Sponsored

Help with resonance/noise after diff switch

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
Hi all,

Recently I swapped my 3.15 diff for a 3.55. At the same time i put on the steeda subrfame bushing kit and red diff inserts.

At the drive noticed a strong resonance exaclty at 30mph. It was present only on slight or strong acceleration.

The shop changed the motorcraft diff oil for a bardhal and the resonance got 50% better.

Got to a road race track for some hours and coming to home the resonance get even worse and present up to 60mph. Raising the speed it becomes more acute. I searched on youtube something and I can say it is not a exactly a gear whine, but behind the reconance there is something “metallic”.

Help me!! :frusty:
Sponsored

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi all,

Recently I swapped my 3.15 diff for a 3.55. At the same time i put on the steeda subrfame bushing kit and red diff inserts.

At the drive noticed a strong resonance exaclty at 30mph. It was present only on slight or strong acceleration.

The shop changed the motorcraft diff oil for a bardhal and the resonance got 50% better.

Got to a road race track for some hours and coming to home the resonance get even worse and present up to 60mph. Raising the speed it becomes more acute. I searched on youtube something and I can say it is not a exactly a gear whine, but behind the reconance there is something “metallic”.

Help me!! :frusty:
Is the diff you installed new or used ? Let's assume that the diff is in good working condition then what you are describing sounds like you are getting NVH from those red diff inserts, take those out and your problem will be solved. Remember anytime you put those subframe bushing kits in you are essentially solid mounting everything and it will transmit diff noise, but the diff bushings will transfer more.

OP
OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
The diff is the ford racing loaded with 3.55. Brand new and it has now less than 10k miles.

What sounds me strange is that an oil changes the resonance and few hours on track made it permanently worse.

I had set an appointment to get out these bushings but to do this I’ll need a full subframe realignment and I hope the driveline vibe will not come back again.

But the new noise after the track doesnt sound so much like a resonance. Ah, forgot to mention. Togheter with diff i swapped the halfshafts with the gt350 ones.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Take out the diff bushing inserts. Try BG 75W140 diff oil from [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION], opmustang.com

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not sure what you have going on with that vibration but you changed a lot of things at once. I have all the parts in my sig and the car has no vibration or noise it drives as smooth as the day I bought it. You may want to look over your install maybe there is a visible sign of a problem like an axle nut loose, or driveshaft not tight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zanGTA

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
Take out the diff bushing inserts. Try BG 75W140 diff oil from [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION], opmustang.com
Do you recommend any additive or I can go straight with that oil? Actually the shop added something to the oil.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Do you recommend any additive or I can go straight with that oil? Actually the shop added something to the oil.
They probably added friction modifier which clutch pack limited slips need. But if you bought a Torsen diff it doesn't need it. I have the BG 75W-140 oil in my Torsen and it works well.

I'm assuming you know whether you bought a Torsen diff or a regular clutch pack one?

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
It’s the diff bushings... I have the same NVH after I installed mine.
Sponsored