Sponsored

3.5 Door Speaker Upgrade Recommendation

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I have '18 GT 401a, so Shaker Pro 12 speaker system. I am aware of the limits of upgrading just the speakers due to ACM processing, etc. However I am just looking to improve the clarity of the mids/highs without having to dive into a long project involving amps, DSP, crossovers, timing, etc.

Wondering if anyone has upgraded their 3.5 door mids and had good results in improved sound quality. I'd also be interested in replacing the a-pillar tweeters if it made a significant difference.

I don't know if the '18 speakers are different, but I've read that the 3.5 mids and a-pillar tweeters are both 8 ohm. Do I need to use 8 ohm replacements?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
TONS of 8-ohm speakers that are good at PartsExpress.com and Madisound.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The center speaker in the dash made a huge difference in my car. I'd actually start there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TONS of 8-ohm speakers that are good at PartsExpress.com and Madisound.
If by tons you mean none, then I agree. Just looked - zero 8 ohm 3.5 mids on either site.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What speaker did you use?
Polk db351...It came highly recommended from others on the forum and they weren't wrong. Great speaker, it very noticeably cleaned up the front sound stage. I did have to dremel the bars on the speaker cover to clear the tweeter. If you have a PP car I believe you can under mount the speaker and be GTG.

It's sort of accepted that bang for the buck on cleaning up the sound for these cars goes in this order

1. Center speaker
2. Tweeters
3. Door speakers

I did tweeters shortly after and the gain was pretty minimal. Center speaker is where it is at!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If by tons you mean none, then I agree. Just looked - zero 8 ohm 3.5 mids on either site.
At the power level we are talking about 4ohm will be fine. Many have done it with no issues.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the power level we are talking about 4ohm will be fine. Many have done it with no issues.
Good to know - thanks.

So anyone done this and have recommendations?

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Polk db351...It came highly recommended from others on the forum and they weren't wrong. Great speaker, it very noticeably cleaned up the front sound stage. I did have to dremel the bars on the speaker cover to clear the tweeter. If you have a PP car I believe you can under mount the speaker and be GTG.

It's sort of accepted that bang for the buck on cleaning up the sound for these cars goes in this order

1. Center speaker
2. Tweeters
3. Door speakers

I did tweeters shortly after and the gain was pretty minimal. Center speaker is where it is at!
Is factory center 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Is there ANY issue with swapping an 8 for a 4?

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Is factory center 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Is there ANY issue with swapping an 8 for a 4?
I don't remember but I am sure it's buried in a thread here somewhere.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have not read any threads about the `18 MY systems and what impedance speakers they use. So, I would recommend taking off the door card and verifying so you don't buy incorrect speakers.

`15 - `17 MY systems used 2ohm speakers for the 401a package... I'm not sure why Ford would change that for the `18 MY?

You can also compare your amp labeling to see if it is similar to what is in this post;
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2144664&postcount=618

If it is, your speakers are likely 2ohm as well... but like I said, verify!
Sponsored