Sponsored

Help! Why will this axle NOT budge?

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
In the process of removing factory halfshafts. Car is on the lift and have a ton of leverage, d/s factory axle will not come out. Looks like it moved out maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch. Giant prybar from the bottom with no joy. Car only has 3k no rust/corrosion etc.

Whats the trick here????? Everyone else shows them sliding right out... not...
Sponsored

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Long half inch extension and a big hammer. Hit the base of the shaft and should come right out.

OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
when i wiggle the p/s axle still installed, you hear/feel just the slightest bit of give.. the d/s has zero
d/s has about an 1/8 in and out.. beat the hell out of it even a few good hammer whacks to the prybar, will not come out

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
d/s has about an 1/8 in and out.. beat the hell out of it even a few good hammer whacks to the prybar, will not come out
Use two prybars at ~ 3 and 9 oclock at the same time and pry outboard, should snap out quite easily.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
Use two prybars at ~ 3 and 9 oclock at the same time and pry outboard, should snap out quite easily.
prybars from all angles, still just comes out 1/8 thats it:frusty:

OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto

Bkingnorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Mine wouldn’t come out either. I had to use my angled 3’ prybar and smack it with a hammer.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
Just went to AutoZone and rented a slide hammer and Axle Fork let's see if this does the trick. One of the seals I know I pushed in the outside of it I'm not sure that outside part is very critical am I able to just put in the new axle? Those seals aren't something I can just run out to the auto parts store and get from what I looked up it would take at least a few days and I need to get it moved off the lift tomorrow

OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
well looks like the even force of the hammer did it... the outer part of the seal is partially flattened though, still curious does the inner ribbed portion do most of the sealing? I cant wait 4-5 days to get one on hand, car needs to move

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
If any part of the flat portion of the seal is no longer flat it will probably leak. the inner part of the seal is what does the sealing, but when the outer areas get distorted it causes the inner portion to distort.

OP
OP

Glockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Auto
The passenger side seal is fine since I used the slide hammer on that axle. The driver side the inner rib portion of the seal that the axle rides against is okay, just the outer part that kind of surrounds the edge is flattened down from all the pry bar use. Took it for about a 10 mile drive and got it up to temperature put it back on the lift and no leaking noted. We'll take it out on the highway and see how it does after about an hour drive at highway speed

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
In that case just keep an eye on it. I've installed hundreds of seals over the years and it all comes down to whether the outer damage affects the inner portion which must be perfectly round. Any damage to the outer area like a dent causes the inner portion to pull away from the sealing surface. If it hasn't leaked yet it's definitely safe to just keep an eye on it over the next week, then forget about it if it stays dry.
Sponsored