Iā€™d need a co-signer. This was 1978 (before fax machines and cell phones) and my mom lived in Buffalo. Took me three days to convince her to co-sign for me. By then it was gone (shocker!!). I canā€™t say with 100% certainty that it was a Shelby and not just a ā€œregularā€ Mustang dressed up to look like a Shelby, but to 17 yr old me, it sure as heck seemed like a no-foolinā€™ Shelby. And worst case scenario, $2,500 for a great looking Mustang? Guess I ā€˜ll never know. Wound up picking up a good condition 1974 Mustang that eventually got traded for a 1976 Cobra II.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Back in the very early '90s I could have bought a complete, running, but a little rough-around-the-edges 4-speed '67 GT500 for $5,000. Originally Lime Frost with a black interior, was in black primer.

Of course, being in college at the time, there was zero money for such a thing. I still kick myself for not finding a way on that one, I could have just parked it and made a wicked return on the investment.

Sigh.
Sponsored