Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Immediately after installing the Steeda Progressive Springs, I noticed I was getting a slight buh buh buh noise in the front end over any road imperfections or bumps. I started thinking- "well, crap... how did I mess this up?"

So I hit up [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] to see what I did wrong. After a short phone chat- he knew exactly what I messed up. I had not torqued the top strut nut to specification after installing the spring. :frusty: I knew better than that... ugh.

HUGE Thank you [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] . Not only did he get back to me fast, but was awesome to work with and was non-judgemental. His only concern was to assist me in fixing the issue. Kudos on the awesome customer service!!! I thank you so much :thumbsup:

Now, at the top of the strut you need to hold the center shaft while tightening the strut nut with a torque wrench. Easier said than done LOL. I went searching online and could not find a 21mm strut socket. Yes, they make such a thing. I did not know this. I got a few search results, but they weren't available, or rarely available in that size. Oh there were some for other sizes, and I saw reference to BMW models for many of them. But finding the 21mm- no dice at that time. BUT- What I did see was a picture of the tool... Not complicated but also not available.

So rather than take it to a shop, I wanted to tackle this. So with the online images studied, I decided to make the tool. Beware the below pics aren't pretty... I clearly am not a metal worker, have no high end shop tools, no lathe, etc... LOL. But, here's what I did.

Went to Harbor Freight. (Figured if I am going to purposely tear up a good socket, might as well not spend a bunch of dough) I bought a deep well impact 21mm socket. Took my trusty dremmel tool with heavy duty cut off wheel and cut a window into the side of the socket.

picture.jpg

I had to adjust a couple of times, because I needed to make sure:
a) I could get the 10mm wrench inside to hold the strut shaft top
b) I could actually turn both and get enough leverage to torque the outside.

This resulted in roughly a little more than half of the body side to side. This is a balance because you don't want to weaken the body so you can actually torque to specification (76ft/lbs I believe, thats the torque spec on the following thread see this post but I don't have a shop manual to confirm. So, proceed at your own risk) And positioned up/down with enough to again get the 10mm wrench on the shaft and hold the shaft.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Yes I found this thread and it discusses a couple of other Harbor Freight tools that may get it done, and an electric impact gun.

For better or worse, I did this and it worked perfectly. It only took a couple of minutes to torque the nuts and have a sound free front end again.

Did I take the harder, longer way?? I dunno?? But, this was the path I took. It worked. It ain't pretty. :tsk: I have no shame :ninja:

Well maybe a little. :doh:
I feel so bad for you lol. We were all there for this suspension work.

OP
OP

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Prem, 6spdMT, Shadow Black
:ford:

Added a Classic Design Concepts Outlaw spoiler, and snapped this pic in the late fall almost winter before putting her away- for a long winters nap LOL

picture.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Selling my never installed GT350 Intake Manifold and Blowfish TBA2 adapter. Never installed- going a different direction... new parts in bound so, they figured they could use a new home.

GT350 Intake Manifold and BlowFish adapter

I’m going to throw some cash into more suspension, wheels, and tires as I’m really wanting to go back to SCCA Solo II/Autocross. That’s where the fun is at :-)

I was really tempted to trade it in on a BMW M4 the other day- a gorgeous charcoal grey 2015 manual with low miles in Cincinnati. Thankfully, I had some downtime to really think about it, and, eh... no. Keeping the Mustang.

OP
OP

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)