Sponsored

Some comments after 2 weeks of owning an ‘18

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
- It’s very loud. I’m glad I went for the active exhaust, I don’t think I’d want the car without it.
- It’s fun. It makes travel an event. It’s not just A -> B, it’s fun.
- The fun tech, the digital dash, are all becoming the new normal for me quickly. Still glad I have it though.
- The car feels heavy, long, and a little ungainly when turning at low speed. Turns like doing a tight right in a parking lot, slowly. It’s not nimble, not with that stuff. I think the steering should scale (more?) with speed, and lighten up when you are slow like that.
- Big swooping curves on the highway feel awesome. So do ramps.
- it’s really hard to respect the engine break in procedure and stay under 4K rpms. I’m doing okay so far, but I want to make some noise.

Problems
- The little plastic panel that the USB socket in the armrest bin is mounted on is loose. It wiggles when one uses the USB socket. I’m tempted to glue it.
- Apple CarPlay is not reliable. About 25% of the time when I plug in my iPhone CarPlay does not start. The fix is to power ycle the car. Happens with either USB port, and with different wires. It’s the car.
- My windshield washer sprayer needed repair on day one (though I just took it in yesterday). It just sputtered and dribbled. They are replaying the hose. Looks like it had water in it from the factory and it froze in that big chill in late December. Bad QC to let it out of the factory with water in it, but not a huge issue.

Overall I’m quite happy.
OP have you experience this slight whining noise when reving the engine while parked or when starting off from a stop? Say shifting from 1-3 and this would happen between 1400 to 2000 rpm?
Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The wiper fluid issue is becoming common across a few Ford models. Lots of Taurus owners report having to have the wiper fluid motor replaced and/or hosing.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 800 miles on mine and 5K is the highest rpm so far. I'm going out tomorrow and hit the red line once. (or twice)
I did pull the "blowfish" tube off yesterday. I do love the active exhaust. For me it's perfect. I want to put an H pipe on but I'm afraid I will not like the sound afterwards.
Stock: [ame]

H Pipe: [ame]

X Pipe: [ame]

OP
OP
Jaggy

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
> OP have you experience this slight whining noise when reving the engine while parked or when starting off from a stop? Say shifting from 1-3 and this would happen between 1400 to 2000 rpm?

No, nothing like that, though the noise from the seat cooling briefly confused me when I got in the car and forgot the seats were on.

Re: wiper fluid issue. I took it to the dealer and they replaced all the hose to the sprayers. At delivery it looked like water, not wiper fluid coming out. My car was built just before Christmas and transported during the deep freeze we had in late dec/early Jan. I suspect there was water in that hose and it froze, expanded, and caused a minor leak depriving the system of pressure.

The dealer also fixed the loose USB port in the storage bin.

So, one new issue I have with the car. I HATE how obnoxiously loud the back up sensor is and I find it very surprising that there’s no way to adjust its volume. It’s a good feature in a car, but Ford has found a way to make it unpleasant. Is there any hidden sync3 service mode where we can balance levels?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I used to be back and forth on the best break-in procedure but on my next Mustang I'll be breaking it in by keeping under 4k RPMs. It might be fine not to but after watching this video, there's companies that spend a lot of money breaking in engines the gentle way, so clearly it must have it's advantages (skip to 2:15 to see what I'm talking about):

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I used to be back and forth on the best break-in procedure but on my next Mustang I'll be breaking it in by keeping under 4k RPMs. It might be fine not to but after watching this video, there's companies that spend a lot of money breaking in engines the gentle way, so clearly it must have it's advantages (skip to 2:15 to see what I'm talking about):
Eh. Modern factory oils provide the needed protection during break in. There is rarely a benefit to keeping it under 4k rpm. Anyway, load is more important than engine speed.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Eh. Modern factory oils provide the needed protection during break in. There is rarely a benefit to keeping it under 4k rpm. Anyway, load is more important than engine speed.
Then why do you think all these sports car manufacturers spend tons of money breaking in engines gently if it makes no difference?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Then why do you think all these sports car manufacturers spend tons of money breaking in engines gently if it makes no difference?
Like whom?

Do Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren break in the engines on dynos?

According to the videos of seen of the plants in Stuttgart, Britain, etc., I've never seen that.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Like whom?

Do Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren break in the engines on dynos?

According to the videos of seen of the plants in Stuttgart, Britain, etc., I've never seen that.
Like was shown in the video I posted above, Nissan does it for the GT-R, Acura does it for the NSX. Lamborghini does break-in at the factory as well, I’m not sure about the others but I believe they do too.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Proper break in on any engine is always a good idea. All the ''drive it like you stole it'' comments I've seen over the years are just bad advice.

Sponsored

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like was shown in the video I posted above, Nissan does it for the GT-R, Acura does it for the NSX. Lamborghini does break-in at the factory as well, I’m not sure about the others but I believe they do too.
Those are very expensive, hand built, high tolerance engines. Their specific power output & internal tolerances make the Coyote look like a tractor engine.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Those are very expensive, hand built, high tolerance engines. Their specific power output & internal tolerances make the Coyote look like a tractor engine.
My main point is that there’s validity to the gentle break in procedure. And that when manufacturers give recommendations, it might actually still carry some weight. Ford won’t say “don’t go over 4k” because of the safety implications of higher rpms possibly being needed in an emergency. But them saying “don’t drive too fast and change up early” in the owners manual to me sounds pretty against redline runs off the showroom floor.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Totally, I just don't think a mass produced car vs a GTR is an apples to apples comparison. I've never torn down an engine I've broken in (perhaps that means I'm doing something right?) but I tend to be in the vary the RPMs and no really heavy load (due to heat build up) camp. I don't see a huge problem with the occasional redline runs, but keep it to a minimum.

The Stingray is interesting, the ECU actually enforces a break in period with a lower redline.

OP
OP
Jaggy

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
Downside if you drive it hard and you were wrong about that being okay:reduced engine power, potential long term reliability issues..

Dowwnside if you break it in softly and it was actually unessissary: a little delayed gratification.

Seems an easy choice to me.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
My main point is that there’s validity to the gentle break in procedure. And that when manufacturers give recommendations, it might actually still carry some weight. Ford won’t say “don’t go over 4k” because of the safety implications of higher rpms possibly being needed in an emergency. But them saying “don’t drive too fast and change up early” in the owners manual to me sounds pretty against redline runs off the showroom floor.
I work for an automotive manufacturer. Much of what is in the manual was written by lawyers. Ford doesn’t say don’t go over 4k rpm because it isn’t important to break in. As stated before, engine speed means little compared to load. Bogging an engine at 2k will hurt much more than going to 6k.
Sponsored