Sponsored

2018 GT MT-82 Destroys itself.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Good thing none of these keyboard commandos are making the decision on the warranty. They act like they would have you arrested. Lol

Yup! My thoughts exactly, upgrade one part, downgrade another.

Upside is warranty covers it no questions asked .
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Updated Picture of 3/4 Shift fork.

Tech says it cracked over time, and eventually snapped off.

Photo_May_23_7_45_08_PM.jpg

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Thanks but no thanks. I will keep my steel forks.

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks but no thanks. I will keep my steel forks.
I'm really hoping they do a recall and return to the Steel forks lmao.

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE

Parts arrive next Wednesday, car will be in my hands next Friday.

I got lucky with an Amazing Tech.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No lift gear bangin' is tough on ANY transmission ... no surprise that problems arise.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Regardless, the analogy doesn't apply.

I will continue to drive my car as I have been, yes.

Ford has acknowledged that it is an issue, and is redesigning the forks once again to be steel and stronger.

At the end of the day, if they can't get it right, Tremec makes a fantastic swap :)
Interesting..where did you come across that tidbit? I'm guessing that'll end up being a TSB for folks that encounter this failure. I'm on the S550 groups on FB and I haven't seen any posts about this yet.

Prior to losing the gear, did you get any indication that the shift fork was cracked?

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting..where did you come across that tidbit? I'm guessing that'll end up being a TSB for folks that encounter this failure. I'm on the S550 groups on FB and I haven't seen any posts about this yet.

Prior to losing the gear, did you get any indication that the shift fork was cracked?
No indication at all, car drove perfectly fine, then let go during granny shifting a 2nd -> 3rd at 40.

No grinding, nothing, not even a peep when it let go.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
No indication at all, car drove perfectly fine, then let go during granny shifting a 2nd -> 3rd at 40.

No grinding, nothing, not even a peep when it let go.
Glad that you're getting it fixed. Are you going to keep the '18 or replace it with something else?

Do we know if the Ford has gotten back to steel for the '19 Model Year?

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Threads like this and confirmation from my Ford Tech friends that there are serious problems with the 18 GT’s is enough for me to keep my 17 PP GT and never buy a 2018. I dealt with this same shit with my Focus RS. 2,000 miles on my 17 RS2 and the motor let go bone stock. FordGave RS owners the royal shaft and run around. They wanted to cheap out and cut corners on the motors. They should have let cosworth build the RS motors like they did in the past. This is becoming a trend with ford. It’s discouraging because all I own are Fords.

Sponsored

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Threads like this and confirmation from my Ford Tech friends that there are serious problems with the 18 GT’s is enough for me to keep my 17 PP GT and never buy a 2018. I dealt with this same shit with my Focus RS. 2,000 miles on my 17 RS2 and the motor let go bone stock. FordGave RS owners the royal shaft and run around. They wanted to cheap out and cut corners on the motors. They should have let cosworth build the RS motors like they did in the past. This is becoming a trend with ford. It’s discouraging because all I own are Fords.
This is making me re-consider my '19 Bullitt purchase, and keep my '17 GT/CS until these issues have been ironed out.

:shrug:

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Eight thousand Mustangs are sold every month.

So a few dozen have engine or gearbox issues. Make it 500 that tick and break forks...still less than one percent of Mustangs sold in a year with these issues.

I don’t mind those odds.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Eight thousand Mustangs are sold every month.

So a few dozen have engine or gearbox issues. Make it 500 that tick and break forks...still less than one percent of Mustangs sold in a year with these issues.

I don’t mind those odds.
In that mindset, sure. But, you have ZERO idea on the metrics. What I mean is this: is this consolidated to certain build dates? certain part lot? a supplier’s particular line? all 2018?

If there are 20-24 claims per build month (made up numbers), that’s 2.5-3.0 incidents per thousand vehicles... not a good figure in industry. Not terrible, but not good. And 500 claims? That’s 62 incidents per thousand vehicles a TERRIBLE number.

Tremec has been using cast aluminum shift forks for years.

This is not an issue of them being cast aluminium (the steel forks weren’t the best either) - it’s the design of the fork(s) by Ford/Getrag, Getrag’s casting process or an error at Getrag’s manufacturing facility.

Last edited:

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Updated Picture of 3/4 Shift fork.

Tech says it cracked over time, and eventually snapped off.

Photo_May_23_7_45_08_PM.jpg
A shift fork should not break like that, no matter how hard you are driving, using the clutch correctly - there should be little load on the shift forks using the clutch. Maybe power-shifting (NOT using the clutch), sure. The MT-82 even has internal shift stops.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A shift fork should not break like that, no matter how hard you are driving, using the clutch correctly - there should be little load on the shift forks using the clutch. Maybe power-shifting (NOT using the clutch), sure. The MT-82 even has internal shift stops.
OP appears to shift hard. In the previous dash cam video, the video shudders during the shift, indicating a shock to the car. Now whether that can bend or break a shift fork I have no idea. Either way, that can't be good for the dog teeth on the gears.
Sponsored