Sponsored

Has anyone had a loud exhaust ticket?

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
When I received my car back in April 2016 I had the resonators off in the first week. Fast forward 2 years and 25000 miles and its gotten considerably louder. I was not really aware of it until I went on a drive with about 6 other newer gt350s two of which are R models. Drivers and bystanders alike all noticed that mine was the loudest in the group ... described as ear splitting by the other gt350 drivers around me. I can only guess that the exhaust baffling material has cooked off to cause this? In the loud mode we are still using some muffler I would think? Our provincial legal exhaust limit for cars in the province of British Columbia is a low 84 dB ( I can fart louder on burrito night). The police can issue a ticket on sound alone without using a dB meter so I'm forever hitting the quiet switch when I see them. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this as well. Thanks.
Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
My non R seemed to suddenly get louder at 600 miles or so.....with resonators still on.
So ya, I think the exhaust may need to break in sort of speak ?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A question with merit indeed. Does the GT350 (for example) exhaust system suffer from measurable degradation over time/use such that there is a noticeable increase in decibal limit?

David from Borla probably has insight on this.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
my personal experience has been yes once: the bike cop was writing a ticket to a driver, I drove past slowly 25mph in sport exhaust, he quickly got on his bike and chased me down

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I live in the sticks, whenever I’m going through any town, city, I hit the quiet mode to avoid any excuse to be pulled over...I haven’t been ticketed for this.
Interesting yours seems to be getting louder [MENTION=22444]smsgt350[/MENTION]. Is it louder even in quiet mode?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I had someone that bitched about my 98 Cobra (o/r h-pipe and flows) and have been pulled over in it but never got a ticket. I haven't put my decibel meter on either car but I plan to but I can tell you at idle, the Cobra is louder. The only time I hit quiet mode is when I'm coming home late and don't want to wake the kiddo up (or the wife).

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Can you be ticketed if the car is still stock?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Of course its subjective, so cops hope you don't show up in court. Virginia is the worse for car fans. There is a law against change out stock. I always stay aware of where I am. When I do pass cops who have someone pulled over, I give it a punch. They do look up like a dog in heat. A couple of times admiration was shown. I can see it in the rearview.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Can you be ticketed if the car is still stock?
Yes. Technically, the disclaimer for "Track Use Only" very much means that. I mean obviously do whatever you want. It's there so Ford can't get digned by anyone for having a loud exhaust. However what really gets me is that if you're over 33% throttle (or whatever it is) the valves fly open. :shrug:

This is how manufacturers get around noise limits.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
For track only? Like the tech pack? I spent a year, until I changed my transmission, being told my tech pack was for the street only. Can I even have a track only track mode and open exhaust if my car is not track worthy?

A lot of tracks are starting to get pretty serious noise requirements on them, and you'll have to know how loud the car is. The street complaint sounds more like "son, your taillight is out" to me or is subjective enough to fight. I got kicked out of a 99db/82db at fence track night recently with a Borla Ford Performance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have ford performance exhaust which is louder than stock R. I always use it in sport mode and yes it has gotten considerably louder after 15,000 miles on the exhaust (car has 22,000 miles). No tickets here and the other day I asked my wife to rev it to 2,000 by blipping the throttle when idle with me standing back, and I was amazed how loud the car is. You can now hear the car half a mile away:)

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There are a few perks to living in Indiana. I can say I havent heard of anyone being pulled over or ticketed for this.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I live in the sticks, whenever I’m going through any town, city, I hit the quiet mode to avoid any excuse to be pulled over...I haven’t been ticketed for this.
Interesting yours seems to be getting louder [MENTION=22444]smsgt350[/MENTION]. Is it louder even in quiet mode?
I haven't noticed any difference on the quiet mode setting since new but rather a huge jump in volume on the loud setting. Up till now I've always just driven in sport mode however I went in a tunnel the other day with the windows open and got a little taste of what people around me were getting and it actually hurt.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I have Corsa Extremes and never had an issue.

I got one on my LS2 GTO with longtubes and Corsa Sports but I was really getting on it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Enjoy it while you can. The hum of an electronic motor looms large.
Sponsored