Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've run ST43 on an enduro car with fantastic results. Good release characteristics, good bite, very durable. However, that car weighed about 2500 lbs. Eager to see what you think of them.

I've posted in other threads that for my use, the stock pads are fine (they wear quickly, but are cheap and hold up to both street and track use). For your use, a true race pad is definitely the way to go.

Also glad the wheels didn't get screwed up by the flying brake pad debris!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have Vorshlag and have -3 but it can go more - not sure how much more. It is touching the sheetmetal at -3 so if you go more, you will have to make a modification.
I'm hoping to get more data to see how hard you need to push to need more than -3. IF you need more than -3, it might make sense to just get the MM + camber bolts as it'll be cheaper.

Duh!!! What an idiot I am!!!! Great use of suspension bits. Seriously, these cars love camber. I will have to rethink not having camber plates. I have only tracked the R once with the BMR bolts (session's where cold and wet, bummer) but had several sessions with my TP albeit on MPSS camber maxed out. I could only imagine -4 degrees camber:eyebulge:

Great post! Thanks for sharing and have a safe trip to TX.

Harold
I had a track day with the -3 and it definitely felt more responsive. I only got 1 dry session, so not enough data to be conclusive tho. Might be good to add plates to get maximum clearance before adjusting the bolt since it moves the wheel closer to the strut.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've run ST43 on an enduro car with fantastic results. Good release characteristics, good bite, very durable. However, that car weighed about 2500 lbs. Eager to see what you think of them.

I've posted in other threads that for my use, the stock pads are fine (they wear quickly, but are cheap and hold up to both street and track use). For your use, a true race pad is definitely the way to go.

Also glad the wheels didn't get screwed up by the flying brake pad debris!
From a limited track day, they felt really good. Not quite as strong as the G-Loc R16s were, but they show no visible signs of wear yet (good sign for life) and the very initial bite is strong and more consistent than the G-Locs were. Excited to how they play out.

Agreed on OEM pads. They're great for occasional/light track use. They have plenty of stopping power and don't fade too bad. Just pricey for us that track often (I would've gone through 8 sets last year alone :D)

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Was good to meet you and your family at the Ridge. Hope to play again this spring.
5169.jpeg

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm using the ST43s as well. They work well. Almost no wear after two days at VIR! I'd like a touch more bite, but they already don't have quite as nice release as the Carbotech & G-Loc pads and I'd hate to make that worse. They're still easy to modulate when applying brakes, just gotta be a bit smoother off the pedal.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Was good to meet you and your family at the Ridge. Hope to play again this spring.
Hey Randy! Had no idea you were on 6! You looked like you were having a blast out there in the rain :D

I'm using the ST43s as well. They work well. Almost no wear after two days at VIR! I'd like a touch more bite, but they already don't have quite as nice release as the Carbotech & G-Loc pads and I'd hate to make that worse. They're still easy to modulate when applying brakes, just gotta be a bit smoother off the pedal.
My short time with them resonates with your thoughts as well. They modulate really well and initial bite is nice and predictable. They do have the ST47 compound that I’ve thought about trying next time just to compare. Will probably call at some point to get more data.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
First Texas track day is scheduled!

Signed up for my first track day in TX and doing it the right way. Will probably try and pick something up before July 13th if timing permits, but this one is going to be hard compete with.

COTA under the lights! Hell ya! Any other members going?
Capture.JPG

Feel free to jump in with insights/recommendations for COTA.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
COTA! I want to drive that track so damn bad. That and VIR are the highest on my bucket list as far as US tracks outside of California. Gotta hit all the SoCal tracks first though! Can't wait to see your videos from there!

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
COTA! I want to drive that track so damn bad. That and VIR are the highest on my bucket list as far as US tracks outside of California. Gotta hit all the SoCal tracks first though! Can't wait to see your videos from there!
If you've never done Road Atlanta, that needs to be on your list. I promise you, it's worth it. Especially if you could schedule an event close to a VIR event, and just hit them both in the same time-frame.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you've never done Road Atlanta, that needs to be on your list. I promise you, it's worth it. Especially if you could schedule an event close to a VIR event, and just hit them both in the same time-frame.
Way ahead of ya'. I have a big road trip planned in August that includes Road Atlanta and VIR (including a couple of others :))

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, we're all moved into the new house. It's been a crazy couple of weeks - talk about busy! Things don't appear to be slowing down either.
20180607_103626.jpg

I've started progress on the Badger Den - my new 22x22 detached garage. Tore down the sheet rock to expose the studs so I can re-wire and add insulation. Turns out Texas is bloody hot. Lasted 1 week before the car went to the dealer to get the AC fixed (spent 8 months dealing with it in the PNW) and prepping the garage for AC.
20180622_183424.jpg

20180623_160449.jpg

About ready to put new sheet rock up after running (2) dedicated 20amp circuits, rewiring the lights to their own circuit, and adding a 240v circuit for the AC. Got the mini spit ductless AC unit on the way. I also ordered (4) 4-bulb LED lighting fixtures to make it brighter than the surface of the sun.

My 14 piece cabinet set is also on the way. It's going to be incredible.

Planning on epoxy for the floor and some type of grey for the walls. If anyone has any recommendations, please jump in!

For the car, I have FTBR front end links and the FP sway bars on the way - gotta get that body roll under control. I've also ordered a new AIM Solo II DL to start getting more granular with my data analysis. Going to be a kickass summer!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've been busy planning away the summer/fall. I think it's going to be a fun time.

• July 13th - COTA
  • July 21-22 - Road Atlanta
  • Aug 18-19 - Road Atlanta
  • Aug 23-24 - VIR

Those are all bought and paid for. Looking to add in a few other local events as well. Also hoping to add the Daytona HPDE days in the beginning of December. Going to be busy!

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Consider insulating the garage door. From the pics it looks like the sheet metal type. In the heat of the summer your AC may not be able to keep up without insulating the door. FWIW, I take a break from tracking in the summer months.

Looks like we have the same mods planned for the summer (sways & solo).

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Consider insulating the garage door. From the pics it looks like the sheet metal type. In the heat of the summer your AC may not be able to keep up without insulating the door. FWIW, I take a break from tracking in the summer months.

Looks like we have the same mods planned for the summer (sways & solo).
Absolutely right. I'm insulating all 4 walls (door included) as well as the ceiling (already done). Since it never really cools off here in the summer months because of the humidity, AC runs a lot. Every bit counts.

And good choice! Are you running the FP lowering springs?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, we're all moved into the new house. It's been a crazy couple of weeks - talk about busy! Things don't appear to be slowing down either.
20180607_103626.jpg

I've started progress on the Badger Den - my new 22x22 detached garage. Tore down the sheet rock to expose the studs so I can re-wire and add insulation. Turns out Texas is bloody hot. Lasted 1 week before the car went to the dealer to get the AC fixed (spent 8 months dealing with it in the PNW) and prepping the garage for AC.
20180622_183424.jpg

20180623_160449.jpg

About ready to put new sheet rock up after running (2) dedicated 20amp circuits, rewiring the lights to their own circuit, and adding a 240v circuit for the AC. Got the mini spit ductless AC unit on the way. I also ordered (4) 4-bulb LED lighting fixtures to make it brighter than the surface of the sun.

My 14 piece cabinet set is also on the way. It's going to be incredible.

Planning on epoxy for the floor and some type of grey for the walls. If anyone has any recommendations, please jump in!

For the car, I have FTBR front end links and the FP sway bars on the way - gotta get that body roll under control. I've also ordered a new AIM Solo II DL to start getting more granular with my data analysis. Going to be a kickass summer!
Sounds like a great plan, care to elaborate on the cabinet set? I have a bunch of Gladiator stuff, but I need more...