First time with my 2018

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I hate to make excuses but I think my 2018 A10 GT deserves a little break. The DA at Brainerd last night was 2800-2900. My car is not broken in. It only has 600 miles on it. I did the runs in Sport mode and not drag strip mode because it either hits the rev limiter in Drag mode or the traction control is interfering. (I need to get to the bottom of that.) Launch was very gentle - barely above idle.

12.6 @ 114

[ame]
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nice man these things rock, grated I don't have the gt, my buddy does and that thing flies

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone else had issues with hitting the rev limiter when using dragstrip mode? I tried it one time and it just fell on its face at the 1-2 shift. I am not 100% sure if it was the rev limiter or traction control. It broke the tires loose on the shift and fishtailed.

Rhinogt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
Did you turn Advance Trac off after you switch to drag mode? Mine did what you described the first time I tried drag mode. That’s when I realized it turns advance trac back on when you switch modes.

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Did you turn Advance Trac off after you switch to drag mode? Mine did what you described the first time I tried drag mode. That’s when I realized it turns advance trac back on when you switch modes.
I forgot to turn it off!

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i heard you need to use it a few times to let it learn in that mode. i dont know if this is true. but last time i remember seeing someone with this issue they did it a few times and it stopped hitting the limiter

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Has anyone else had issues with hitting the rev limiter when using dragstrip mode? I tried it one time and it just fell on its face at the 1-2 shift. I am not 100% sure if it was the rev limiter or traction control. It broke the tires loose on the shift and fishtailed.
Another member of this board experienced the same symptom as you described. See thread there: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103484

Try and turn off Advance Traction by holding the TC toggle switch up and you will see the prompt saying Advance Trac is disabled. This will hopefully eliminate the hanging of the RPM's from the 1-2 shift.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Not bad at all considering the DA and tightness of the car.

Still has about a half sec and 4-5 mph left in it.

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Not bad at all considering the DA and tightness of the car.

Still has about a half sec and 4-5 mph left in it.
Thanks. I want to be able to run drag mode without it falling on its face at the 1-2 shift. I am going to try shutting off the stability control as others have suggested. I am thinking more miles on the car will help, too. Mostly, I want see some better air.

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thanks. I want to be able to run drag mode without it falling on its face at the 1-2 shift. I am going to try shutting off the stability control as others have suggested. I am thinking more miles on the car will help, too. Mostly, I want see some better air.

I posted this in another thread. There is an issue with hitting the rev limiter. Its not a traction control issue and it can happen in all modes expect normal. I was told by a friend of mine who is an engineer at Ford that it could be a software issue or possible a trans issue.

This has happened to me at the track and on the street. It does not happen in normal mode but if I put it in sport, track or drag it hits the rev limiter. I was testing more today, with advance traction control off. The first run in drag mode it hit second gear perfect, okay its working fine...weird. Just to make sure, I made a back up run, well it hit the rev limiter again. I made another run in sport, same thing, hit the rev limiter. I did a third test in normal and it was fine.

The engineer told me to bring to the dealer so Ford can get more data on how many cars are affected by this issue. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer, but wont have time for another month. I will report back here when I get the time. My dealer is great to work with, and as soon as I drop it off the engineer I know well contact the dealer to get this issue resolved in a timely manner.

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Mine at times has issues in drag mode holding rpm's and Friday it would fall flat on its face going into 7th.

As people have said, make sure TC is off as well in drag mode or it will fall onto its face during shifts.

Your car ran about the same as mine did in sport mode.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another member of this board experienced the same symptom as you described. See thread there: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103484

Try and turn off Advance Traction by holding the TC toggle switch up and you will see the prompt saying Advance Trac is disabled. This will hopefully eliminate the hanging of the RPM's from the 1-2 shift.
I had TC off and mine would hold the gear at 7800rpm so not even close to the same symptom.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in another thread. There is an issue with hitting the rev limiter. Its not a traction control issue and it can happen in all modes expect normal. I was told by a friend of mine who is an engineer at Ford that it could be a software issue or possible a trans issue.

This has happened to me at the track and on the street. It does not happen in normal mode but if I put it in sport, track or drag it hits the rev limiter. I was testing more today, with advance traction control off. The first run in drag mode it hit second gear perfect, okay its working fine...weird. Just to make sure, I made a back up run, well it hit the rev limiter again. I made another run in sport, same thing, hit the rev limiter. I did a third test in normal and it was fine.

The engineer told me to bring to the dealer so Ford can get more data on how many cars are affected by this issue. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer, but wont have time for another month. I will report back here when I get the time. My dealer is great to work with, and as soon as I drop it off the engineer I know well contact the dealer to get this issue resolved in a timely manner.
I'm very interested in this, mine doesn't hit a limiter, it just goes flat after going into 7th.

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The issue of going flat after shifting to 7th and the issue of falling on its face at the 1-2 shift seem like totally different issues to me.

Loki, your issue seems like the car is pulling timing or otherwise reducing power to protect itself. The RPMs are not close to redline just after the shift. Could excessive engine temps be causing this?

As for falling on its face at the 1-2 shift, my RPMs were not excessive or hanging. I had a video of the run (since deleted, unfortunately) that showed each shift at around 7300-7400. At the 1-2 shift, the tires broke traction and the car fishtailed slightly. At that point, the engine went flat and RPM fell to around 5000. All of the other shifts were quick and firm at 7300-7400 and RPM never dropped under 6000.

Running in Sport mode, the shifts occurred around 7200. There was no wheelspin on the 1-2 shift and the engine pulled good all the way through the quarter mile.

I am getting a tune and having the rev limiter raised a couple hundred RPM or so. 1st gear is pretty short especially with the 3.55 rear end. It reaches the first shift point VERY quickly so it is possible that it hits the limiter before the transmission can shift. However, I haven't totally ruled out stability control, either.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The issue of going flat after shifting to 7th and the issue of falling on its face at the 1-2 shift seem like totally different issues to me.
Agreed, 100%.

Loki, your issue seems like the car is pulling timing or otherwise reducing power to protect itself. The RPMs are not close to redline just after the shift. Could excessive engine temps be causing this?
Doubtful, heads were at 205f, engine temp was normal, not sure why it won't display coolant temp.

As for falling on its face at the 1-2 shift, my RPMs were not excessive or hanging. I had a video of the run (since deleted, unfortunately) that showed each shift at around 7300-7400. At the 1-2 shift, the tires broke traction and the car fishtailed slightly. At that point, the engine went flat and RPM fell to around 5000. All of the other shifts were quick and firm at 7300-7400 and RPM never dropped under 6000.

Running in Sport mode, the shifts occurred around 7200. There was no wheelspin on the 1-2 shift and the engine pulled good all the way through the quarter mile.

I am getting a tune and having the rev limiter raised a couple hundred RPM or so. 1st gear is pretty short especially with the 3.55 rear end. It reaches the first shift point VERY quickly so it is possible that it hits the limiter before the transmission can shift. However, I haven't totally ruled out stability control, either.
Mine in drag mode shifted at 7700 or 7800 and like you the 1 - 2 shift and the back kicked out and hit hard, the rest until 7th were very firm and chirped until 4th. Sport mode mine also shifted around 7200, same issue going into 7th.

I am praying for it to be stability control, a nice easy fix if I can remember to shut the damn thing off. It's supposed to be real nice at GLD this Friday, if all goes well tonight I will be back at the track giving it another go, hopefully minus the head winds and issue(s) this time.
Sponsored