Sponsored

tweeters that fit under stock grille??

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Has anyone found a drop-in replacement tweeter that will fit under the OEM grille yet? I am starting to look into replacing the fronts, but want to stay as stealth as possible with the install, and like that the OEM grilles match the door panels as well.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Any 3/4" tweeter will fit.
a few 1" will fit as well, I ended up with a 1" that surface mounted in the hole.
34926061674_88ddbfc5df_k.jpg
20170124_121226 by chefjpd, on Flickr

OP
OP

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
This is what i'm trying to avoid if at all possible. While it doesn't look bad, I would prefer as stealth as possible for the setup, and utilizing the stock grille would look the best to me. Finding a surface mount tweeter without a logo that appears it would fit in the stock location doesn't seem like it's in the cards unless I stumble across something I've missed up to this point. Focal TiS 1.5's seem to have the proper mounting ideas, but are just a slight bit too wide.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No way a 1.5 is going to fit.
The stock tweeter is .75" and any aftermarket 3/4" will fit under the stock grill.

OP
OP

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Well...one would think that, but the Focal is an inverted dome tweeter and packaged in a size that comes in closer to a 3/4" dome than a 1" dome. For example, below are the flush mount frame diameters for 3 different models.

JL C1-075ct: 1.675"
Kicker 44KST2004: 1.943"
Focal TiS 1.5: 1.674"

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take off the pillar cover and see what you are dealing with. Numbers are good, but you need to see the mount.
The stock tweeter is spaced back from the grill, and it is possible that you can fabricate a mount to get the bigger tweeter to fit.
ALso, choose your tweeter wisely; some tend to be overly harsh and will drill a hole through your brain if it is mis matched.

OP
OP

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
That's actually what i'm afraid of, a lot of people have claimed the Focal's are a bit on the harsh side. It seems to be about the best mount to accomplish my goal aside from a Peerless that's available from Parts Express, but I would rather have a name brand soft dome, just can't find much that looks like it would fit properly without a lot of fabrication.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
Here's what I'm using;

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...stige-27tffnc/g-h1396-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

The stock tweeter is held in place with a plastic panel that is heat welded in 3 places to the a-pillar. I used a dremel to grind off the heat welds and the SEAS tweeter is held in with place behind the stock grill with hot glue. It sounds cheesy, but it is quite sturdy.
Does that tweeter come with a crossover (cap) or does the factory wiring harness already have a crossover built in?

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does that tweeter come with a crossover (cap) or does the factory wiring harness already have a crossover built in?
There is a cap built into the factory tweeter. You can probably remove it and re use it.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Like @Chef_jpd said, the factory tweeter uses a a cap, so you would either have to reuse that or be running an active crossover to use the SEAs tweeter.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hope this helps... here are a couple of shots of the bracket/tweeter combo that fits behind the factory grill. The three holes are where the heat welds connect the bracket to the a-pillar.

As noted, the bracket can hold a .75" tweeter, so its possible to find a replacement and pop it right into the the bracket. If that doesn't work, the best option would be to remove the bracket and mount the tweeter to the a-pillar using hot glue, a backing strap, etc...

25264689918_00bd1a3159_b.jpg

38421615854_e1503f426a_b.jpg

OP
OP

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hope this helps... here are a couple of shots of the bracket/tweeter combo that fits behind the factory grill. The three holes are where the heat welds connect the bracket to the a-pillar.
This actually helps a ton! Would you still happen to have that stock tweeter and bracket laying around to take a measurement of the width of the bracket vs the width of the tweeter? I definitely don't mind the idea of taking the bracket out as long as the OEM grille doesn't require it to mount to the pillar. It's still weird to me that even the tweeter you are running shows a 46mm width at the base, and 53mm width at the face, while the Focal 1.5" tweeter shows 42mm at the base and 47mm at the face when used in the same mount method. It could be slightly possible that this ends up being a direct drop-in when used without any of the mounting methods included.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
This actually helps a ton! Would you still happen to have that stock tweeter and bracket laying around to take a measurement of the width of the bracket vs the width of the tweeter? I definitely don't mind the idea of taking the bracket out as long as the OEM grille doesn't require it to mount to the pillar. It's still weird to me that even the tweeter you are running shows a 46mm width at the base, and 53mm width at the face, while the Focal 1.5" tweeter shows 42mm at the base and 47mm at the face when used in the same mount method. It could be slightly possible that this ends up being a direct drop-in when used without any of the mounting methods included.
The stock grill just pops in with some tabs and has no contact with the tweeter bracket. I wouldn't get too hung up on the dimensions because once you remove the bracket, you don't reuse it unless you want to go back to stock. In any case, I took the measurements below;

Lg opening the tweeter fits in: 1 3/4"
Sm opening the tweeter back sticks through: 1 3/8"
Sponsored