Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I would like to vent the stock BPV to atmosphere or install a BOV or even a BOV adapter such as the Boomba Racing's one on my European Mustang EcoBoost. I am mainly interested in this aggressive VTA sound (wooshhhhh). However:

It seems that European cars have a MAF sensor instead of a MAP one. Is it a good idea to vent the stock BPV to atmosphere or install a BOV? I know that on a MAF sensor equipped car, the ECU thinks that it has a specific amount of air in the intake system and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blow-off valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a while. This seems to lead to engine stalling and also I have read elsewhere that it will lead to engine damage in the long term (spark plugs, catalytic converter, etc).

I want this aggressive Vent-to-Atmosphere (VTA) blow-off sound and throttle responsiveness, but is Venting-to-Atmosphere (either by venting the stock BPV to atmosphere or installing a BOV or even using a BOV adapter like Boomba Racing one) good for my MAF sensor equipped European Mustang?

Also, assuming that VTA is possible in any way described above without side effects on an EU-spec EcoBoost, is a tune required after installing a BOV or BOV adapter?

EDIT:

I am editing my post because I cannot delete it and I think that this is interesting information for owners of the European Mustang EcoBoost.

I just found out that European Mustangs are NOT equipped with a MAF sensor but with a MAP one, just like the American ones. I went down to my garage and with the help of a good friend of mine in another country (he was guiding me through photos exchanged over Messenger) we confirmed that there is no MAF sensor to be found on our EU-spec cars. I also confirmed that with our Mustang guy here in Europe (thank you [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION]!) :thumbsup:

It seems that there is a thread where someone falsely claimed that EU cars are MAF and everyone ever since (including myself) went with it. So it seems that we Europeans are also in the game for some wooshhhh wooshhhhh sound! :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited:

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Maybe the RHD Mustangs then? How hard is it to check?

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Reading your edit about the old BS post instantly brought to mind: #FakeNews hahaha

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
LOL, it's not fake news though. This is how it is.

Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
A little background on the MAP vs MAF thing:

The software inside the ECU uses a model of airflow that is based on measured pressures from several different sensors, including a manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP). This system is very complex to account for the variable valve timing (basically volumetric efficiency tables to account for different VVT settings).

Even in MAP based systems, sometimes a mass airflow sensor (MAF) is used to "check" the modeled airflow, or is used for diagnostics (to help set a check engine light if something is wrong, as part of the On Board Diagnostics II system). California (basically all of US) markets have the strictest OBD II regulations.

If it doesn't have a MAF sensor in the US it's not likely to have one in any other market, because EU regulations are not as strict for OBD. These designs are driven by regulation. So for example, vehicles sold in the United Arab Emirates (UAE, places like Dubai) tend to have cheaper cats with less precious metal due to their less strict emissions standards.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13785]arghx7[/MENTION] Thanks for the info. So this verifies my edited post above: EU Mustang are also MAP tuned.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the Boomba Racing BOV Adapter. In combination with my MBRPs it gives an aggressive sound. Man it's fun to hear! One good thing is that on automatic cars, like mine, you don't get to hear this whooosh sound every time you change a gear; you hear it only when you let off the throttle and at relatively high revs. So it's even better!

What is important to mention is that there was a debate over whether this adapter should be installed on European cars. Most people were thinking that our cars were MAF tuned so we could not Vent to Air (VTA). Before installing the BOV Adapter I confirmed with several people that EU Mustangs are actually MAP tuned (confirmed with Adam at [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] on another thread). So we can VTA and there are no engine lights or other issues whatsoever.

It took me 45 minutes to install, taking my time. It would take just 10 minutes if it wasn't for this freakin' hard-to-access top right bolt. I used an angled Allen (as shown on one of the photos below) to unscrew that particular bolt in order to remove the stock BPV. I used the same Allen in order to screw this same bolt when I put BPV + BOV Adapter back on. If you do it, take your time, it takes a while to tighten the bolt because of very limited space at that particular spot.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

And the angled Allen that I used:

picture.jpg

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I know. I just didn't want a chair leg rubber tip on the engine of my Mustang! I prefer the look of a nice shinny red aluminum part to do the job for my beloved S550. And it looks cool ;)

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I know. I just didn't want a chair leg rubber tip on the engine of my Mustang! I prefer the look of a nice shinny red aluminum part to do the job for my beloved S550. And it looks cool ;)
It's just another piece of rubber in the engine bay. :lol:

But myself along with a few others have been running with this method for a year or more now. No issues.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my stock plastic BPV with a turbosmart compact. Vacuum controlled.
Decided to go VTA, did the chairleg mod, then added a breather filter just for looks.

36196664340_7e4e11baee_k.jpg
20170815_154102 by chefjpd, on Flickr

35757850194_a965aebc21_k.jpg
20170815_154013 by chefjpd, on Flickr

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Nice!

You know folks, the issue here was that most (if not all) in this forum thought that European cars were not supposed to be able to Vent to Atmosphere, because the general belief was that they were MAF tuned. At least now we know that they are MAP tuned and that they can VTA with no issues!

In terms of what I did in order to be able to VTA, well, I suppose I had a few extra bucks to spend for a nice piece of red aluminum! :headbonk:

My only problem now is that I wanted to install a DV+ BPV upgrade from Tune+, but there is no space, everything is so tight...

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I replaced my stock plastic BPV with a turbosmart compact. Vacuum controlled.
Decided to go VTA, did the chairleg mod, then added a breather filter just for looks.
What size is the breather filter? Is the turbosmart hole the same size as stock? a little over an inch in diameter?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
What size is the breather filter? Is the turbosmart hole the same size as stock? a little over an inch in diameter?
The filter is a 1" ID Airaid breather. Fit like a charm, and yes, the TS pipe is the same as stock.
Amazon and eBay have a bunch of them.
Mine is an Airaid 770-141.
Sponsored

Last edited: