Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
So now we don't care about the performance of the Mustang against the Camaro because it's still losing? Make up your mind guys. At first it was "well it wasn't a fair comparison" to "it doesn't even matter really as long as they sell better...". Starting to sound like Camaro6 and their excuses.

I don't even know why people get so caught up in these comparisons anyways. While people are worried about being faster than some other guy online I just jump in my car and push the hell out of it around the mountains with a smile on my face and don't even think about what other car I could be in that would do it any better. I love my car to no end. It's by far the most fun car I have driven. These magazines aren't even worth reading while in the shitter in my opinion because that's what most of them are, opinion based journalism. If you don't have the same opinion of course you are going to be upset about it.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
So now we don't care about the performance of the Mustang against the Camaro because it's still losing? Make up your mind guys. At first it was "well it wasn't a fair comparison" to "it doesn't even matter really as long as they sell better...". Starting to sound like Camaro6 and their excuses.

I don't even know why people get so caught up in these comparisons anyways. While people are worried about being faster than some other guy online I just jump in my car and push the hell out of it around the mountains with a smile on my face and don't even think about what other car I could be in that would do it any better. I love my car to no end. It's by far the most fun car I have driven. These magazines aren't even worth reading while in the shitter in my opinion because that's what most of them are, opinion based journalism. If you don't have the same opinion of course you are going to be upset about it.
I'm a little confused by your post, but I think I might agree with it.

First you wonder why people might not care about the Mustang "losing" to the Camaro, but then your next paragraph starts with "I don't even know why people get so caught up in these comparisons anyways....I just jump in my car and push the hell out of it around the mountains with a smile on my face and don't even think about what other car I could be in that would do it any better. I love my car to no end. It's by far the most fun car I have driven."

Seems to me like you just answered your own question.

It's not a matter of making excuses, but rather getting a car for how it makes you feel when you drive, no matter what the lap times show. Both cars have compromises in certain areas, so you choose what is most important to you, and enjoy. There will always be something faster, so if you are after numbers only, you'll always be chasing the next best thing.

Of course it is nice to hear that the magazines agree with you and therefore validate your decision, but in the end it doesn't matter what others think as long as you are happy with the choice.

The Mustang may not be the fastest or most poised track car, but it does still do well out there, is fun to drive on the street, is comfortable, practical, etc. It's a fantastic overall choice.

My short list is: Camaro SS 1LE (1SS or 2SS), Mustang GT PP2, Corvette Grand Sport 2LT

My last 2 track cars were 2012 Mustang GT Brembo Brake Package + mods, and 2015 C7 Corvette Z51 - stock except for alignment pads and tires.

Buying a Grand Sport will feel like basically owning the same car I just sold (from the interior) with just a bit come grip. The 1LE has everything, except I don't like the interior/looks that much. The Mustang GT I like the looks/interior a lot, but it's disappointing that even on PP2 Ford left so much of the needed track HW out.

In the end, I'd say I'm leaning towards 1LE. When I see the discounts available from KOONS on it, it makes it very appealing.
All great choices. I really enjoyed driving the C7 at the Ron Fellows School. It is a great car. In the end I felt a little let down by the top end feel of the engine and was worried that without the extra seats for my kids I would not get to drive it much.

The GT350 solved both issues, and with the track pack it has the coolers required for worry free lapping sessions. I think it could be a great choice for what you are interested in, especially since low mileage used ones seem to be showing up. A set of lightweight wheels and r-comps, plus a camber kit would improve its already very good grip and balance. Probably would cost more than a new 1LE, but I imagine would hold its value better, so you'd make that up if you ever decided to get rid of it. It is also a great DD (except for poor fuel economy).

I think the PP2 will also be very good, but of course the tires will be a big part of that (the GT350 has less tire than the PP2). I agree that the lack of cooling is likely to cause headaches.

I really like the data recorder on the GM vehicles. I'd probably go for the 1LE over the C7 for the rear seats, but I'm not sure they are large enough for my kids. The Mustang is a perfect fit in that regard.

The C7 GS would be the fastest of all three (four, if you include the GT350), but I feel like it deserves a special engine to go along with the chassis improvements. Bring back the LS7 and that car would be just about perfect, IMO.

Good luck (and have fun) making the decision.

-T

Last edited:

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So now we don't care about the performance of the Mustang against the Camaro because it's still losing?
Not losing at all. The auto 2018 GTs are faster remember? Now you don't have to sacrifice ergonomics and visibility to be driving the faster car.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Not losing at all. The auto 2018 GTs are faster remember? Now you don't have to sacrifice ergonomics and visibility to be driving the faster car. ����
The whole point of a magnetic suspension is its active. It can be tuned to any number of parameters to meet the needs of intended driver driving an intended way. Yes the 18 in Auto is geared such that it’s probably faster than the Camaro during strait line acceleration. But the Mustang chassis is not as performant as it could be elsewhere and this doesn’t make as much sense because it’s got magnetic shocks.

Simply put, in track mode with an adaptive suspension there is no real reason for a soft tune suspension. Period. The fact remains that ford intentionally left food on the table which it comes to how this car performs getting into and out of a corner. Period. Doesn’t matter if it can be made better (which it can ). Why not make it the best it can be right from the factory. That’s what adaptive gives you. No need in adaptive if your gonna leave food on the table.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
That's reality. [email protected] bone stock for a 2018 GT auto. Only the top dog Camaro does better.
Motor Trend just tested the 18 GT M6 at 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. You mean to tell me the A10 shaves .8 seconds off the quarter?

:lol::lol::lol:

If there was an A8 SS at that same track/same day/same driver would of ran an extremely close time.

You cant just take a preped track time and compare it to publication tested times. They do not run a few runs in perfect DA and prep. They run on regular streets, 50 times to get their times.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Motor Trend just tested the 18 GT M6 at 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. You mean to tell me the A10 shaves .8 seconds off the quarter?

If there was an A8 SS at that same track/same day/same driver would of ran an extremely close time.

You cant just take a preped track time and compare it to publication tested times. They do not run a few runs in perfect DA and prep. They run on regular streets, 50 times to get their times.

Dude. The 2018 A10 GT does an 11.8. Get over it already.

Never saw anyone so hurt over nothing.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Would you guys take a base zl1 MSRP of $63795 for $5500 off before TTL? That's alot of performance for the money. The carbon build up in the LT4 is a legit problem though.
Sure do like that car. It's a great deal with that discount too.

But it's not going to be a GT500 class car. So I'd rather wait a year and get what I really want.

Reactions: 113

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Dude. The 2018 A10 GT does an 11.8. Get over it already.

Never saw anyone so hurt over nothing.
Wow... I mean.... One guy did a few runs on a preped track in crazy good DA and messed around with the tire pressure and not every 18 A10 is a 11.8 sec car :doh:.

Theres a few 11.3 C7 runs on the fast list where they did the same thing. Great DA and great track prepd. But no one goes around claiming C7s are 11.3 sec cars.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Would you guys take a base zl1 MSRP of $63795 for $5500 off before TTL? That's alot of performance for the money. The carbon build up in the LT4 is a legit problem though.
Im not taking anything Camaro. Til they fix the cabin ergonomics. Can’t stand driving a car I can’t see out of. Reason I sold my 11SS.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Wow... I mean.... One guy did a few runs on a preped track in crazy good DA and messed around with the tire pressure and not every 18 A10 is a 11.8 sec car :doh:.

Theres a few 11.3 C7 runs on the fast list where they did the same thing. Great DA and great track prepd. But no one goes around claiming C7s are 11.3 sec cars.
Bro. It's OK.

And fast lists are what they are. Guys claimIng their cars are stock and posting times. At least with the 11.8 run, there is some level of accountability.

In magazine runs, you have people of varying bias and allegiance doing to work. Are they really pushing the car? Etc. those are all legit questions.

But when you have tests with a track config. car vs a non track config. car and then quote the times posted by those running such a biased comparison, you're quoting it like gospel. Yet when the car is pushed with some accountability in the times, you act like someone stole something from you.

The 2018 Mustang does 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. It's a Mustang. It's really fast. And you're going to have to just be OK with that. The Camaro had its edge in the 90s. And again in the last couple years. But things change. It's the one constant in life.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT

maybe they should start doing what everyone else does to find out what their car runs...take it to a track. I mean if Motorweek can figure it out...

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Bro. It's OK.

And fast lists are what they are. Guys claimIng their cars are stock and posting times. At least with the 11.8 run, there is some level of accountability.

In magazine runs, you have people of varying bias and allegiance doing to work. Are they really pushing the car? Etc. those are all legit questions.

But when you have tests with a track config. car vs a non track config. car and then quote the times posted by those running such a biased comparison, you're quoting it like gospel. Yet when the car is pushed with some accountability in the times, you act like someone stole something from you.

The 2018 Mustang does 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. It's a Mustang. It's really fast. And you're going to have to just be OK with that. The Camaro had its edge in the 90s. And again in the last couple years. But things change. It's the one constant in life.
Where are all the other 11.8 times then? Who out there is duplicating this data? How is there not one non professional drivers out there running 11.8s??

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I really like the data recorder on the GM vehicles. I'd probably go for the 1LE over the C7 for the rear seats, but I'm not sure they are large enough for my kids.
Yes. I changed from Mustang to Corvette when my boys got big enough and no longer fit/wanted to ride on the back seat. They are now just starting college, so not a big issue. My daughter is 11 and will fit for short stints on either Mustang or Camaro - so that is why I am again considering a 2+2.

I'm sorry but GT350 is not an option for me. All the ones sold new around me are at or above MSRP, and there is no way I am doing that, when I can get great deals on Corvette Grand Sports and good deals on Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Car for me is a track appliance and toy, not a "collect and admire" object that should command extra $$$ for being "special or rare". I only track cars that are "very, very common". :)

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
Bro. It's OK.

We compare apples to oranges

The A10 will probably do 12.2-12.3s on the same surface MT did 12.6 with the manual

Most of the magazines are doing their tests on standard tarmac...It doesn't make sense to compare times not taking that into consideration
Sponsored