Sponsored

Is it normal for a 2017 Mustang PP to have squealing brakes at 7,500 miles?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Huh, is it easy to swap out the brake pads? My past experience have been F-Body cars and a Tahoe.
Usually a pretty straight forward and easy job. Remove wheel, remove 2 bolts, pop out old pads, compress brake pistons via rental tool or ye-old C-Clamp and 2x4 method*, and pop in new ones (and any retaining/slider pins that come with them)

*On some cars, the pistons screw in instead of press in.
Sponsored

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
It's ridiculously easy, Brembo calipers are designed to do a pad swap track side in a few minutes. You don't even have to remove the calipers; the pads come out through the "side"... There's plenty of videos on YouTube. The only tricky part is getting all 3 pistons on each side of the caliper depressed enough to get the new pads in. Each time you press one in, the other two pop out. The best trick i've found is slightly pulling out the old pad, then using it as a kind of prybar. Leave it sideways running along all three pistons, and pull or press the edge of the pad sticking out. The pad material pushes against the rotor so no worries there, and the backing plate of the brake pad pushes in all three pistons together.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Usually a pretty straight forward and easy job. Remove wheel, remove 2 bolts, pop out old pads, compress brake pistons via rental tool or ye-old C-Clamp and 2x4 method*, and pop in new ones (and any retaining/slider pins that come with them)

*On some cars, the pistons screw in instead of press in.

You don't have to remove the bolts and calipers, or use a piston compressor tool, on the brembos. The pads come out with the calipers still in position. Great and easy design. The back ones though are still sliding calipers so you'd have to do this on the rear.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Give it time. All PP cars do it in the 8k-12k
mile range. I'm at 23k miles and the banshee squeal is long gone.

Sponsored

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Even after a good bedding, the brembos will start to squeal again after some time. The only way to avoid it is swapping pads as the stock semi-metallics are great for performance but are noisy and dust a lot. For street driving, most people compromise and get different pads. Still great performance, but not as much noise and virtually no dust from carbon ceramics. I got the Powerstop Z23s, they've been great.
I've got a 2015 PP as well, and I've been having the Brembo's squeal off and on since I got it last fall. This is one of my major pet peeves, so I need to figure out something. It sounds like re-bedding them might work for a bit (assuming they were bedded in properly to start with), but that it's really a losing battle with the Brembo's? I'm a daily driver, so I'd rather give up a little performance to get rid of the squeaks if it's possible.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
because, race car

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
7k miles, no squeaks. I've got the Brembos.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
7k miles, no squeaks. I've got the Brembos.
That's promising. Maybe I just need to try the rebedding to see what that does. It seems absurd that some are saying that this is just something you have to deal with on brakes like this. I hope that's not the case anyway.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That's promising. Maybe I just need to try the rebedding to see what that does. It seems absurd that some are saying that this is just something you have to deal with on brakes like this. I hope that's not the case anyway.
A lot of high performance brakes + pads make noise. Getting performance grade pads to be quiet without sacrificing the performance part is hard. I'm hoping mine don't squeal with a few miles, but so far so good. I've even removed the calipers when I did my springs so the bed must be good on these. Typically, it would say in the manual if you need to bed the brakes if you have the Brembos, but a lot of manufacturers design these cars to where it's not needed.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Mine squeal just a little on soft stops when they are cold . 100% normal.

If I hard brake and heat them the next soft brake is quiet .

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
>When coasting to a stop sign, i apply gradual pressure to the brake (not hard braking) as I get closer to it and this morning I notice that the brakes squeal.

If this is bothering you; Brake harder almost right away, towards the threshold of slipping, and then decrease firmness as you slow down. Not soft -> hard -> soft like a grandma going to church. Its less comfortable but you won't glaze your brakes over and they will squeak less. Also don't drag your brakes real slow up to a light.

It's called degressive braking:

[ame]

At about 4 min 30 seconds he talks about a driver causing the car to "take a set". He's talking about a driver that brakes soft to first to "set" the suspension, then hard, then soft again as it stops. Don't do that! While this is a smooth way to brake, it's not the fast way to brake. If you want performance brakes to not squeak as much and not glaze, don't drive like grandpa. Porsche even recently basically told customers "either get over that our brakes squeak or brake harder".

Last edited:

Whitemustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White mustang G.T. 2016
Had the worst brake squealing for whatever reason at 12k miles. Replaced with carbon ceramic and can not hear a peep out of them. go with powerstop they are great and easy to install

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
I'd do a couple of hard stops from highway speed to around 10 on a back road, bet that fixes it.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
>When coasting to a stop sign, i apply gradual pressure to the brake (not hard braking) as I get closer to it and this morning I notice that the brakes squeal.

If this is bothering you; Brake harder almost right away, towards the threshold of slipping, and then decrease firmness as you slow down. Not soft -> hard -> soft like a grandma going to church. Its less comfortable but you won't glaze your brakes over and they will squeak less. Also don't drag your brakes real slow up to a light.

It's called degressive braking:

At about 4 min 30 seconds he talks about a driver causing the car to "take a set". He's talking about a driver that brakes soft to first to "set" the suspension, then hard, then soft again as it stops. Don't do that! While this is a smooth way to brake, it's not the fast way to brake. If you want performance brakes to not squeak as much and not glaze, don't drive like grandpa. Porsche even recently basically told customers "either get over that our brakes squeak or brake harder".
I hate to admit it, but I'm probably part of the problem. I've been driving regular boring cars for over 20 years, and most of my driving is in traffic. Lots of smooth gradual braking. I'll try to drive less like a grandpa!
Sponsored