Some comments after 2 weeks of owning an ‘18

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
- It’s very loud. I’m glad I went for the active exhaust, I don’t think I’d want the car without it.
- It’s fun. It makes travel an event. It’s not just A -> B, it’s fun.
- The fun tech, the digital dash, are all becoming the new normal for me quickly. Still glad I have it though.
- The car feels heavy, long, and a little ungainly when turning at low speed. Turns like doing a tight right in a parking lot, slowly. It’s not nimble, not with that stuff. I think the steering should scale (more?) with speed, and lighten up when you are slow like that.
- Big swooping curves on the highway feel awesome. So do ramps.
- it’s really hard to respect the engine break in procedure and stay under 4K rpms. I’m doing okay so far, but I want to make some noise.

Problems
- The little plastic panel that the USB socket in the armrest bin is mounted on is loose. It wiggles when one uses the USB socket. I’m tempted to glue it.
- Apple CarPlay is not reliable. About 25% of the time when I plug in my iPhone CarPlay does not start. The fix is to power ycle the car. Happens with either USB port, and with different wires. It’s the car.
- My windshield washer sprayer needed repair on day one (though I just took it in yesterday). It just sputtered and dribbled. They are replaying the hose. Looks like it had water in it from the factory and it froze in that big chill in late December. Bad QC to let it out of the factory with water in it, but not a huge issue.

Overall I’m quite happy.
Sponsored

GT6555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2, Lightning Blue
Magneride or PP equipped?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I use the 'comfort' steering mode in parking lots...yours should have that option also.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....it’s really hard to respect the engine break in procedure and stay under 4K rpms. I’m doing okay so far, but I want to make some noise.....
Who told you to "stay under 4K rpms"????

That's a bunch of bullshit. Get on it, take it to the red-line here and there. Beat on that engine. You need to do that to break it in properly.

Jesus, I weep for the youth of this world.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Don't baby the engine.

Do:
Take it to redline occasionally
Go WOT occasionally
Engine brake often
Vary speed as much as possible

Don't:
Do a track day in the first 1000 miles (autocross like posted above wouldn't be too bad, as it's not extended high loads, but extremely variable load and speed).

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR

That's a bunch of bullshit. Get on it, take it to the red-line here and there. Beat on that engine. You need to do that to break it in properly.

I was wondering the same thing. There's nothing in the manual about it. All I remember reading is not to let it run at constant RPMs for long until 1k miles.

I hit 7k on mine a few times and it's fine lol.

I've personally also found the steering and handling at low speeds to be totally fine. Yes, the steering takes effort but I like it. Going back to my F150 feels like the steering wheel is a child's play thing.

Here's what the manual says:

Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Here's what the manual says:

Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.
The 1950s called, and they want their engine break-in procedures back.:lol::lol:

The manual doesn't even get it right. You want to take it through the rev-range.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
The 1950s called, and they want their engine break-in procedures back.:lol::lol:

The manual doesn't even get it right. You want to take it through the rev-range.
Agreed, but at least it doesn't say 4k...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And for god friggin' sake,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

bed your brakes in so you can spare yourself the embarrassment from another ZOMG MY BRAKES ARE SO NOISY! FORD, MY DEALERSHIP, NORTH KOREA, RUSSIAN HOOKERS, MOTHER THERESA, AND JENNA JAMESON SUCK DICK! thread.

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

bed your brakes in so you can spare yourself the embarrassment...
Haha!

Confession time - I proudly squeal to a stop almost everywhere on the street.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Haha!

Confession time - I proudly squeal to a stop almost everywhere on the street.
Squealer on every street...lulz.

Just in case you haven't noticed yet, I'm taking everything that is said today in a very perverted manner. At this rate and especially these days, I'm gonna be on the front page of CNN with a secktual hairyment case against me.

Probably because I made a dirty comment to some chick named Shelby...unfortunately the prosecutors forgot to check her DNA. Apparently it came back as engine oil. :doh:

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I broke in the engine on my Boss. I was not sure if it was a must do, or old wives tale, but decided to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. Got the oil changed at about a 1000 too, just for the heck of it. My Boss uses next to no oil, and I have heard horror stories about Boss Mustangs using a lot of oil.....

Deleted member 33561

I've got 800 miles on mine and 5K is the highest rpm so far. I'm going out tomorrow and hit the red line once. (or twice)
I did pull the "blowfish" tube off yesterday. I do love the active exhaust. For me it's perfect. I want to put an H pipe on but I'm afraid I will not like the sound afterwards.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

On the way home from pickup i warmed up the oil and kept rpms up and then did 6 or 7 wot pulls in 4th to the limiter and let it deccel. drove for 15 mins let it cool down.. drove on my driveway on ramps changed the oil. Later that night i went out and did about 6/7 wot pulls again.. and cooldown cruise in between. repeated it about 5 times. went home changed the oil. And then i did it again. Brand new. Its my daily driver, through winter. it sees wot and the limiter (almost?) every day/drive. 62k on it now never skipped a beat. Im proud that I know my internals, the piston heads, valves and chambers are clean as can be and shes probably broken in now :D .
Sponsored