Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I check out all types of cars at our local C&C, even the ugly ragged out Miatas because occasionally I do think they're kind of cool. Car culture is bigger than it has even been. Some people treat it just like a sport. You have your team and everyone else is a rival. I personally think boxing yourself in from enjoying other things is pretty stupid but it's not really a new concept just a newer trend for the car scene.
Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
We have a local car gathering every Saturday at the Suds Drive In and I have gone a couple of times. Both times, no one would speak to me. I'm a pretty open and friendly guy so I guess it's because I am 60 that the younger crowd ignores me. Heck here in Indiana, if your car is not a 5.0 with a Whipple and every cat and muffler ripped off your car, you should stay home as far as they are concerned.

But I do love it when I'm at a stop light and some 16 year old redneck pulls up beside me in his Mustang and starts revving the engine. I put her in Track mode and when the light changes, he watches my tail lights half way down the block.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
We have a local car gathering every Saturday at the Suds Drive In and I have gone a couple of times. Both times, no one would speak to me. I'm a pretty open and friendly guy so I guess it's because I am 60 that the younger crowd ignores me. Heck here in Indiana, if your car is not a 5.0 with a Whipple and every cat and muffler ripped off your car, you should stay home as far as they are concerned.

But I do love it when I'm at a stop light and some 16 year old redneck pulls up beside me in his Mustang and starts revving the engine. I put her in Track mode and when the light changes, he watches my tail lights half way down the block.
And then you woke up.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I have to agree with some others here that said that society in general has become less social than ever before. I too love to look at most any brand and type of car or truck and will try and strike up a conversation with the owner. If i let them lead off, most times i can get them to open up, but some are just jerks who will not talk to me. I am 65 and have seen all types of people and some are just not friendly. Life is just too short to be like that so i am open to most everyone. :)

bigdave03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Mustang Gt
I went to my first cruise in if the year two weeks ago and made at least 10 new friends of all walks and ages. Could it be I rolled in rocking the Z? I’m not sure but I only felt like the odd man out for a few minutes. I just struck up a convo with an older gentleman who had a 6th gen viper and all was well. I hadn’t been to a show in years but one thing I did notice was the folks who would just stop to look would have no control of their kids. I had at least 3 kids use my side skirts for steps to climb up and look into the car. I’m not one to say anything but some other guys there did and the parents gave them the look of death. Like they just insulted them In the worst way. There were lots of cars of all types and years and the atmosphere was great. :cheers:

Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Can't delete this one...:frusty:
After reading the posts so far and anticipating where this may go, I understand your frustration...

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
We have a few snobs here where I am, but for the most part everyone is pretty friendly

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I think the massive amount of performance cars and parts available today is just creating more specific groups.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Your doing it all wrong. You need to Snapchat or Instagram them...from 5ft away...

Social interaction as a whole IN PERSON has gone down...mainly due to Social media(antisocial media). We were just talking about this at work. 10 years ago everyone talked to each other in the break room. Now all you see is phones and people looking at them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Part of your experience could be the clique thing - when you are the new person and all the regulars don't know you yet.
Not my first rodeo, I've been the new guy plenty of times, including a cruise I stopped at last night. Completely different experience last night, the old guys all walked over to check out the car, was much like the times I remember from a decade ago.

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know... I love 'em all. Old, new, stock, slightly modded, extreme hot-rods, street legal, or track only. Piston, turbine, jet, rocket. Two, three, four, or more wheels. Just about any combination of the above. There's something interesting in all of 'em. I just like some more than others, that's all.:D
Ditto! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting observation and I've experienced similar lack of interaction at car shows, coffee shops, the grocery store, the shooting range, and speaking to fellow (I thought) hunters.

Very few are social anymore and I don't know why. I'll talk to anybody and keep it friendly/civil, but on many occasions I've also experienced the 'Why are you trying to interact with me?' look. :shrug:

Even back in my street racing days (early 80's) I could converse with Chevy and Dodge guys and usually without too much brand bravado BS, just some friendly ribbing and laughs.

Guess times always change.

Your Chevelle was a sweet ride and I had similar experiences when I owned my '70 Mach 1. Days gone by...
You nailed it, I miss those days. :cheers:

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went to my first cruise in if the year two weeks ago and made at least 10 new friends of all walks and ages. Could it be I rolled in rocking the Z? I’m not sure but I only felt like the odd man out for a few minutes. I just struck up a convo with an older gentleman who had a 6th gen viper and all was well. I hadn’t been to a show in years but one thing I did notice was the folks who would just stop to look would have no control of their kids. I had at least 3 kids use my side skirts for steps to climb up and look into the car. I’m not one to say anything but some other guys there did and the parents gave them the look of death. Like they just insulted them In the worst way. There were lots of cars of all types and years and the atmosphere was great. :cheers:
I hear ya, generally I try to strike up a conversation, some people just aren't interested. Last night was a good cruise night.

As for the kids, agreed, parents have no control and apparently don't want control of their special little brat who is allowed to do as they wish to anything they wish. I have no issue telling the parents to get their kid off of the car unless they want the bill for the damage.

With the Chevelle I have had to remove kids from hanging off of the door to look in. Instead of saying something to the kid I'd say something like please control your child, people worked hard for these cars.

I have yet to have an issue with a parent, most just don't seem to understand that other people don't want their kids beating up a nice car.
Sponsored