Sponsored

If you are upgrading from Gen 2 Whipple to Gen 3 - Read this

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I initially thought I'd be able to simply unbolt the Gen 2 head unit and swap it. Unfortunately, it appears due to many heat cycles, my front accessory plate had shifted enough to prevent the new head unit from seating square so all bolts would go in.

I ended up removing the serpentine belt, removing the idlers and tensioner then loosening up all the accessory plate bolts. After I did this, I was able to get the new head unit seated, bolted.

Initially I didn't realize what was causing it not to sit square so tried reseating the head unit multiple times until taking a picture of the rear bolt holes and noticed they were offset to the right due to the front accessory plate attachment to the blower.

Was a 3 hour job only because I had to keep reseating the blower by myself. Between that and dropping one of my water pump bolts into the under panning, I lost an hour of time.

Car feels stronger in the upper rpms above 4500.

Tony
whipple_bolt_offset.jpg
Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
When did you get your kit to begin with ? Some of the original stands were slightly off causing the exact symptoms you describe. Call whipple with your old blower serial number to verify you have the updated stands on the idler/ pulley bracket.

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When did you get your kit to begin with ? Some of the original stands were slightly off causing the exact symptoms you describe. Call whipple with your old blower serial number to verify you have the updated stands on the idler/ pulley bracket.
I bought my original kit in March 2016. Doesn't really matter at this point. I got it all back together, everything is aligned and works fine.

Tony

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No discernible difference between Gen2 and Gen3 in the lower rpms?

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No discernible difference between Gen2 and Gen3 in the lower rpms?
I couldn't feel much of a difference in lower rpms but that means nothing. Frankly, it only counts in the upper rpms anyway once you get out of 1st gear.

It definitely pulls hard above 4500. It reminds me of my cobra engine swapped mach 1 that was putting down around 650rwtq to the tire. It's got ballz!

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was considering the update,after a few went before me but when it comes to power
these cars dont do much below 5000 with or without a blower
IMO. Hopefully you have some power figures,before and after
My other thought was to leave my blower alone and add a fuel system
and injectors and have it retuned for e85 or both :)

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I bought my original kit in March 2016. Doesn't really matter at this point. I got it all back together, everything is aligned and works fine.

Tony
I believe it does matter as far as your belt alignment is concerned. If you are at moderate boost you're fine. If you're leaning on it you will have some issues.

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe it does matter as far as your belt alignment is concerned. If you are at moderate boost you're fine. If you're leaning on it you will have some issues.

Well, if it starts chewing through belts or throwing them, I'll look into it. Everything appears to be in order at this point.

Tony